LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Who was the bigger bust?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who was the bigger bust?

Both were #1 overall picks.

I wanna say Carr, just because it was believed that he would be great, a lot of people had doubts about Alex.
Right now David Carr,but Alex Smith isn't too far away
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Its close. Both have been horrible.
unfortunetly its Smith. I hope he can rebound since i am and Alex supporter.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex Smith because he got paid more money.
Smith! A bust?!!! WTF, he's only 20some and has potential!
David Carr, Alex still has a chance to be a starter, can we really say that about David Carr??
The numbers don't lie. It's Alex Smith by a mile.

Career QB rating for Carr: 74.9
Career QB rating for Smith: 63.5
David Carr's never going to get a chance to start on any team ever again, Smith has that chance this year
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Apr 6, 2009 at 12:37 PM ]
Im gonna say Carr since he played consistently and still never made anything with it.

Smith has been out with injuries. Tho that is another form of busting.

A. Smith for sure. Carr has had other teams interested when he was done with his first contract. Alex Smith has no interest outside of S.F., and that is only becaue of prior investment. In economics it's called sunken cost. We should cut our losses and move on. Carr could still start somewhere in the league. Smith v. Carr, I'm taking Carr all day.
Originally posted by 4DNinersSon:
A. Smith for sure. Carr has had other teams interested when he was done with his first contract. Alex Smith has no interest outside of S.F., and that is only becaue of prior investment. In economics it's called sunken cost. We should cut our losses and move on. Carr could still start somewhere in the league. Smith v. Carr, I'm taking Carr all day.

what are you talking about?

first carr, did he ever start after houston? i don't think so. and his contract was minimal. then smith is still technically on his 1st contract, so he could not have had any interest in him.

and you say we are still sinking money in him? no we are not. i believe he is making less now than what his cap hit would have been with an outright release.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for 49erjoe.
druckenmiller
alex hasent had enough time yet
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by 4DNinersSon:

what are you talking about?

first carr, did he ever start after houston? i don't think so. and his contract was minimal. then smith is still technically on his 1st contract, so he could not have had any interest in him.

and you say we are still sinking money in him? no we are not. i believe he is making less now than what his cap hit would have been with an outright release.

I didn't say that we were "sinking money" into him, I said that we should consider what we have paid him as "sunken costs" the theory that says regardless of your prior investment, if a project, in this case A. Smith, is not going to get what you want then let it go rather than say, "We've already put $X into it so lets stick with it." Watch Carr in games he has played in lately, I'd take him over A. Smith in every situation. If A. Smith were a UFA he would not be signed by anyone.
Share 49ersWebzone