There are 299 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: The Shaun Hill Starship

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GeecheeNiner
  • Info N/A
I endorse Hill, but still want to see a competition between him and Smith.
Originally posted by GeecheeNiner:
I endorse Hill, but still want to see a competition between him and Smith.

I wish we move on with out Alex i am sick of hearing about this guy i like others ( suckers) went out and bought his useless Jersy and now i am stuck with an ass wipe wragg !
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by billybonka:
Hill >>>> Alex Leaf

THEY ARE THE SAME FREAKIN QB for cryin out loud.

If you like Hill better than Smith, fine. But to act like he is 10 times the QB Smith is, is just wrong.

You're completely overstating Hill's worth as a starting QB in the league.I'm not going to beat the reasons to death, since I seem to address them every time people keep bashing Smith. You all know the reasons why Smith is developmentally where he is at. Why take cheap shots at the kid? If he's not a 9er and if he pulls a Vick(either family scenario) then fine have at him. But he's done EVERYTHING that was asked of him. I think some people need to pull their head outta the cheap darkness. JJ deserves the criticism Alex does not. Geez.

~Ceadder

P.S. Does ANYONE besides me want there to be some kind of competition at the QB spot? That way come the 1st day of the season we have the BEST guy under Center?

I agree... I am completely down for competition. Currently, Hill definitely has the edge, and it is Alex's job to beat him out. If AS proves to be better (which I don't foresee), then throw him in there. I am gonna support whoever is behind center.

I don't want people to think that I am against Hill, because I am not. If he is our Starter, then I will cheer hust as hard for him as anyone who is a 9er fan should.

Hell I even TRIED to cheer for JTO but the guy kept shootin himself(and us) in the foot with the STUPID turnovers and ended up playing from behind in most of the games he Started.

But I do not believe that Hill has done enough to OWN the spot. Sorry but he's not what quite a few fans here seem to be peddling. He is not Mr. calm cool an collected, he only has a 40 yard and under arm and guess what, he is as mobile as Alex. Wow he even lost his helmet in a play and ran with the ball ala Steve Young. Big whup, didn't Alex lose his helmet and run with the ball too?

I just want a reasonable LEGITIMATE competition between the two, so that way I can feel confident in my team on game day. It's the fans that win, because no matter who Starts we can be confident that if they leave the field due to injury the other guy can go in cold and still do a solid job leading the team.

I'm not buying a ticket on any wagon (or star ship for that matter) until we get some continuity coming from the QB1 and OC spots. Until both are realistically on the same page, it's more foul weather ahead. And if that is the case then I'm staying home.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Feb 12, 2009 at 11:45:31 ]
Hill should start the first 3 games and if he's not performing well, pull him in the 2nd half of the 3rd game and put Alex in.
  • stopwatch
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mistersmith:
Hill should start the first 3 games and if he's not performing well, pull him in the 2nd half of the 3rd game and put Alex in.

wash your mouth out with soap. just say no to AS
Hill >>>> Alex Leaf

If you like Hill better than Smith, fine. But to act like he is 10 times the QB Smith is, is just wrong.

You're completely overstating Hill's worth as a starting QB in the league.I'm not going to beat the reasons to death, since I seem to address them every time people keep bashing Smith. You all know the reasons why Smith is developmentally where he is at. Why take cheap shots at the kid? If he's not a 9er and if he pulls a Vick(either family scenario) then fine have at him. But he's done EVERYTHING that was asked of him. I think some people need to pull their head outta the cheap darkness. JJ deserves the criticism Alex does not. Geez.

~Ceadder

P.S. Does ANYONE besides me want there to be some kind of competition at the QB spot? That way come the 1st day of the season we have the BEST guy under Center?

I agree... I am completely down for competition. Currently, Hill definitely has the edge, and it is Alex's job to beat him out. If AS proves to be better (which I don't foresee), then throw him in there. I am gonna support whoever is behind center.

I don't want people to think that I am against Hill, because I am not. If he is our Starter, then I will cheer hust as hard for him as anyone who is a 9er fan should.

Hell I even TRIED to cheer for JTO but the guy kept shootin himself(and us) in the foot with the STUPID turnovers and ended up playing from behind in most of the games he Started.

But I do not believe that Hill has done enough to OWN the spot. Sorry but he's not what quite a few fans here seem to be peddling. He is not Mr. calm cool an collected, he only has a 40 yard and under arm and guess what, he is as mobile as Alex. Wow he even lost his helmet in a play and ran with the ball ala Steve Young. Big whup, didn't Alex lose his helmet and run with the ball too?

