LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Who got the better end of the JAY CUTLER trade?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who got the better end of the JAY CUTLER trade?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by tidissis08:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Orton might put up the same numbers as Cutler this year...

I would agree, the bears don't have any WR.

Neither do we but you're expecting us to go to the playoffs this season?

Exactly bro we got no WR's that is why we need Crabtree on our team! Just Imagine him on our team?
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
so the broncos get 2 first round picks, maybe BJ Raji and vonte davis this year, next year maybe (if they have too) trade up and get the next great S from USC plus an additional 3rd rounder that they can use on one of the deepest classes of RBs in years. Plus a QB who while he isn't the greatest, he protects the ball and keeps mistakes to a minnimal. A QB who for the first time in his career will actually have really good WRs to thow too.

on the other hand

Bears get a 5th round pick, and a clone of Grossman who might be a little better, but like Grossman takes a lot of risks and is damaged goods. This will also be the first year Grossman oh sorry Cutler will play for a new QB coach and coordinator, also with minimal talent in the OL, and WR possition.
So again, like I said, the bears got raped

Please join my $500 fantasy league...PLEASE. You can have Orton straight up you won't have to draft him....I will give you an extra slot for him and everything...

I'll be jealous but hey I am a fair sport.

Im cool with that, I won my league with 7 different sarting QBs, if you want to give me your money, i'll take it
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
so the broncos get 2 first round picks, maybe BJ Raji and vonte davis this year, next year maybe (if they have too) trade up and get the next great S from USC plus an additional 3rd rounder that they can use on one of the deepest classes of RBs in years. Plus a QB who while he isn't the greatest, he protects the ball and keeps mistakes to a minnimal. A QB who for the first time in his career will actually have really good WRs to thow too.

on the other hand

Bears get a 5th round pick, and a clone of Grossman who might be a little better, but like Grossman takes a lot of risks and is damaged goods. This will also be the first year Grossman oh sorry Cutler will play for a new QB coach and coordinator, also with minimal talent in the OL, and WR possition.

Please join my $500 fantasy league...PLEASE. You can have Orton straight up you won't have to draft him....I will give you an extra slot for him and everything...

I think he might be a Cutler hater bc he claims Grossman (70 career passer rating) is a clone of Cutler

And I dont think he knows that last years draft was the deepest at RB

here's a stat for you
Cutler is 0-4 when Playoffs are on the line

on the other hand

Im cool with that, I won my league with 7 different sarting QBs, if you want to give me your money, i'll take it

hell yeah. he will still be playing from behind just like cutler was. and he is going to have the weapons to throw to. i am going to draft him if he falls. and will definatly look into devin hester if he falls as well
Broncos... unless Cutler improves his vision.
The Broncos.

the gap between Orton and Cutler is not TWO 1sts and a 3rd. the bears offense isnt designed for Jay Cutler. he doesnt have anyone to throw it to.

and now the bears have lost their hopes of rebuilding through the draft in the next couple years. so if cutler doesnt work out, theyre sunk big time.

on the other hand

I think he might be a Cutler hater bc he claims Grossman (70 career passer rating) is a clone of Cutler

here's a stat for you

Here is a stat for you, Denver's defense gave up 112 points in their last 3 games last year
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
wow I had no idea that people think this highly of Orton.

He had 18 TDs and only 12 INTs on a team with no WRs and no OL. Cutler had 25 TDs but 18 INTs, and he had Marshall and Royal to throw to. Lets see how he does with Brandon Lloyd and Devin Hester, and no OL.

Orton has a career QB rating of 70

Cutler has a career rating of 87

Did you not see what Cutler did with Vanderbilt? Talk about no O-line or Wr's

Dude career QB ratings for guys who have been in the league less than 4 years are pretty worthless. Cutler has had good WRs, good running game, good OL, good coach for all his years. Orton just broke out this year and he did well with no OL or WRs.

And it doesn't matter what Cutler did with Vanderbuilt. That's college, this is the NFL, big difference. He already throws a lot of INTs, now he's going to have way less protection and receivers who don't get open. How many more you think he's gonna throw now?

Sorry but he's an overrated immature cry baby jerk who was surrounded by a bunch of talent on his side of the ball with a great coach. Chicago got raped.

