LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 168 users in the forums

Jesse Williams or Margus Hunt

Dantone Jones and Tank both better than Hunt or Williams
Hunt
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Is it just me or is Jesse Williams slow off the snap?
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
At 34 I would go for Margus Hunt. Yes, he's raw, but he'll make a solid rotational player and grow, learn from the Smith brothers and be able to step in after a year of training, growth. The fact he is a FG blocking machine could pay dividends right off the bat.

I'm sorry, but you can't be that raw and be a solid rotational player. A solid rotational player is a guy that can come in and play up a decent number of snaps a game without there being too much of a drop off while your starter gets a breather. I don't think that description fits Margus Hunt at this point. He is a guy that has great measurables, dominates at times, but is lost at others. Someone brought used Michael Carter as an example of someone with a limited football background given that he was a shot put guy. If I remember right, Carter was drafted in the 5th round. I don't see how we can justify such a project at 34. The only reason I'm not as against it as I was a month ago is that we signed Glenn Dorsey and apparently Ian Williams will be a part of the rotation next year. Throw in that we have Tomsula as your D-line coach probably minimizes a little of the bust factor, but I'm still not completely sold on Hunt.
I do not want either one at pick 31 or 34. Hunt is old and raw. Williams is just a run stuffer and won't help our pass rush. If I had to pick between them, it would probably be Jesse Williams. But only if ALL of the following guys are unavailable:

Tank Carradine
Datone Jones
Alex Okafor
Sly Williams
Kawann Short
Brandon Williams

I'd be happy with two of those guys too. I think Okafor and Brandon Williams would be a nice combo.... could probably get them at 34 and 61 respectively (if we go FS, CB, WR, or TE at 31).
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Datrone Jones,John Jenkins.......
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Jesse Williams on the other hand seems like a beast. I feel like he would be a star on our team.

For the life of me I still can't understand the Margus Hunt hype. A 26 year old with little football experience who is considered "raw"? Why is this a 1st/2nd round prospect?? Lawrence Okoye is another foreigner with no football background and eye-popping measurables, and he probably won't be drafted. He's 21 years old! Why the discrepancy?

I wouldn't touch Hunt with a 10 foot pole. Sounds like someone who should be a 4th or 5th round prospect to me.

Margus Hunt 2012:
8 sacks, 32 tackles (career 17 kick blocks)

Jesse Williams 2012:
1 sack, 37 tackles (one kick block)

Seeing how Hunt's stats are actually better, it's not that Hunt is 'Raw', it's that some think he has tremendous UPSIDE. The thinking is he has JJ Watt-type upside

Jesse Williams has more of a rich-mans Issac Sopoaga-type upside
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Jesse Williams on the other hand seems like a beast. I feel like he would be a star on our team.

For the life of me I still can't understand the Margus Hunt hype. A 26 year old with little football experience who is considered "raw"? Why is this a 1st/2nd round prospect?? Lawrence Okoye is another foreigner with no football background and eye-popping measurables, and he probably won't be drafted. He's 21 years old! Why the discrepancy?

I wouldn't touch Hunt with a 10 foot pole. Sounds like someone who should be a 4th or 5th round prospect to me.

Margus Hunt 2012:

Jesse Williams 2012:

Seeing how Hunt's stats are actually better, it's not that Hunt is 'Raw', it's that some think he has tremendous UPSIDE. The thinking is he has JJ Watt-type upside

Jesse Williams has more of a rich-mans Issac Sopoaga-type upside.

Hunt's stats were very minimal his first two years. He only posted decent stats his last year. If you compare the first two seasons are almost identical.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Margus Hunt 2012:

Jesse Williams 2012:

Jesse Williams has more of a rich-mans Issac Sopoaga-type upside.

Hunt's stats were very minimal his first two years. He only posted decent stats his last year. If you compare the first two seasons are almost identical.

His stats were better in 2012 means that he is improving = "arrow up".
Flashes all-pro pass-rush potential. I want a new JJ Watt (or Justin Smith)! But his tackle numbers do seem low however, so I don't know if he's the guy; haven't watched enough tape.
I'd be stoked if we got both these guys...JW can play NT or DE and is a true beast. His best football's still ahead of him. Hunt's more of a potential risk, but the reward could be significant. Both guys would be off the charts and give us the deepest, biggest and most talented DL in over 10 years. Just think about that. If it had to be one or the other, then I'd take JW. He's got size and versatility over Hunt, IMHO.

JW at 34!
Question is how do we get both jesse , hunt, AND ertz? I don't think trent can pull that one off, but if he burned every draft pick on those 3 that would give us four instant starters. Can he do it.? Actually if he just gets two of those guys I will be stoked .
Originally posted by NinerGod:
JW at 34!

• Dapro
  • Veteran
Hunt got drafted yet?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
JW at 34!

The reason im not an NFL scout or GM - but f**k it.

JW at 131!
Share 49ersWebzone