LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 196 users in the forums

OK, having a loony bin moment...talk me out of it...Shawne Merriman?

Shop 49ers game tickets
So, I'm watching NFL Total Access last night and I see that Shawne Merriman might be on the trade block.

I usually find it annoying when a guy is thought to be avaialable and somebody on the zone automatically says "hey, can we use this guy?". I NEVER thought that guy would be me.

Hear me out for a sec tho...

1) One of the 49ers biggest needs is for a dominant Pass Rusher. Merriman is still recovering from knee surgury, but moving forward he could regain his form (obviously the trade would be contingent on siging him to a long term contract).

2) Greg Manusky was the LB coach in San Diego when Wade Phillips was the DC. Manusky knows Merriman and runs the same D that SD runs.

3) The Niners have a history of ALMOST pulling off trades for players in the last year of their deals just prior to the trade deadline. They almost made a move for Lance Briggs and they almost made a move for Nate Clements (whom they ended up signing anyway in the offseason).

4) The Niners have 2 first rounders. When I heard McGloughan interviewed on KNBR after the Crabtree signing he said the 49ers have 2 first rounders "right now". At the time I thought it was odd that he phrased it that way and I thought maybe he was expecting something from the tampering case...but maybe he is anticipating a trade.

5) Merriman is also friends with Vernon Davis...they both played at Maryland.

6) A LB core of Merriman, Willis, Spikes, Lawson may be the best in the NFL.

Now...I know this may be out there (queue all naysayers and people calling to lock this thread), but doesn't this just kinda seem to make some sense?

I know there will be some who say that SD would never trade him, but he's in the last year of his deal and they don't want to give him a big $$$ contract. Some will say he's washed up and not worth it, but the guy is still in his 20's and still recovering from an injury.

If this WERE to happen, it would be stragely similar to the trade the Niners made for Fred Dean back in the day.

I know...crazy talk....please talk me out of this. ;-)
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I usually find it annoying when a guy is thought to be avaialable and somebody on the zone automatically says "hey, can we use this guy?". I NEVER thought that guy would be me.

Not for a first rounder.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

LOL...I know, I know....
So, I'm watching NFL Total Access last night and I see that Shawne Merriman might be on the trade block.

1) One of the 49ers biggest needs is for a dominant Pass Rusher. Merriman is still recovering from knee surgury, but moving forward he could regain his form (obviously the trade would be contingent on siging him to a long term contract).

2) Greg Manusky was the LB coach in San Diego when Wade Phillips was the DC. Manusky knows Merriman and runs the same D that SD runs.

3) The Niners have a history of ALMOST pulling off trades for players in the last year of their deals just prior to the trade deadline. They almost made a move for Lance Briggs and they almost made a move for Nate Clements (whom they ended up signing anyway in the offseason).

4) The Niners have 2 first rounders. When I heard McGloughan interviewed on KNBR after the Crabtree signing he said the 49ers have 2 first rounders "right now". At the time I thought it was odd that he phrased it that way and I thought maybe he was expecting something from the tampering case...but maybe he is anticipating a trade.

Now...I know this may be out there (queue all naysayers and people calling to lock this thread), but doesn't this just kinda seem to make some sense?

I know there will be some who say that SD would never trade him, but he's in the last year of his deal and they don't want to give him a big $$$ contract. Some will say he's washed up and not worth it, but the guy is still in his 20's and still recovering from an injury.

If this WERE to happen, it would be stragely similar to the trade the Niners made for Fred Dean back in the day.

we have other needs! ahmad brooks is finally stepping up! the front line and linebackers are playing excellent before the atlanta game! plus we have other NEEDS of improvement!
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
HELL NO..so he can bring that stoopid Tila Tequila bytch with him? No Thanks..
Originally posted by alanbeez22:

we have other needs! ahmad brooks is finally stepping up! the front line and linebackers are playing excellent before the atlanta game! plus we have other NEEDS of improvement!

Of course we have other needs, but you don't get to choose whats available.

IMO the 49ers biggest needs are RT, OG, and Pass Rushing OLB. I don't see many RT or OG available.
I wanted to make a thread about him so thanks for this.

He would be a huge help. I think he could help us 10 fold over anyone we have rushing the QB now. He is pretty solid against the run as well. I know his knee is still an issue, but can't we say the same with Lawson..and he is starting for us.

I think we should do something to get him. He has been in contested division races. Playoffs. And his skill set can't be knocked.

And my main point, to say "we need the draft pick..etc" is a lame argument. I rather trade for Merriman than really have to wait 3-4 years for someone to "breakout". And also, with someone of the rookies/2 years players making little to no impact..trading for an experienced player ALSO can help a team.
We have Parys Haralson. Who has been improving every year. He has a better attitude. Merriman hasn't been the same after the steroids and knee issues. Plus his attitude is iffy as well.

He was a dominant pass-rusher before the steroids and knee problem. Now he is a question mark.

Our issue on this team is not our defense. Our #1 issue is our Oline. I would much rather trade a #1 pick for an Olineman. Like Eagles did for Peters.
Originally posted by alanbeez22:

Of course we have other needs, but you don't get to choose whats available.

IMO the 49ers biggest needs are RT, OG, and Pass Rushing OLB. I don't see many RT or OG available.

i'd rather save our picks next year and make a move at a more HEALTHY elite OLB... Merriman has been on the DECLINE since he got caught for steroids! your thoughts?

• 49ersince86
  • Info N/A
For the type of compensation the Chargers would want for him I don't see it as a smart move. He is comming off a major injury, has only 8 tackles in 4 games this year with no sacks. Not to mention he is a free agent next year.
Merriman > Haralson right now?
I wouldn't be against the idea, as long as it was for reasonable picks. I also think it would be a great addition for the playoff push later in the year.
Yes very true. I think if you have a chance to get someone like Merriman you can help other positions on the team.

If Lewis is out for a long period of time, adding a pass rusher like Merriman will take pressure off the secondary and really have the oppostion not want to take 7 step drops, etc..
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
HELL NO..so he can bring that stoopid Tila Tequila bytch with him? No Thanks..

haha, like the football based reasoning on that one.
Share 49ersWebzone