LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Un-Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft

Personally, i would take a TE in the first or second along with the WR, instead of two WR's, if the emphasis is going to be placed on the offense early.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Good reason being that there's so many other great players there and he was told to open blocks up for his teammates, or did you have a different reason?

Workout warrior. You can say the scheme changes affected him, but talent rises up above all other things. He's a guy who's essentially too small to play DE but has lacked the agility and fluid movement to be a 3-4 OLB and step back into coverage. I'm not sure where you play him at the NFL level. His Combine performance moved him up a round or two, but he's still someone where teams really can't be sure as to what they are getting beyond the physical aspect.

That's a fair comment, but he performed pretty well in the senior bowl...
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I already cleared that up. He didnt even play in 2011.

Actually the scouting report said that he was injured all of 2011 and looked timid in coverage compared to pre injury. I didn't know hjs stats were so good thpugh. Like I said the tape I've watched is nothing special. I've seen better run supporters in this draft and his coverage ability doesn't look great. Ive only watched the bowl game and senior bowl so I guess I don't have accurate veiw. Dudes 2012 production is nothing to scoff at.

His entire career he was productive. And last season FS's front 7 was garbage, so he really had no supporting cast around him. He was a finalist for the thorpe award
I would cream myself if this happened. 2 WR's with our top picks is a little crazy, but I like it. Austin the speedy big play threat, and Rogers the big, physical target. I highly doubt this happens tho. Such a move would probably indicate a philosophical shift. Move away from 2 TE formations and start implementing more 3 WR sets. Could happen, but under Harbaugh I expect to always be a power run team. Even in the pistol we trot out 2 TE and a FB. I actually really like our offensive approach. Probably no need to invest so many high draft choices in WR's.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM ]
Originally posted by postal509:
Rogers played at Tennessee and was their 3rd WR. He is no 1st rder! I would take Patterson or Hunter before Rogers. I been a Vols fan for almost as long as a Niner fan(42 yrs), so I watch a lot ot UT football. He has decent speed, but got lost way too much!

You must not watch alot of Tennessee football then. Patterson was at UT 1 year after coming from JUCO. Rogers was kicked off the team before the season and went to Tenn Tech. Hunter and Rogers were the WRs in 2011 and Hunter tore his ACL halfway through the season. So I'm not sure how you equate Rogers as UTs #3 WR when he didn't play for them last year.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
You must not watch alot of Tennessee football then. Patterson was at UT 1 year after coming from JUCO. Rogers was kicked off the team before the season and went to Tenn Tech. Hunter and Rogers were the WRs in 2011 and Hunter tore his ACL halfway through the season. So I'm not sure how you equate Rogers as UTs #3 WR when he didn't play for them last year.

This. Rogers performed extremely well when Hunter was out with the injury. He's not the fastest guy but is extremely physical, hard to press, hard to bring down once the ball is in his hands. He doesn't have the athletic gifts that Patterson does, but doesn't look nearly as raw. He's also got substantially better hands than Hunter who seems to use his body to catch a majority of his passes and isn't much of a threat to gain yards after the catch. Patterson has the most potential, but he'll also be gone well before the 49ers pick.
This. Rogers performed extremely well when Hunter was out with the injury. He's not the fastest guy but is extremely physical, hard to press, hard to bring down once the ball is in his hands. He doesn't have the athletic gifts that Patterson does, but doesn't look nearly as raw. He's also got substantially better hands than Hunter who seems to use his body to catch a majority of his passes and isn't much of a threat to gain yards after the catch. Patterson has the most potential, but he'll also be gone well before the 49ers pick.

Rogers is heck of a WR. He'd be in the conversation as one of the top WRs had he not been a knucklehead and gotten kicked off the team, he'd be going higher. He'd be heck of a pick if he can keep his nose clean and not resort back to making immature decisions.
What if the talent simply isn't there? If you read through the draft, the 49ers add plenty to the secondary and the DL. In either case, any of those players you draft, are going to be backups. You're not drafting DL starters or CB starters. The defense could be exactly the same as last year in terms of starters. So who gives you more impact, a 3rd string CB and DE, or WR's that will regularly play and be out on the field?

Your healthy WR's for next season are Crabtree, Jenkins and the practice squad. Tell me that WR isn't a need, its practically the only position where this team will be looking for starters.
What if the Talent at WR simply isn't there. What if they lose both Isaac Sopoaga and Jean Francois. what if one of the top 3 DE is there to draft at 31. What if Tavon Austin is gone by pick 31? What if they sign a Free agent WR like Danny Amendola. what if the sign Cullen Jenkins. we can both what if this till the end of the day. I think they should draft 2 WR. I do not think they should use there first two picks on WR. Im not sold on Tavon Austin, im not sure how great he will be. They have LaMichael James and I think they are alot alike and I think James will greatly imporve with the off season to work on his game. If one of the DE that are really good are still there at 31 i think they should take him. I have no idea what is going to happen in the draft. 2 weeks ago there was no way Jesse Williams would be there at 31 today Im not sure but now there is no way Datone Jones will be there. Well what if there both still there at 31. What if there both gone? and one last what if, what if Tavon Austin is still there at pick 61?
There is lots to like about Austin as a deep threat and an all around weapon.

I feel the same way about LeMichael James, who is also fast and very illusive in open space. So much so, that I would be tempted to let James learn route running in the off season, and let him have a similar roll to the one you have envisioned for Austin.

Assuming Kendall Hunter comes back, and Gore has one more year in the tank, than getting James, your 2012 second round draft pick onto the field for more than 10 O-plays a game, becomes a priority.

That frees up our first pick.

BTW, nice draft!
Originally posted by buck:
Drafting two wide receivers makes sense.

