LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Football: 101

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
whats the difference between offsides and neutral zone infraction?

Neutral zone infraction is when the defensive player jumping offsides causes the offensive player to move.

Yup, offside is where you line up on the ball.

-9fA
The entire FB/HB name assignments are backwards.

If the QB is called the QB because he's a quarter of the ways back, then the FB should be called the Half Back since he's half the way back and the TailBack should be called the Full Back because he's the full distance back.

Now throw in this damn H-Back and it's all jacked. The renames should be this:

PB-primary ball carrier
BB-Blocking Back
HB-Half Full Back/Half TE
Originally posted by Joecool:
The entire FB/HB name assignments are backwards.

If the QB is called the QB because he's a quarter of the ways back, then the FB should be called the Half Back since he's half the way back and the TailBack should be called the Full Back because he's the full distance back.

Now throw in this damn H-Back and it's all jacked. The renames should be this:

PB-primary ball carrier
BB-Blocking Back
HB-Half Full Back/Half TE

lol, I have always wondered this.

-9fA
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
why do most OT's have to be 6'5''-6'7''?

I know right? Makes it hard for the shorty quarterbacks to see.

Was I the only one that thought Troy Smith last year struggled to see over (actually around linemen) the line and was looking in between players too often?

Troy Smith has Donovan McNabb/Vince Young - itis. Meaning they are cocky pieces of hot trash. If it sounds like I'm picking on black QB's, I am. Too many of them want to go out there and play streetball and that s**t just doesn't work. I worry a little bit about Kap because of this. Here's hoping Big Jim can level his head out.

What exactly do you mean by "streetball"? The ability to scramble when a play breaks down?Does having swagger, or in your words being "cocky", constitute as "streetball"?

no... I think "streetball" means playing football in a non traditional style ie scrambling QB's, incorrect throwing mechanics, etc

I think that style of play(scrambling) ads another dimension, which is a plus imo, that's what helped Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, John Elway, and many others get SB's. In addition, McNabb turned into a pure pocket passer to get rid of the "black qb stigma" and did fairly good, but got rid of that added dimension. Ive seen games where he could have gotten the first, if he wouldve just tucked the ball and ran, but would instead stay and throw from the pocket , only to have his receiver drop it. So i guess what im trying to say is, i dont really care if a quarterback plays "streetball" as long as he gets the "W" and Troy smith did that for us. He actually had as many wins as our non "streetball Qb".

And as far as incorrect throwing mechanics, there are plenty that have succeeded with that "streetball" trait. I think Kaep would fall in the "streetball" category and i hope he has as much success as Vick, McNabb, Vince Young.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
why do most OT's have to be 6'5''-6'7''?

I know right? Makes it hard for the shorty quarterbacks to see.

Was I the only one that thought Troy Smith last year struggled to see over (actually around linemen) the line and was looking in between players too often?

Troy Smith has Donovan McNabb/Vince Young - itis. Meaning they are cocky pieces of hot trash. If it sounds like I'm picking on black QB's, I am. Too many of them want to go out there and play streetball and that s**t just doesn't work. I worry a little bit about Kap because of this. Here's hoping Big Jim can level his head out.

What exactly do you mean by "streetball"? The ability to scramble when a play breaks down?Does having swagger, or in your words being "cocky", constitute as "streetball"?

no... I think "streetball" means playing football in a non traditional style ie scrambling QB's, incorrect throwing mechanics, etc

I think that style of play(scrambling) ads another dimension, which is a plus imo, that's what helped Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, John Elway, and many others get SB's. In addition, McNabb turned into a pure pocket passer to get rid of the "black qb stigma" and did fairly good, but got rid of that added dimension. Ive seen games where he could have gotten the first, if he wouldve just tucked the ball and ran, but would instead stay and throw from the pocket , only to have his receiver drop it. So i guess what im trying to say is, i dont really care if a quarterback plays "streetball" as long as he gets the "W" and Troy smith did that for us. He actually had as many wins as our non "streetball Qb".

And as far as incorrect throwing mechanics, there are plenty that have succeeded with that "streetball" trait. I think Kaep would fall in the "streetball" category and i hope he has as much success as Vick, McNabb, Vince Young.

I don't think there is any streetball in throwing mechanics. Ball protection prior to the throw but throwing it throwing, there's no proper way unless you want to include footwork during a throw which rules out almost any NFL QB because they all develop good footwork.
Why don't more teams send all 11 guys on a blitz more often?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Could someone please explain the difference between "The Wildcat" and "The Taser?"

The Wildcat is somewhat effective because teams actually practice the plays out of this formation, whereas The Taser is mostly ineffective because Jimmy Raye doesn't bother to have his team practice the plays out of the formation.
How come you don't see many quarterback sneaks in short yardage situations?
Other than just referring to broken down plays in my mind when a player is "street ballin" he doesn't run the play as it a drawn up. He doesn't read defenses and progressions in a traditional way but rather improvises using athletic ability to make the play work a la Nate Davis.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Could someone please explain the difference between "The Wildcat" and "The Taser?"

The Wildcat is somewhat effective because teams actually practice the plays out of this formation, whereas The Taser is mostly ineffective because Jimmy Raye doesn't bother to have his team practice the plays out of the formation.

Lol! The Taser.

Did we even run plays out of that formation at all?
Or was it just the name of the formation with Josh Morgan motioned behind the tight end, facing the sidelines, basically telling the defense that it is a run play. Lol. smh

Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Lol! The Taser.

Did we even run plays out of that formation at all?
Or was it just the name of the formation with Josh Morgan motioned behind the tight end, facing the sidelines, basically telling the defense that it is a run play. Lol. smh

I think we ran the taser lke 2-3 times, I think one time resulted in like an epic fail turn over. It was horribad.
When you're inside the other team's 10 yard line, and you're passing, wouldn't it just make more sense to simply throw the ball away quickly out of the back of the end zone if no one is open? I don't understand why so many QBs take sacks in the red zone.

Neutral zone infraction is when the defensive player jumping offsides causes the offensive player to move.

I thought that was encroachment. I think neutral zone infraction is when a defensive player actually touches an offensive player and offsides is when the play is allowed but a defensive player was lined passed the LOS.
When you're inside the other team's 10 yard line, and you're passing, wouldn't it just make more sense to simply throw the ball away quickly out of the back of the end zone if no one is open? I don't understand why so many QBs take sacks in the red zone.

It happens when they try to play street ball. Lol.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I thought that was encroachment. I think neutral zone infraction is when a defensive player actually touches an offensive player and offsides is when the play is allowed but a defensive player was lined passed the LOS.

Touching people is encroachment
Share 49ersWebzone