LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Jay Cutler?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersfan4life:
Uhmm that he can play at a pro-bowl level? You do realize the Broncos had the 3rd WORST defense in the NFL, and towards the end of the season were on their 5th running back.
With all that in mind its pretty impressive that he got them to an 8-8 record.

I guess I'm just not as desperate as the rest of you to become a Cutler apologist. I'm wondering if you guys have ever seen him play or if you're just fantasy football gurus. The guy makes careless throws far too often.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for 49erLifer.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
and you would rather have alex? agian wow. Alteast he can win some games!

I would. And Alex can win games. Plus, if we're going to be a running team, Alex is a great QB to lead the offense. He makes wise decisions and will not turn the ball over as long as we provide him with decent protection.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erLifer:
Uhmm that he can play at a pro-bowl level? You do realize the Broncos had the 3rd WORST defense in the NFL, and towards the end of the season were on their 5th running back.

I guess I'm just not as desperate as the rest of you to become a Cutler apologist. I'm wondering if you guys have ever seen him play or if you're just fantasy football gurus. The guy makes careless throws far too often.

We are desperate to get some production and long term consistency from the QB spot. I love what Hill has done but i feel its only a matter of time before teams figure him out. I'm wondering if you know how important a franchise QB is to a team. You can keep on dreaming that Alex might wake up one morning and learn to be even half the QB that Cutler is, I am gonna live in reality.
Do you people realize Cutler is 25 & has been in the league 3 yrs. yes he sometimes tries to make impossible throws & yes he is sometimes to emotional that is correctable but come on have you seen his talent level the sky is the limit for this guy he realistically could challenge to be the best QB in the league when Brady & Peyton hang it up. I am starting to see why fans get laughed at there are actually people who would rather keep Hill & Smith as opposed to getting Cutler are you f**king kidding me. If there is any chance at all to get this kid you do it QB's mean everything to a team if you want to win the SB.

I would. And Alex can win games. Plus, if we're going to be a running team, Alex is a great QB to lead the offense. He makes wise decisions and will not turn the ball over as long as we provide him with decent protection.

11-19 career record.

19 TDs 31 INTs, 27 fumbles

146.2 career yards/game <

Yea, I'd much rather have Alex, LOL.

We are desperate to get some production and long term consistency from the QB spot. I love what Hill has done but i feel its only a matter of time before teams figure him out. I'm wondering if you know how important a franchise QB is to a team. You can keep on dreaming that Alex might wake up one morning and learn to be even half the QB that Cutler is, I am gonna live in reality.

This is a thread I'd like to bump in a few years. Someone is going to look foolish.
Originally posted by NinerNZ:
Originally posted by RKab:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
cutler sucks ass, Smith beat him when Denver was win and in and lost to Smith. Cutler is the most overrated QB i've seen in a while. I'll pass on the choke job thank you very much

True that, please do not trade for cutler,

You guys are aware that there were 2 NFL seasons since then. And that was Cutler's 5th NFL game as the starter and since then he's become a pro bowl QB.

Since then Alex Smith has become the biggest bust in 49er history and has not been able to stay healthy enough to even get on the field while Cutler is a career 87.1 passer who threw for 4,500+ yards last year.

I'd give them whatever they want outside of a Herschel Walker deal to get Cutler and get a franchise QB.

Clayton on ESPN just said Cutler is very upset with McDaniels and that Denver is fielding calls from a number of teams and has to seriously consider trading Cutler.

Since Nolan is so good with QBs, I think they need a Mike Nolan-Jay Cutler sit down, that will guarantee he'll want to play somewhere else, lol.

Hey! . . . don't be injecting any realism into this discussion.
Cutler doesn't rate enough to carry Alex's jock . . . let's leave it at that!

You do realize that cutler doesn't have a winning record at all..who cares if he was a pro bowl qb, I belive d anderson was to and he got benched, wasn't jeff george a pro bowler on year and he was a strong armed qb, cutler is garbage man I'm not saying aex is the best qb I'm saying I'd rather have shaun hill start than waste picks on gay cutler

This is a thread I'd like to bump in a few years. Someone is going to look foolish.