I just want a reasonable LEGITIMATE competition between the two, so that way I can feel confident in my team on game day. It's the fans that win, because no matter who Starts we can be confident that if they leave the field due to injury the other guy can go in cold and still do a solid job leading the team.

I'm not buying a ticket on any wagon (or star ship for that matter) until we get some continuity coming from the QB1 and OC spots. Until both are realistically on the same page, it's more foul weather ahead. And if that is the case then I'm staying home.

~Ceadder

I wouldn't mind Hill having to fight for the job if we brought in a QB who has proven more than Hill has but since the QBs we have right now have not played better than Hill, I believe it is vital to have 1 starter going into training camp for player ownership purposes and leadership purposes along with identity. If there's a competition, the offense won't know which identity to expect.

Now, give Hill that ownership and the offense that identity from the start to allow for chemistry but if Hill is not able to sustain this into his 3rd regular season game, then the switch should be made.

Either way, I don't care. If Singletary wants Hill to compete with Smith, then put Smith as the #1 guy from the beginning and see how he fares through game 3. I don't want the competition in training camp because TC is vital in installing the playbook and developing a team.

Put one or the other at #1 throughout until his performance affect real games. So far, with a 7-3 record as a starter, it should be Hill.

Competition is a good thing for certain positions, but NOT at QB. Especially not when one guy has shown to do everything you ask him to do and there isn't anyone else who completely stands out ahead of him.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Hill >>>> Alex Leaf

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Did he...I don't remember that....what game?
Originally posted by stopwatch:
Originally posted by mistersmith:

wash your mouth out with soap. just say no to AS

I don't see anything wrong with this idea. IF Hill isn't doing well, give Alex a shot and see what he can do with solid players around him.
Yeah, I think Alex had his chances, again...and again..and again. I didn't see any great moments in 3 years...that's a long long time in the NFL!
Compare that with Rodgers, Joe Flaco, Matt Ryan in their rookie years, enough said.
I think Hill has proven with his game and toughness that he is a better QB...relatively.
If competition is the goal for training camp, I just hope we have someone better than Alex going against Hill.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Yeah, I think Alex had his chances, again...and again..and again. I didn't see any great moments in 3 years...that's a long long time in the NFL!
Compare that with Rodgers, Joe Flaco, Matt Ryan in their rookie years, enough said.
I think Hill has proven with his game and toughness that he is a better QB...relatively.
If competition is the goal for training camp, I just hope we have someone better than Alex going against Hill.

Rogers didn't play his rookie year.....as for Flacco & Ryan....kudos...now let see year 2.

Originally posted by Nes49:

Rogers didn't play his rookie year.....as for Flacco & Ryan....kudos...now let see year 2.

Hm...are you suggestingt that two rookies, who performed really well in their first year, and somehow "if" their performance falls in the 2nd year...that somehow proves that Alex will play better in his 4th year?
Honestly, Alex had his chances, I think that ship has sailed.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Hm...are you suggestingt that two rookies, who performed really well in their first year, and somehow "if" their performance falls in the 2nd year...that somehow proves that Alex will play better in his 4th year?

It would be the first time....

No, it's just that every other rookie QBs suck even though almost every other rookie QB in NFL history has performed better than Alex Smith but Alex Smith is going to be a better QB once he gets probowl, TE, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, WR#1, WR#2, WR#3, FB, NT, RDE, LDE, ROLB, LOLB, Mike, Ted, FS, SS, LCB, RCB, and....

Punter and returners.

Once Alex Smith has all of these, then he will be exactly what we drafted him to be and he won't be wasted by crap coaching and inconstant OCs.
Originally posted by Joecool:

No, it's just that every other rookie QBs suck even though almost every other rookie QB in NFL history has performed better than Alex Smith but Alex Smith is going to be a better QB once he gets probowl, TE, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, WR#1, WR#2, WR#3, FB, NT, RDE, LDE, ROLB, LOLB, Mike, Ted, FS, SS, LCB, RCB, and....

Punter and returners.

Once Alex Smith has all of these, then he will be exactly what we drafted him to be and he won't be wasted by crap coaching and inconstant OCs.

Nope because after all of that we will change OC's and he will be lost and clueless again.

Man, I wish we could have drafted Flacco or Ryan.
Hill >>>> Alex Leaf

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Did he...I don't remember that....what game?

It happened when Norv was our OC. I do not recall which game but I do remember that it happened.

I apologize for being sketchy about the game that it happened in. Day off from school and work today so I been up all night GTA'n it....

So not much is accessible right now.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Feb 13, 2009 at 16:01:41 ]
Share 49ersWebzone