There are 94 users in the forums

What is unusual with the Reid selection.................

Originally posted by glorydayz:
I would take Cyprien at 34, we would be set at FS & SS for years!

By the way, I love the Reid pick. Only cost us a 3rd to move all the way down to 18, and the fact that we got a leg up on the Cownboys only makes it sweeter!

Well, the two compete for FS in camp, loser takes over at SS in 2014.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I tweeted a dozen "draft experts" (CBSsports/ESPN/rotoword/ourlads etc) on whether the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart (Kolohe's Pinned chart) was still used.
Got 3 responses
  • one said it was outdated
  • one said it was outdated and obsolete
  • some still use it but most teams don't use

But what is used now? Didn't get any sense of what is replacing it.

this is false. Empirically, teams all stick to the draft value chart . The only time there is deviation is when there are no quarterbacks at the top of the draft. See: raiders trade.

note: the RGIII trade was within 2% of what the draft value chart predicted
Originally posted by 9moon:
The fact that it may take him 3 years to be where Goldson is at right now.. Then what? do we resign him to an extension?

Is that really saving more money instead of just giving it to Goldson now, and use this draft to pick up the DL that we really need??

Three years? The NFL is not as patient as it use to be and he will likely start this year or next, depending on the niners signing a Woodson type vet for tutoring. Baalke seems to sign guys who are reasonable and then let the high flyers go...replacing them with good draft picks. There are so many examples of players leaving via trade or free agency and being replaced by better or as good replacements, while still keeping the important leaders--Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Frank Gore.

Alex Smith --> Colin Kaepernick
Morgan --> Manningham
Baas --> Goodwin
Spikes --> Bowman

Some of these losses bothered me as I really liked Spikes and Morgan, but in hindsight realize they were over priced. If Reid is not ready to play this year I have little doubt the coaches know that and have a plan, whether it's Woodson or another vet FA.
The fact that it may take him 3 years to be where Goldson is at right now.. Then what? do we resign him to an extension?

Is that really saving more money instead of just giving it to Goldson now, and use this draft to pick up the DL that we really need??

goldson is getting up there in age and hes vastly over valuing himself. he doesnt get enough picks and makes too many mistakes that cost us. id rather take the younger FS with all the physical tools and have our coaches make him better than goldson.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
My brother, a Horn fan, said that Vaccarro was no where near the top FS. His rating of him was C, maybe C+. Also the Dallas sportswriters and sportspages are up in arms that their Owner traded #18 for our #31(plus a 3rd), and then proceeded to pick a mid 3rd rd Center from Wisconsin. It seemed that Jerry Jones was hell bent on helping the 9ers in this draft. The Cowboy fans are fit to be tied, or maybe a better word is ANGRY. Go Cowboys. Go big Jer. See if you can help us again today. As for using the draft pick valu chart, no, Big Jer doesn't do that. He has his own system.

Frederick was a mid 2nd to early 3rd round pick...like AJ Jenkins
Since the Niners picked Reid does that mean that they though Reid was a better safety than Vacarro? Did they wait to see when Vacarro cleared and then made their pick of Reid? It would appear that they though Reid was their best pick in round one. Would these be accurate thoughts?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I tweeted a dozen "draft experts" (CBSsports/ESPN/rotoword/ourlads etc) on whether the Jimmy Johnson Value Chart (Kolohe's Pinned chart) was still used.
Got 3 responses
  • one said it was outdated
  • one said it was outdated and obsolete
  • some still use it but most teams don't use

But what is used now? Didn't get any sense of what is replacing it.

this is false. Empirically, teams all stick to the draft value chart . The only time there is deviation is when there are no quarterbacks at the top of the draft. See: raiders trade.

note: the RGIII trade was within 2% of what the draft value chart predicted

Yeah ....I made this up. ... Let me defer to you ole expert.
Gore 21, your friend in Dallas was just telling the truth, altho it was way worse than reported. Usually the draft is a huge sports holiday in Dallas, but with big Jer putting on an Al Davis imitation, they have had enough, and now Dallas nation isn't even half interested. Sportswriters, sports pages, talk shows, all have big jer in the toilet. His "well , I have won 3 SBs, so I ought to know what I am doing " has finally worn thin, and the cowboys are not just distressed, they are a mess. When my brother in Dallas didn't even watch or listen to the draft, you know things are wrong. I had thot all along this was just big jer's stupid hands on way...no I wonder if like big Al, if he doesn't have early to mid stage dementia. Unfortunately for them, he is the final word on everything, and his last 5 drafts have been outright disasters.
It would be interesting , no, if part of his problem wasn't just ego, but dementia? Dallas fans are pi**ed.

