There are 236 users in the forums

Who was the bigger bust?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who was the bigger bust?

Carr got stuck on a expansion team.
Originally posted by Mike8016:
Carr got stuck on a expansion team.

that team wasn't much worse than what alex got stuck iwith. atleast they had an all pro tackle to protect his blindside.
Originally posted by 4DNinersSon:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
A. Smith for sure. Carr has had other teams interested when he was done with his first contract. Alex Smith has no interest outside of S.F., and that is only becaue of prior investment. In economics it's called sunken cost. We should cut our losses and move on. Carr could still start somewhere in the league. Smith v. Carr, I'm taking Carr all day.

what are you talking about?

first carr, did he ever start after houston? i don't think so. and his contract was minimal. then smith is still technically on his 1st contract, so he could not have had any interest in him.

and you say we are still sinking money in him? no we are not. i believe he is making less now than what his cap hit would have been with an outright release.

I didn't say that we were "sinking money" into him, I said that we should consider what we have paid him as "sunken costs" the theory that says regardless of your prior investment, if a project, in this case A. Smith, is not going to get what you want then let it go rather than say, "We've already put $X into it so lets stick with it." Watch Carr in games he has played in lately, I'd take him over A. Smith in every situation. If A. Smith were a UFA he would not be signed by anyone.

Unless you have some evidence, that last sentence should have "in my opinion" tacked on the end of it. I think a number of teams would have taken a shot on him, and that was the underlying tone I read into the coverage of his renegotiations
  • Dino
  • Veteran
David Carr >>> Alex Smith
Houston at least got more then 1 season out of him.
Its close but I will say Carr at this point in time. If Smith doesn't earn the starting spot sometime this year and then fades away from the league then Smith would get my vote.
A. Smith for sure. Carr has had other teams interested when he was done with his first contract. Alex Smith has no interest outside of S.F., and that is only becaue of prior investment. In economics it's called sunken cost. We should cut our losses and move on. Carr could still start somewhere in the league. Smith v. Carr, I'm taking Carr all day.

How the hell do you know that Smith had no interest outside of SF? You do know that he wasn't released and re-signed, right?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

How the hell do you know that Smith had no interest outside of SF? You do know that he wasn't released and re-signed, right?

-9fA

Yeah, I had a problem with that statement also.

1) I think the lack of surrounding talent has been pretty similar for both of them. That's a wash.

2) Carr is done, and Alex still has a VERY SMALL chance to make something of himself. That goes to Alex.

3) Carr played better overall (while still poorly) when he played. That goes to Carr.

4) Smith has been injured and has had a horrible carousel at OC. Carr doesn't have those excuses. That goes to Smith.

Basically, I think Smith has been less of a bust at this point, but not by much.
  • Rochi516
  • Info N/A
Tim Couch should be in this conversation too.
Alex Smith is one of the biggest busts in NFL history, right next to tim couch and ryan leaf

who is still with the team who drafted him?
Originally posted by 49erjoe:
druckenmiller

I would check that TD to INT ratio in their first year.

Druckenmiller: 1/4
Smith: 1/11
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Choosing Rodgers over Alex Smith was a no brainer for me.

Pac 10 offense = almost as good as a NFL offense.

I dont even know what conference the utes play in.

My point is, i dindt have high expectations for alex smith so i'll go with carr
Originally posted by Brew:

The WAC,,,,,,,,,
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
Originally posted by Brew:

The WAC,,,,,,,,,

Nope its the MWC.
Share 49ersWebzone