LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 226 users in the forums

Bo Jackson's draft history

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mile-highNINER
  • Info N/A
With the whole Crabtree fiasco going on & the different ways this could end up I started thinking about other players.
What was the story behind Bo Jackson? I know he was originally drafted by the Bucs but missed a year & ended up getting drafted by the Raiders. I'm pretty sure he ended up playing professional baseball at that time too. Did he hold out? Was it a money issue or more of a Buccanneers suck issue? Or was it that he was undecided on what to do?
  • mile-highNINER
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Jackson was drafted first overall in the 1986 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, the Buccaneers, not wanting their new draftee to injure himself playing baseball for Auburn that year, took Jackson on a trip in a private plane that cost him his college eligibility. They also gave Jackson an ultimatum to choose baseball or football. This prompted him to sign with the Kansas City Royals. Since he did not sign with a team by the 1987 draft, his rights were forfeited by Tampa Bay and his name was thrown back into the draft. The Los Angeles Raiders selected Jackson in the 7th round with the 183rd overall pick. Raiders owner Al Davis supported Jackson and his baseball career and got Jackson to sign a contract by offering him a salary that was comparable to a full-time starting running back but allowing Jackson to only play part-time until the baseball season was done.

fair enough.
Score one for the internet.
which to me just illustrates how important it is to understand what motivates a guy before you draft him.

I don't blame the Bucs for not wanting him to play baseball, because they drafted him 1.1 !!

I don't blame the Raiders for letting him play baseball, because they drafted him in the 7th !!

The mistake was on the Bucs not appreciating his other aspirations which should have precluded him being so high on their board.

Just like the Niners made the mistake of not understanding what motivates a guy like Crabtree. It was not a steal, because a guy like Crabtree has an ego that won't allow him to be disrespected. Therefore he should not of even been on the Niners board.
Bo had a back up plan. He had pro baseball. What does Crabs have for a back up?
Originally posted by kingairta:

fashion design

Plus a running back can come in and have immediate success. Crabtree has already lost at least 1 year of decent production.
Originally posted by mile-highNINER:
Jackson was drafted first overall in the 1986 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, the Buccaneers, not wanting their new draftee to injure himself playing baseball for Auburn that year, took Jackson on a trip in a private plane that cost him his college eligibility. They also gave Jackson an ultimatum to choose baseball or football. This prompted him to sign with the Kansas City Royals. Since he did not sign with a team by the 1987 draft, his rights were forfeited by Tampa Bay and his name was thrown back into the draft. The Los Angeles Raiders selected Jackson in the 7th round with the 183rd overall pick. Raiders owner Al Davis supported Jackson and his baseball career and got Jackson to sign a contract by offering him a salary that was comparable to a full-time starting running back but allowing Jackson to only play part-time until the baseball season was done.

fair enough.

internet? I typed all that up from memory

I think he just meant ask and yee shall get answer. But that is an impressive memory.
Originally posted by mile-highNINER:

fair enough.

internet? I typed all that up from memory

haha....awesome.
that is cold f**king blooded. if a team pulls some s**t like that i would leave them high and dry too.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

fashion design

Versace look out

Share 49ersWebzone