So, I'm watching NFL Total Access last night and I see that Shawne Merriman might be on the trade block.
I usually find it annoying when a guy is thought to be avaialable and somebody on the zone automatically says "hey, can we use this guy?". I NEVER thought that guy would be me.
Hear me out for a sec tho...
1) One of the 49ers biggest needs is for a dominant Pass Rusher. Merriman is still recovering from knee surgury, but moving forward he could regain his form (obviously the trade would be contingent on siging him to a long term contract).
2) Greg Manusky was the LB coach in San Diego when Wade Phillips was the DC. Manusky knows Merriman and runs the same D that SD runs.
3) The Niners have a history of ALMOST pulling off trades for players in the last year of their deals just prior to the trade deadline. They almost made a move for Lance Briggs and they almost made a move for Nate Clements (whom they ended up signing anyway in the offseason).
4) The Niners have 2 first rounders. When I heard McGloughan interviewed on KNBR after the Crabtree signing he said the 49ers have 2 first rounders "right now". At the time I thought it was odd that he phrased it that way and I thought maybe he was expecting something from the tampering case...but maybe he is anticipating a trade.
5) Merriman is also friends with Vernon Davis...they both played at Maryland.
6) A LB core of Merriman, Willis, Spikes, Lawson may be the best in the NFL.
Now...I know this may be out there (queue all naysayers and people calling to lock this thread), but doesn't this just kinda seem to make some sense?
I know there will be some who say that SD would never trade him, but he's in the last year of his deal and they don't want to give him a big $$$ contract. Some will say he's washed up and not worth it, but the guy is still in his 20's and still recovering from an injury.
If this WERE to happen, it would be stragely similar to the trade the Niners made for Fred Dean back in the day.
I know...crazy talk....please talk me out of this. ;-)