LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Jesse Williams or Margus Hunt

Jesse Williams easi
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
For the life of me I still can't understand the Margus Hunt hype. A 26 year old with little football experience who is considered "raw"? Why is this a 1st/2nd round prospect?? Lawrence Okoye is another foreigner with no football background and eye-popping measurables, and he probably won't be drafted. He's 21 years old! Why the discrepancy?

I wouldn't touch Hunt with a 10 foot pole. Sounds like someone who should be a 4th or 5th round prospect to me.

I'm with you there. It seems people hype his ability to block kicks. Which is great for him but his age and raw talent merit a 4th round pick in my opinion. Williams could be plugged in from day one and would benefit a ton from sitting behind Cowboy. I also love Williams' versatility in the Niners d. He could play the nose or end.
Hunt.......... Williams does not impress me at all. seems average.
Neither impress me that much but I would rather get Hunt since he is more of a physical freak.
When drafting/trading-for/signing/re-signing a player, I'm of the mindset that the focus should not be on "is this a good/great player?" I think the focus instead should be on: "is this player better than his competition?"

I know this sounds like a super simple, banal point. But I think it's key.

This leads to my stance on these two players. Without the full set of coach's tape, I see Jesse Williams as a strong, run-stuffing, high-motor player lacking consistent leverage and skilled pass-rush. Margus Hunt is someone I see as having near freakish, versatile physical abilities (length, strength, speed, and agility), good motor, natural difficulty gaining leverage, with kick-and-pass blocking natural ability, and clear pass-rushing ability.

With this in mind, I think Jesse Williams serves a need - as a run-stuffer. Margus Hunt however provides the rarer, more valuable skill of pass rushing and blocking. That, and I think he will stand above more of his competition than will Jesse Williams. For these reasons, I choose Margus Hunt, and at the right value spot, I will be happy to have him as a 49er.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Aldon Smith was also considered raw. If I'm not mistaken, he only ever played one full season at Missouri before entering the draft.

I agree with you do, I like Williams over Hunt and I don't understand the hype. However, if Baalke selects him, I trust him. Baalke's success rate so far is much better than his failure rate.
He was considered raw only because he was making a position change, from DL to rush/OLB. His tape and measurables were great. He made plays, he played two seasons, although his second season was marred by injuries and missed games, he still produced despite being asked to play out of position at times like DT.

49ers did it before and Hunt although raw, maybe more mentally mature to handle the first season. Plus, some people who are athletes and play other sports can be very good if the second sport is one that helps at what they do. Michael Carter was a shot put olympian, Hunt does the shot and discuss which is good for a DL. Just basketball can be good for TE (Gonz and Gates), or rugby for RB and LB/DL.

Hunts biggest asset is that he is tall and can jump. He has a lot of blocks on ST, so even if he doesn't get to the passer, if he can push the lineman a step or two back on an inside rush or outside and jumpt up he has a good chance of batting down the ball, changing the trajectory of a pass so that it is either overthrown or intercepted. However, his size is also his undoing as he cannot get low and underneath for leverage, so he could get stood up and pushed back. His rawness also means his instincts are not developed. He does however has a good motor as they say.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Jesse
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Jesse Williams easi
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
For the life of me I still can't understand the Margus Hunt hype. A 26 year old with little football experience who is considered "raw"? Why is this a 1st/2nd round prospect?? Lawrence Okoye is another foreigner with no football background and eye-popping measurables, and he probably won't be drafted. He's 21 years old! Why the discrepancy?

I wouldn't touch Hunt with a 10 foot pole. Sounds like someone who should be a 4th or 5th round prospect to me.

I'm with you there. It seems people hype his ability to block kicks. Which is great for him but his age and raw talent merit a 4th round pick in my opinion. Williams could be plugged in from day one and would benefit a ton from sitting behind Cowboy. I also love Williams' versatility in the Niners d. He could play the nose or end.

The texan's JJ Watt bats down a lot of passes if he can't get to the qb. That is something that you don't see enough of from some DL. So if you can block a kick, blocking a pass or changing the trajectory of it is just as important and not out of the realm if you can't get to the QB. Maybe even cause him to pull the pass down especially if the QB is short like Wilson, which can give Aldon or others enough time to sack him/them. Just like the NT or Justin Smith there are some stats that you just can't measure unless you watch with a discerning eye. Plus with his big frame, he could easily pack on the weight and still be skinny. Here is the other thing about his age, his body is not worn out like other kids, since having played the game only in college. Late second round pick is not a bad spot, third round is perfect spot. As long as he is productive for 6-8 years. Besides, like Dashon, unless the guy is like JJ or Aldon, you might not be able to keep him in this salary cap age. We kept Dashon for 6 years only because he was a late bloomer.
I like Jesse Williams better because he can play DE and NT.
I can see why people are high on Hunt though. He had a great season. He also had more sacks than some of the guys who are considered the best passrushers in the draft. He had more than Jordan, Ansah, Jones, and Mingo. His age is a small concern but could still play for a decade. He could be like a Calais Campbell or like an Adam Carriker.
we'll take Okoye in the 7th and he will be a monster, but it will take 3 years.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by austrich:
When drafting/trading-for/signing/re-signing a player, I'm of the mindset that the focus should not be on "is this a good/great player?" I think the focus instead should be on: "is this player better than his competition?"

I know this sounds like a super simple, banal point. But I think it's key.

This leads to my stance on these two players. Without the full set of coach's tape, I see Jesse Williams as a strong, run-stuffing, high-motor player lacking consistent leverage and skilled pass-rush. Margus Hunt is someone I see as having near freakish, versatile physical abilities (length, strength, speed, and agility), good motor, natural difficulty gaining leverage, with kick-and-pass blocking natural ability, and clear pass-rushing ability.

With this in mind, I think Jesse Williams serves a need - as a run-stuffer. Margus Hunt however provides the rarer, more valuable skill of pass rushing and blocking. That, and I think he will stand above more of his competition than will Jesse Williams. For these reasons, I choose Margus Hunt, and at the right value spot, I will be happy to have him as a 49er.

couldnt have said it better .
i d have them both .. Williams replaces Sapoaga , we have dorsey that replaced Ricky , and Hunt rotates with Justin or Ray. But since we need FS i doubt we draft 2 DL early ( and we we need to )

Quite frankly, I just don't see it with Jesse Williams, although I know a lot of people on this board like him. He's clearly a good athlete for his size and stout against the run, but his athleticism does not show up on fill in terms of production. He has little ability to rush the passer and he doesn't make many plays down the line. He looks more like a third round talent to me on tape. He fails to flash the kind of athleticism that would warrant a 1st or 2nd round pick.

On the other hand, Margus Hunt, though inconsistent and though he plays too high at times flashes the ability to explode off the line, run the arc and wreak havoc in the backfield. His potential is readily apparent when you watch him. He also has the ability to be a dominant run stopper when he plays with leverage. He's my surprise pick at 31 and I'm sticking by it.
My man out of Bama
Cornelious Washington. /thread
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Cornelious Washington. /thread

He's a linebacker, doubt he could play on the DL.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
The taller of the two, Hunt, to swat balls back in little Russell's face.
Share 49ersWebzone