Originally posted by LeathafaceUCSD:

11-19 career record.

As I said before, those numbers don't mean anything. Who has Alex had protecting him? What receivers has Alex had to throw to? Who have been Alex's offensive coordinators? What degree shoulder seperation did Alex have to play with? Three? You mean where there is complete seperation?

Lets see what he can do with protection and a decent target.

• Shifty
  • Veteran

2 things i have an issue with here:

1: If you project Alex's #'s for playing in 37 games (which Cutler has) he would have roughly the same amount of INT's while playing in conservative offenses while Cutler has been in aggressive offense. Alex has thrown 12 more INT's than TD's while Cutler has thrown 17 more TD's than INT's.

In terms of yards and TD's what Cutler did last year alone equals what Alex has done in his entire career, while Cutler has also an 8% higher completion rate and almost 25 higher QB rating in career #'s. So to sum it up, Cutler and Alex are basically on the same level in terms of turning the ball over while Cutler has been MUCH MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE than Alex in terms of yardage, TD's and Completion %. Remember Alex Smith in a West Coast offense? 1TD and 11INT's? Then take a look at Cutler and it's that much more impressive.

2: The second part of your sentence is the most obvious general statement you can make which can EASILY apply to Cutler as well.

Check and Mate
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

11-19 career record.

I'm blinded by how amazing those #'s are.

2 things i have an issue with here:

1: If you project Alex's #'s for playing in 37 games (which Cutler has) he would have roughly the same amount of INT's while playing in conservative offenses while Cutler has been in aggressive offense. Alex has thrown 12 more INT's than TD's while Cutler has thrown 17 more TD's than INT's.

In terms of yards and TD's what Cutler did last year alone equals what Alex has done in his entire career, while Cutler has also an 8% higher completion rate and almost 25 higher QB rating in career #'s. So to sum it up, Cutler and Alex are basically on the same level in terms of turning the ball over while Cutler has been MUCH MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE than Alex in terms of yardage, TD's and Completion %. Remember Alex Smith in a West Coast offense? 1TD and 11INT's? Then take a look at Cutler and it's that much more impressive.

2: The second part of your sentence is the most obvious general statement you can make which can EASILY apply to Cutler as well.

Check and Mate

Comparing Cutler's numbers to Smith's is ridiculous. If you think that is a solid argument, you're kidding yourself. The 49ers have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past 10 years. The Broncos on the other hand have been a competitive team. Alex Smith was thrown into a horrible situation and was not provide any support (minus Norv Turner). Cutler has been able to play in a stable offense with an excellent supporting cast. If Alex Smith had Brandon Marshall to throw to and nothing else, his numbers would be a lot better as well.

You didn't check mate anything. Your argument is bogus.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

11-19 career record.

As I said before, those numbers don't mean anything. Who has Alex had protecting him? What receivers has Alex had to throw to? Who have been Alex's offensive coordinators? What degree shoulder seperation did Alex have to play with? Three? You mean where there is complete seperation?

Lets see what he can do with protection and a decent target.

Alex is 4 years into his career, the shoulder on his throwing arm is f**ked and he has never played at near the level of a guy like Cutler over a 16 game period.

Keep making Alexcuses, in maybe another 2-3 years you will run out i'm sure.

Also if by some divine miracle Alex actually does become a good QB i won't care that I'm wrong on this cause it will mean the 49ers have found themselves a good QB and i wouldn't have wasted $70 on an Alex Smith jersey

Yes. And it will be you. You ask us if we have ever even seen Cutler play QB? I am sure we have seen the guy play a few times. LOL Some of us may have even seen him play every fricking game he has played. Its amazing what the NFL channel will do for you.

As people have pointed out, Cutler was handicapped by having no running game and having to throw more than Denver would have liked. Denver had a horrible defense and he can hardly be blamed for the 8-8 record.

Comparing Cutler to Alex Smith is a joke. Cutler has actually won in this league, has a much stronger arm, and is someone that can be considered a franchise type QB. Smith.... all he can be considered is a monumental bust.
Share 49ersWebzone