LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Who got the better end of the JAY CUTLER trade?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who got the better end of the JAY CUTLER trade?

Imagine what Scott McCloughlan could do with 2 1st Round Picks and an extra 3rd round pick!

Originally posted by Hornblower:
I don't think there is a better end of this trade. It makes great sense both ways. The Broncos HAD to trade Cutler and what they got in return was verrrry nice. And the Bears got a young stud QB that they have been lacking for decades.

I agree. The bears will benefit in the short term but how can you not like having two first round picks the next two seasons for the broncos? The broncos felt they needed several players.

The bears are getting a little old on defense. This was definitely a shot at winning now type of trade for them. The bears will be big free agent players the next couple of years. Both of the starting DE's and one of their DT's will be over thirty this year.
Broncos easily.

Look at the circumstances:

DENVER Landed: Starting QB who played well despite no protection and no receivers, PLUS picks to build the team around him.

CHICAGO Landed: A Better starting QB who may not perform as well without any weapons, as well as now being on a team with horrible OL issue. Not only that, but Chicago lost important picks they could have used to help in those areas. Now they have Cutler, but less picks to work with to fix their OL and WR issues.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
The fact that McDaniels has able to develop 2 players into excellent QBs in his system speaks volume to the trade.

I think McDaniels can groom Orton to be a legit starter, and they get 2 first round draft picks, and a 3rd round draft pick is highway robbery.

If the Broncos come away with:

R1: Raji - NT
R1: Johnson - DE/OLB
R2: Delmas - S

--- They would have an AMAZING DRAFT.
Whatever anyone says at this point is a guess.
Originally posted by GEEK:
The fact that McDaniels has able to develop 2 players into excellent QBs in his system speaks volume to the trade.

I think McDaniels can groom Orton to be a legit starter, and they get 2 first round draft picks, and a 3rd round draft pick is highway robbery.

How can you say that if McDaniels drafts 1-2 busts with the picks he got from Chicago?

This trade looks even now and cannot be properly evaluated for some time
Originally posted by Mike8016:
Orton is a solid QB. The Bears gave up to much though. But if they win a Super Bowl it wouldn't matter.

im drafting devin hester in next year's fantasy football draft.. i could see cutler to hester working out amazingly.. hesters speed down the field mixed up with cutler's deep throw.. CHAMPIONSHIP !
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

How can you say that if McDaniels drafts 1-2 busts with the picks he got from Chicago?

My point is if he can make Orton work in his offensive system, and draft 3-4 talent to improve that woeful defense of Mike Nolan, then the Broncos would have won that trade.

My point is if he can make Orton work in his offensive system, and draft 3-4 talent to improve that woeful defense of Mike Nolan, then the Broncos would have won that trade.

Orton is just the temporary QB for McDaniels.

NFL draft picks are never a sure thing, as a 49er fan you should know that
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Much of that has to do with coaching in my opinion.

Think of it this way.

Denver has 4 first round picks in the next two years. tack on that third, and the chances of those all being busts is infinitesimally low.

What did the Broncos lose really? A good QB, but a baby and inconsistent high risk-taking player who Orton is not that much of a drop-off from with room to still develop.

They gained that, plus all those picks to build their team. Chicago flat out got raped in this trade. In both the short and the long run, I see no reason to believe that Denver will get the better deal. They now have room to even draft an extra QB for additional assurance as well.
wow I had no idea that people think this highly of Orton.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Think of it this way.

Denver has 4 first round picks in the next two years. tack on that third, and the chances of those all being busts is infinitesimally low.

What did the Broncos lose really? A good QB, but a baby and inconsistent high risk-taking player who Orton is not that much of a drop-off from with room to still develop.

They gained that, plus all those picks to build their team. Chicago flat out got raped in this trade. In both the short and the long run, I see no reason to believe that Denver will get the better deal. They now have room to even draft an extra QB for additional assurance as well.

Yeah but its what they do with the 2 from Chicago.

If you really think Orton is just a drop off from Cutler

Much of that has to do with coaching in my opinion.

True, and guess who would be developing the 3-4 players?

And McDaniels might be a good coach, he truly effed up the Cutler situation, I cant comment on his development of players, we have to wait and see
so the broncos get 2 first round picks, maybe BJ Raji and vonte davis this year, next year maybe (if they have too) trade up and get the next great S from USC plus an additional 3rd rounder that they can use on one of the deepest classes of RBs in years. Plus a QB who while he isn't the greatest, he protects the ball and keeps mistakes to a minnimal. A QB who for the first time in his career will actually have really good WRs to thow too.

on the other hand

Bears get a 5th round pick, and a clone of Grossman who might be a little better, but like Grossman takes a lot of risks and is damaged goods. This will also be the first year Grossman oh sorry Cutler will play for a new QB coach and coordinator, also with minimal talent in the OL, and WR possition.
So again, like I said, the bears got raped
Share 49ersWebzone