There are 162 users in the forums

*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

• SmithGore
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:
Originally posted by ezekiel39:
So does anyone know how fast the DB's are expected to run tomorrow? I know Tracy Porter is extremely fast, but not sure about the rest (Jenkins, McKelvin, Talib, CROMARTIE, flowers)

Hey Ghost, would you be mad if we selected the bolded guy above in the 1st if he's there? I know we have lots of needs, but would you actually be p**sed if we picked him? Would he be the best value you think? Nolan got to coach him at the senior bowl and see him real close up, and we know he likes to draft players that he coaches. I guess he will know if he is the real deal or not. The next Chris McAllister maybe?

How could anyone be p**sed at drafting a potential starting CB opposite Clements? If DRC dropped to #29, we'd be crazy not to draft him. IMO, you don't just draft for today, you draft with tomorrow in mind as well, and getting a guy like DRC solidifies your CB situation both today and for years to come. You'd still have 6 more picks to address your other needs, and that should be plenty.

That being said, DRC will not likely drop to #29, so it's kind of a moot point.

That is soo stupid. I obviously agree you draft for the future, and eventually we will need to fill walt harris' spot and add depth. But for a team as bad as we are, we need someone from the first round who can step in and make a difference. Like Groves, I want him pick #29 more than anything. He would be amazing.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Did both Lofton and connor decide not to go to the combine?

They are there

Conner just did weigh in and interviews I think. Lofton ran a 4.77
Originally posted by SmithGore:
Originally posted by ezekiel39:
So does anyone know how fast the DB's are expected to run tomorrow? I know Tracy Porter is extremely fast, but not sure about the rest (Jenkins, McKelvin, Talib, CROMARTIE, flowers)

Hey Ghost, would you be mad if we selected the bolded guy above in the 1st if he's there? I know we have lots of needs, but would you actually be p**sed if we picked him? Would he be the best value you think? Nolan got to coach him at the senior bowl and see him real close up, and we know he likes to draft players that he coaches. I guess he will know if he is the real deal or not. The next Chris McAllister maybe?

How could anyone be p**sed at drafting a potential starting CB opposite Clements? If DRC dropped to #29, we'd be crazy not to draft him. IMO, you don't just draft for today, you draft with tomorrow in mind as well, and getting a guy like DRC solidifies your CB situation both today and for years to come. You'd still have 6 more picks to address your other needs, and that should be plenty.

That being said, DRC will not likely drop to #29, so it's kind of a moot point.

That is soo stupid. I obviously agree you draft for the future, and eventually we will need to fill walt harris' spot and add depth. But for a team as bad as we are, we need someone from the first round who can step in and make a difference. Like Groves, I want him pick #29 more than anything. He would be amazing.

I see, so if someone has an opposing opinion to yours, they're stupid.

That's sound logic...

(I'm weighing the pros and cons of bringing out the big guns and shredding this fool, but something tells me it would be a waste of brain cells).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean on Feb 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM ]
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
i had to say this but...my boy J LEMAN had 26 reps in the bench press! still havent left his bandwagon haha.

I'd be more than happy to see him wearing a 49er uni next year!

he's just always seemed like an old school type of player that gives it all he's got on every down. the jacob hester of the defense. did he run the 40? i didnt see anything about him running.

He lifted but didn't run or do any of the position drills due to his ankle injury.

I don't think he'll be ready to go in time for his campus workout, or even the draft. I believe there is decent chance he may go undrafted at this point, as good as a player he has been, especially with some of the LB performances today from unsung players.
Originally posted by Jerry:
It will be interesting to see how many DB's make first round grades, the first round is starting to get crowded. 1 safety and at least 4 CB's should make it.

IMO, one guy who could fall is Mike Jenkins. If he can't show long speed (4.45ish or below), he could very well fall out of the 1st round...yes, he's a physical CB, but the Giants showed how a physical CB can be beat. Speed is all that matters for a CB outside of a cover-2 scheme, and if Jenkins can't show great speed, he'll fall.

In the end, the top 5 CBs should be McKelvin, Flowers, DRC, Porter and Jenkins.

I would agree. Jenkins was measured almost two inches shorter than his college height, and has some character issues that are beginning to come to the surface. If he does not run a fast forty today, he could slip to the bottom of the first, or completely out.

I believe that the forty tomorrow will impact the ranking of players at CB more than any other position in the draft. The CB field is open for the taking. Who will step up tomorrow?
cant wait to see cromartie's times
The Niners still need a lot of help, in a lot of different areas of the field. Although it is not a major priority for 2008, I have no problem selecting a top level CB with the first or second rounder, as long as they are clearly better than a player at another position.