On Reid, vaccaro wasn't the best talent according to those HORN fans who saw a lot of him. If Reid IS, holy smoke. If not , well there's always next yr and or eleventy-seven FS/CBs currently on the team, with probably woodson headed here also. I guess we will know come TC. Moving up must have meant trent was afraid of losing his guy. Hard to know because none of us know what any other team wanted, and when.
Like I said b4, all the signs were there from the past, we needed a saftey (we always drafted what we need along with bpa-if no real need then BPA like LMJ), draft had a good class of safties, but we want a safety that is big to cover the big wr and te, good measurables, good production, big time program. As time goes by, people begin to know what kind of players the niners are looking for, for their system.
Gore 21, your friend in Dallas was just telling the truth, altho it was way worse than reported. Usually the draft is a huge sports holiday in Dallas, but with big Jer putting on an Al Davis imitation, they have had enough, and now Dallas nation isn't even half interested. Sportswriters, sports pages, talk shows, all have big jer in the toilet. His "well , I have won 3 SBs, so I ought to know what I am doing " has finally worn thin, and the cowboys are not just distressed, they are a mess. When my brother in Dallas didn't even watch or listen to the draft, you know things are wrong. I had thot all along this was just big jer's stupid hands on way...no I wonder if like big Al, if he doesn't have early to mid stage dementia. Unfortunately for them, he is the final word on everything, and his last 5 drafts have been outright disasters.
It would be interesting , no, if part of his problem wasn't just ego, but dementia? Dallas fans are pi**ed.

On Reid, vaccaro wasn't the best talent according to those HORN fans who saw a lot of him. If Reid IS, holy smoke. If not , well there's always next yr and or eleventy-seven FS/CBs currently on the team, with probably woodson headed here also. I guess we will know come TC. Moving up must have meant trent was afraid of losing his guy. Hard to know because none of us know what any other team wanted, and when.

Jerry Jones knows nothing, he had no hand in those three SB, it was always jimmy Johnson and after J left he was right, no talent came in or not enough, sure they got ware and a couple of others, but it is getting those players in the third and forth round also, now Jerry can't even get a plan down for the first. His HC sure isn't happy according to the rumors. Good, it makes fodder and helps teams like the niners.

As for Reid, you see a player you want you get him, even if there others that maybe close, it depends, even Pollian talked about it, getting a player that not only has talent but one that fits what you are doing as far as system.style of play. Whitner was a pick up to fill in the gaps, come next year (2014) he will be replaced by someone bigger and faster. Either by Dahl, Culliver or someone in the draft, maybe even free agency.

Remeber, how many times have we seen in the nfl, a player is a superstar or very good but goes elsewhere and is a bust, they don't fit what the team is trying to do, they are merely flash names that make fans go oooohhhhhhh and give hope but end up fizzling.

Reid is more talented than Dashon, although Goldson has more experience. However, I don't think in his first year he will be that far off when he starts. Plus he is way ahead of Dahl. As for signing him, the niners were willing to give him 6 a season, but he wanted 8+, not worth it if you are trying to make a good team. He is not one you build your team around. Now, a Ronnie Lott in his prime would be something else.
Now that is is expected for Baalke to do the unexpected, he defied expectations this year by doing exactly what everyone would have expected him to do. Who could have expected that? I certainly didn't expect him to do what I expected him to do, so I instead expected him to do something different than what I what I would have expected him to do, thereby allowing his expected actions to catch me off guard, as I did not expect them.
Wrath, maybe trent is waiting to see how AJ fares this yr....if he goes great guns, then trent will be back to his Player X as our #1 pick. Honestly, I think either AJ fooled him or he was a redshirt WR all the way. We will all certainly know by TC. And the WR we picked up? Wow, that ought to get AJ going.
Wrath, maybe trent is waiting to see how AJ fares this yr....if he goes great guns, then trent will be back to his Player X as our #1 pick. Honestly, I think either AJ fooled him or he was a redshirt WR all the way. We will all certainly know by TC. And the WR we picked up? Wow, that ought to get AJ going.

I think Baalke acknowledged in the 2012 post-draft interview that AJ needed to bulk. He mentioned a series of nagging injuries that kept him from getting the desired results in the weight room, and that they believed that the issue would get fixed in Santa Clara. We will see if AJ looks bigger/stronger when the Matts have a chance to see him at OTAs and minicamps
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Now that is is expected for Baalke to do the unexpected, he defied expectations this year by doing exactly what everyone would have expected him to do. Who could have expected that? I certainly didn't expect him to do what I expected him to do, so I instead expected him to do something different than what I what I would have expected him to do, thereby allowing his expected actions to catch me off guard, as I did not expect them.
lol.

Funny post. Unexpected, too.
Share 49ersWebzone