QB ratings mean something the first 4 years when you are putting up 88 your rookie year. I give Orton the benefit, but then you gotta give Cutler the benefit for doing it since day 1 as a rookie.

Orton had the beauty of Forte behind him and teams were stacking the box for Forte. Cutler's leading rusher had 383 yards last year. Cutler will benefit from Forte a lot.

Cutler had 18 INT's and Brees had 17 INT's, teams knew they were going to throw the ball and were waiting. Cutler has 1220 career attempts. Orton has 913. Yet Cutler only has 7 more INT's, but Cutler has 24 more TD's.

I think people who think that Denver got the better deal are the same ones who personally dont like Cutler.

I like 1st round picks, but franchise passers are better. Orton is a game manager and might not even start for Denver next year.

Good QB's make WR's better

The trade was fair for both sides.

No, I don't think so. I wanted him too. But the most I would've gave up was a 1st and 2nd.

Because there's no guarantee that he will play at or improve his level of play.
There's no guarantee he'll resign with us when his contract is up.
There's no guarantee he won't incur a career ending injury with our weakness at RT.

I just think if you are giving up that much, you better be guaranteed to go deep into the playoffs.

It goes both ways. There is no guarantee your draft picks will play up to potential and there is no guarantee that Orton will even be the starter next year for Denver
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
It’s kind of hard to answer this question now.

Jay could be a pro bowl QB for the next 10 years, or he could suck if Chicago doesn’t put some more talent around him, or he could blow out his knee and never play again.

Denver could hit on all the draft picks and Orton could be solid, or they could draft some duds and busts and Orton sucks.

Only time will tell.

Right now to answer I would rather have the proven talent than draft picks.

Quote:
When the Buccaneers selected University of Miami quarterback Vinny Testaverde first overall in the 1987 NFL Draft, Young was deemed a bust and traded to the San Francisco 49ers on April 24, 1987, to serve as a backup to Joe Montana. The Buccaneers received 2nd and 4th round draft picks in the trade, which they used to draft Miami linebacker Winston Moss, and Arizona State wide receiver Bruce Hill, respectively.

You think Tampa Bay was laughing at the 9ers over that deal? A 2nd and 4th for some bust QB.
I know who got the worst end of this whole thing and that's Jay Cutler.

He had the nerve to say that he didn't want it to go this far and that he was hoping to stay in Denver. Hey Jey, you idiot, you requested the trade!

Cutler throws a tight spiral and has great velocity on his throws. With the wind, that's a must in Chicago. I just don't see him having much success with the Bears. It's funny though. He could've played in the most QB-friendly offense around, but he acted liked a child and now he's stuck in QB-hell.

If McDaniels could turn Cassel into a star in only one season as a starter, he shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to run his offense in Denver.

I'm gonna say the Broncos

They got the extra picks which will help them rebuild their defense !!!!

Plus Kyle Orton should flourish under McDaniels and be productive enough to be the starting QB, but the Broncos will probably draft one and groom him for the future !!!
The real winner of this deal is Scott Pioli and the Kansas City Chiefs, who will be eager trading partners for someone looking for a QB and willing to jump Seattle to get him (Broncos?).

So essentially MacDaniels has now officially been worked by BOTH his former colleagues.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Apr 3, 2009 at 6:48 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The entire situation is retarded. Why in the world would you blow up the best part of your team?

What the hell is the owner thinking? Let’s see we tanked the last few games of the year and lost out on the playoffs because our defense couldn’t stop a college team. We had the 2nd ranked offense and almost last in the league in defense. I think I’m going to fire my HOF coach his OC bring in a new OC as head coach hire Mike Nolan for my DC then trade my franchise pro bowl QB because he doesn’t like what’s going on with the team.

I’d want to get out of dodge myself if that fool was running the show.

on the other hand

here's a stat for you

Here is a stat for you, Denver's defense gave up 112 points in their last 3 games last year

Cutler also threw 4 INTs to 2 TDs
And he rushed for 2 TD's. It's very difficult for teams to win over a 3 game stretch where the defense gives up 112 points.

So to blame only cutler is ignorant.
Share 49ersWebzone