There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is unusual with the Reid selection.................

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Matter of opinion, but I would take 4 Safeties in Michael Griffin, Jarius Byrd, Ed Reed and Stevie Brown over Goldson. Those 4 made just as much if not more plays than Goldson did last year.

All these guys really are close to each other. Its an ever evolving position, so it comes down to style. In our system I earnestly believe Dashon stylistically is the best one. He combines all of the attributes of a safety and a corner, and perhaps is a happy medium, of all those guys you mentioned. In his prime I'd take Ed Reed any day obviously both speed and smarts, but talent is a relative term anyway.. Lol
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Goldson is going to have Revis playing one side of the field for him.

I honestly don't see how that defense as a whole doesn't go out like the 85 Bears.. On paper they're way too good to be true. And that Shiano character looks like a genetically infused reincarnation between Vince Lombardi and Hank Stram. He's sure to be a good coach right?
Harbaugh has always wanted Reid since he came out of high school, and he finally got him.
Wild Bill, I am in agreement with you re: goldson. Sure he was a good tackler. And yes, after he made a good tackle, he would talk trash and turn a successful 3rd down pass defense with a 15 yd 1st down penalty. Pure stupidity. But he wasn't a good learner because for a while there he was doing the trash talk on virtually every play. And the officials could have called a lot more penalties on him. But back to Dashon's tackling. Yes, he covered well, and he made the tackle. But tackling a guy for a 7 yd completion on 3rd and 5, doesn't cut it. And Goldson had more "defended" tackles than anyone...except most of the time, instead of knocking the ball down, he tackled the WR for a first down. Shut down corner is one thing. Goldson was something else. He was locking the barn AFTER the horses got out. Granted he made lots of tackle on pass plays...but what we needed was a knocked down pass or a WR catching the ball and then getting his teeth rattled. Goldson did neither of those things. He just made tackles on pass plays, giving the WR a first down.

Now if that is the kind of FS somebody wants, fine. Personally I prefer the FS that knocks the ball down or hits so hard the WR fumbles. Dashon WAS a good tackler. He was LOUSY at keeping a WR from making the catch for first down. At $6 mil, uumm ok, but way overpaid. His new florida team now overpays him well over what we were overpaying him. Good luck to them. Dashon will make good tackles on WRs, but will rarely knock the ball down or separate the ball from the player. He literally is a 3rd down tackling machine, whose tackles virtually always result in first downs. And then he trash talks...go figure...and good riddance. I have no ide if reid is going to knock those balls down or not. But i do know dashon managed tackles but did not prevent first downs. Whether he was paid $6 mil, 4 mil or 2 mil, it was too much. A FS is supposed to prevent passes from being caught. Dashon got an F on that . I trust Reid is the antithesis of dashon.
Reid>Vaccarro
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wild Bill, I am in agreement with you re: goldson. Sure he was a good tackler. And yes, after he made a good tackle, he would talk trash and turn a successful 3rd down pass defense with a 15 yd 1st down penalty. Pure stupidity. But he wasn't a good learner because for a while there he was doing the trash talk on virtually every play. And the officials could have called a lot more penalties on him. But back to Dashon's tackling. Yes, he covered well, and he made the tackle. But tackling a guy for a 7 yd completion on 3rd and 5, doesn't cut it. And Goldson had more "defended" tackles than anyone...except most of the time, instead of knocking the ball down, he tackled the WR for a first down. Shut down corner is one thing. Goldson was something else. He was locking the barn AFTER the horses got out. Granted he made lots of tackle on pass plays...but what we needed was a knocked down pass or a WR catching the ball and then getting his teeth rattled. Goldson did neither of those things. He just made tackles on pass plays, giving the WR a first down.

Now if that is the kind of FS somebody wants, fine. Personally I prefer the FS that knocks the ball down or hits so hard the WR fumbles. Dashon WAS a good tackler. He was LOUSY at keeping a WR from making the catch for first down. At $6 mil, uumm ok, but way overpaid. His new florida team now overpays him well over what we were overpaying him. Good luck to them. Dashon will make good tackles on WRs, but will rarely knock the ball down or separate the ball from the player. He literally is a 3rd down tackling machine, whose tackles virtually always result in first downs. And then he trash talks...go figure...and good riddance. I have no ide if reid is going to knock those balls down or not. But i do know dashon managed tackles but did not prevent first downs. Whether he was paid $6 mil, 4 mil or 2 mil, it was too much. A FS is supposed to prevent passes from being caught. Dashon got an F on that . I trust Reid is the antithesis of dashon.

Actually Dashon does rattle a receiver, but misses sometimes and doesn't wrap up. The niners don't give up the big plays cause that is their mantra. The other reason Dashon is limited I felt was that if you watched where they got burned as a whole, Whitner can be seen Dahson he made the wrong choice/read and should have seen this or that. So it made the Cb or even Donte look bad. Hopefully, Reid is supposed to be smarter but lacks nfl experience, but because of his youth will listen more.
We'll certainly find out this season how good Dashon really is. IMO, I think we did the right thing and got a better player in the long run.

He'll be up against Brees, Ryan 2 times each. I don't know the rest of their schedule but we'll all be watching for sure.