Walt Harris really dropped off last season, and Spencer has never returned to his old form. The Niners will need a starting CB in 2009, and maybe even this season.

In other words, don't be surprised, Niners fans.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Jerry:
It will be interesting to see how many DB's make first round grades, the first round is starting to get crowded. 1 safety and at least 4 CB's should make it.

IMO, one guy who could fall is Mike Jenkins. If he can't show long speed (4.45ish or below), he could very well fall out of the 1st round...yes, he's a physical CB, but the Giants showed how a physical CB can be beat. Speed is all that matters for a CB outside of a cover-2 scheme, and if Jenkins can't show great speed, he'll fall.

In the end, the top 5 CBs should be McKelvin, Flowers, DRC, Porter and Jenkins.

I would agree. Jenkins was measured almost two inches shorter than his college height, and has some character issues that are beginning to come to the surface. If he does not run a fast forty today, he could slip to the bottom of the first, or completely out.

I believe that the forty tomorrow will impact the ranking of players at CB more than any other position in the draft. The CB field is open for the taking. Who will step up tomorrow?

DRC and Leodis Mcklevin are my sure fire bets
The Niners still need a lot of help, in a lot of different areas of the field. Although it is not a major priority for 2008, I have no problem selecting a top level CB with the first or second rounder, as long as they are clearly better than a player at another position.

Walt Harris really dropped off last season, and Spencer has never returned to his old form. The Niners will need a starting CB in 2009, and maybe even this season.

Im not so sure. T. Brown has shown alot of promise. I would think Nolan would give him an opportunity to shine before we spend a high pick on a DB. Nolan understands that we need a passrush before we need another CB. Better the pass rush the better or CB play is. I think we had the most coverage sack's in the league last year so our CB position is fine for now. I strongly dont see that happening. You never know though.
Also, drafting a CB in the #1 would give us some flexibilty in the secondary. I think Walt Harris would make an outstanding FS. He has great instincts and has a knack for making plays. Plus, it would help to hide his speed a bit. I've nearly given up on Spencer and Tarrel Brown's knee set him back. We could use some more talent in the secondary.

Originally posted by strickac:
Also, drafting a CB in the #1 would give us some flexibilty in the secondary. I think Walt Harris would make an outstanding FS. He has great instincts and has a knack for making plays. Plus, it would help to hide his speed a bit. I've nearly given up on Spencer and Tarrel Brown's knee set him back. We could use some more talent in the secondary.

How is that. It was at the end of the year and he will be ready for our offseason program?

I could see us taking a FS high but not a CB. To many other needs. Like a passrush. Unless we sign Smith.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

Im not so sure. T. Brown has shown alot of promise. I would think Nolan would give him an opportunity to shine before we spend a high pick on a DB. Nolan understands that we need a passrush before we need another CB. Better the pass rush the better or CB play is. I think we had the most coverage sack's in the league last year so our CB position is fine for now. I strongly dont see that happening. You never know though.

Only problem is Brown is coming off a injury and depending on rehab may not be 100% until mid season. Spencer is not starter worth and AB just posted his $$$ for the next few years and he's going to cost a fortune. Harris is old and is nearing the end. Even if he bumps back to FS his time is limited. Grabbing DRC would be smart and safe. He can sit and learn and when the time is right step in and make a difference. Brown is good and makes a great #2 backup. Not to mention a great ST guy. Think of the possible outcome Clements, DRC, and Goldson as starters and Brown being right in the mix. We have great depth and all can play and be counted on.

How is that. It was at the end of the year and he will be ready for our offseason program?

I could see us taking a FS high but not a CB. To many other needs. Like a passrush. Unless we sign Smith.

The fact that it was at the end of the season hurt bc he has less timme to recover....and if you read he did address the need at FS by moving Walt Harris there(which I agree with and have said 100 times) then picking up a CB in the first gives you 2 talented CB and a very talented FS and SS( Walt Harris and Micheal Lewis)...that is a tough back group of DB's

You wouldn't call a torn MCL and a partially torn ACL a setback? Players train year around..

I wouldn't be against taking a FS high, but this a weak class. Cromartie or Reggie Smith would make great FSs and could also double as a coverman.

Look, all I'm getting at is that we're not that deep in the secondary and if someone falls, it could be a great move for the future.
  • Butter1103
  • Info N/A
I just watched Curtis Gatewood in some of the LB agility drills, he looked way more fluid than most of the other guys in his group. Anybody have any insight about him?
Share 49ersWebzone