LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Eli Manning Injury = Bad News for Giants

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by teeohh:
what's going to happen to the giants now

alex smith
Manning injury=bad news for my fantasy team. Could care less about the Giants.
Do you mean to say that you think you know his injury based on that funky dance he did....I guess that was the same dance you did?
Originally posted by danimal:
Do you mean to say that you think you know his injury based on that funky dance he did....I guess that was the same dance you did?

Bill Bird don't do funky dances.
The injury COULD be worse than initially thought, but it really depends on Eli's pain threshold and how bad the tear is.

And I know I'm in the severe minority here, but I think David Carr is a very good backup and will do a good job filling in if necessary.
Originally posted by ramanz16:
The injury COULD be worse than initially thought, but it really depends on Eli's pain threshold and how bad the tear is.

And I know I'm in the severe minority here, but I think David Carr is a very good backup and will do a good job filling in if necessary.

Bump

So whats up.. is he playing?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ramanz16:

Bump

So whats up.. is he playing?

I saw a headline that they will give him a "test drive", I guess to see how he handles the pain

They play the raiders though, so all they really need is one touchdown to win
I had Plantar Faciitis on both of my feet last year and yes it was very painful ... BUT ... after I had the doctor give me a cortisone (steroid) shot on both feet, it took about 3 days and the pain was gone!

However, the doctor told me not over stress it because I could tear up something else which I may NOT feel and could make the situation worse later on.

They take about a six inch needle and shoot it just below the arch and up toward s the ankle. It's a very painful shot while being done, but the relief was almost instant.

Cortisone shots doesn't work all the time and not at all with some people. Also the effects of the shots for some wear off after a few months and they have to do it again. So far so good with my feet and it's been over a year.

So yes, I can see how Eli Manning WOULD be able to play this weekend against the Raiders. Not something I would recommend since almost anybody could beat the Raiders at this point. I would rest him for at least another couple of weeks.

What they're risking if they play him is a serious injury which they may not know about until the pain comes back. Cortisone is a PAIN killer as well as a medicine to reduce inflammation.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 10, 2009 at 16:44:41 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by kray28:
Uhm....plantar fasciitis is NOT a career ending injury.

It might have hurt badly for you.....but people have different pain thresholds. PF pain can be managed, and I know plenty of athletes that have played through it.

This is not an injury you "play through." That suggests that it gets better with time.

It doesn't "get better" with time. It "gets worse."

I find it interesting that those who have suffered this injury themselves agree with the points that I've made -- but those of you who haven't keep pointing to other athletes who have suffered similar injuries.

The way Eli was limping around on Sunday? Reminded me of me. He couldn't put any weight on his heel. It hurts that bad people. It doesn't get better with time or any easier to deal with. It just gets worse.

Yes -- in some cases surgery can help. Most of time, it doesn't. I know of no player who has suffered this injury and come back to play at the same level pre-injury regardless of age.

It's just freakish how the injury occurs. One moment you're fine and with one step -- WHAMMO -- pain city.

He already had the injury before aggravating it further on Sunday.

Quote:
The Giants confirmed Manning has been suffering from plantar fasciitis, a painful condition that involves irritation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot. He then injured the ligament on Sunday.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/10/ny_giants_eli_manning_hoping_t.html

Quote:
"It's not as serious an injury as [the doctor] has seen before, where it's the whole foot that's hurting," Manning said in an interview on ESPN Radio in New York. "It's just kind of a portion of it."

Quote:
Dr. Steven Weinfeld, chief of foot and ankle surgery from Mount Sinai's Department of Orthopaedics in New York City, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press that the injury could be treated by taping the foot, stretching, cushioning the area and using ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatory medicine. He said cortisone injections also can help.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4533731

[ Edited by KRS-1 on Oct 10, 2009 at 17:03:43 ]
I hope Manning is ok and he throws touchdowns to Manningham and Steve Steve

Manning schmanning. They Have David Carr
He seems to be ok thrashing the raiders!!!
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
He seems to be ok thrashing the raiders!!!

Well its the raiders

He doesn't seem to be planting his foot and driving the ball though.
sometimes the shots work. All the time Orthodics work when combined to the shots. It just takes a couple of weeks to get used to the orthodics. I have plantar and it is something that seldom goes away unless you can stay off your feet for a long period of time. I tried the shots, they didn't work. I tried the orthodics, they didn't work well. Then the doc gave me a shot and told me to keep wearing the orthodics. That was 4 years ago and I still have to wear the things. But no more pain on a daily basis.
it's not bad news if you can score enough points in the first half to let him sit out the second.
Share 49ersWebzone