It is certain that Randy Moss will not be back, and it is almost certain that Ted Ginn Jr. will not be on the squad next year.

That leaves six wide receivers on the team.

1. Michael Crabtree
2. Mario Manningham
3. Kyle Williams
4. A.J. Jenkins
5. Chad Hall
6. Ricardo Lockette

That is neither a very deep nor a very talented group of wide receivers. Overall this may be the weakest unit on the team.

Making matters even worse is the high probability that Mario Manningham will start the season on the PUP. In fact, because of the conjuncture of his recovery time, contract length, and salary, Manningham might be released.

The team needs to add, through free agency and the draft, at least two wide receivers.

I hope Manningham doesn't get released. I mean is 2.35m really worth it? His return is going to be such a boost for the team. Jenkins, Hall, and Lockette are essentially practice squad. I really hope that Jenkins just blows the preseason up because I don't think Kyle Williams can be your #2 until Manningham return. Were going to need as much production as possible. We should hit this position hard in the draft. It's a very deep draft for WR too. It was exciting to see Harbaugh watching Robert Woods run the Gauntlet I think he found his guy.

Since I've been accused of being biased............not sure where people get that idea anyways, seems totally misinformed , I devised this mock draft utilizing mostly players that have never been included in any previous mock draft of mine. (PS-Baalke draft Quinton Patton.....he's that dude. )

Resign-Dashon Goldson, re-sign Soap to a lesser deal.

Sign-Richard Seymour, throw him into the rotation as a 3-4 DE on a 2 year deal.

Trade one 7th rounder away to KC as part of Alex Smith deal(this is still being deliberated according to rumors).

Datone Jones, Desmond Trufant, Johnthan Banks and Jesse Wiliams are all gone before the 49ers first pick.

Round 1-Tavon Austin-WR-West Virginia-Yeah he kind of looks like an extra from the Munchkin Village tryouts for Wizard of Oz but he's a hell of a football player. Great timed speed, but more importantly, great football speed. Unlike a guy like Ryan Swope who made jaws drop when he ran his 40 at the Combine with people saying "no f**king way did we think he's that fast", Austin does look that fast out on the football field. He'd be a nice pick simply because he increases offensive explosiveness. In an ever-more passing-friendly NFL, he's someone who can make it due to rules that protect both QB's and WR's going over the middle of the field. He's got both quickness and speed and is an instant matchup nightmare that Kaepernick could have a lot of fun with. He'll provide the same deep, scary threat that Moss did, with teams have to keeping their safeties back just in case he goes off. Additionally, now you have your returner positions covered so people can stop crying about that too.

Trade down about 8-10 spots in the 2nd round, acquire another 4th round pick

Round 2A-Da'Rick Rogers-WR-Tennessee Tech-"WAIT, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THAT'S 2 WR'S IN A ROW, BUT...BUT...BUT." Deal with it, this is my mock draft. WR has been such an issue for so long with this team, even after last season they were down to Crabtree, Moss, AJ Jenkins and Vince Papale. Adding Austin gives you explosiveness and a major downfield threat, adding Rogers gives you a big, physical WR that is very tough to press and can pick up major yards after the catch. If you can trot out a top 3 of Crabtree, Rogers and Austin, with whatever contributions the corpse of AJ Jenkins can provide, that's a lineup of WR's that can flat out light teams up. One point about Rogers that one other poster made quite succinctly is that he doesn't have any real weaknesses. He's not going to be a big downfield threat, but in terms of being a very physical receiver, making plays on the ball, having reliable hands, using his size to get open, he's really got all the tools to succeed.

Round 2B-Robert Alford-CB-Southeastern Louisiana-Everything I've seen from this explosive small school player tells me he's going to be a very good NFL cornerback. Shows great field awareness, doesn't have the best size but is a fighter, a very physical player, a ballhawk who adjusts to passes well in the air, has shown good prowess defending in the red-zone, I opted to keep him in because of the value he represents at this position.

Round 3A-Shawn Williams-SS-Georgia. I was going to go with JJ Wilcox who I love, but to balance it out and keep it fresh, I'll go with Williams, a very active safety, hard hitter but with surprisingly decent coverage ability. He had a GREAT combine and allayed a lot of concerns about his athleticism. He's a strong tackler and someone that could replace Whitner, sooner or later.

This is where I flip the script and trade up from the early 4th round, giving up 5th and 7th rounders to move up between the 28th and 30th picks of the 3rd.

Round 3B-Jamie Collins-OLB-Southern Miss. Athletic super-freak, just a tremendous beast that can play the 3-4 OLB, could be useful from a depth perspective, 49ers absolutely could use someone to add depth to keep guys like Aldon and Brooks fresh. Fleming is coming back off a season-ending injury and Cam Johnson is an unknown, I think Collins gives this team good pass rushing ability coupled with just freakish, off the charts athleticism, if this dude ever gets into trouble, he can definitely jump high enough to hit the floating magic block above to release the Mushroom Boost-Up.

Round 3C-Bennie Logan-DE/DT-LSU. Logan is someone I've gone back and forth on. He's a 4-3 player but does have potential as a 3-4 DE, although I'm not completely sold, at this point in the draft, his talent and upside is way to good to overlook. He plays with a high motor, not a good pass rusher per say but is active, always fighting hard. He does well in pursuit and has the necessary size to play as a 3-4 DE. He did fairly well at the Combine, would be a nice addition here.

Round 4-Montori Hughes-NT-Tennessee-Martin. Yes I've included him before, but I like him a lot better than Geathers. He's got a huge upside, which Baalke obviously likes in players that he drafts. Had some character issues but would be a nice player for depth, to start developing as a potential starter down the road. Had kind of a lousy showing at the Combine but he's a high-motor guy that is intensely competitive, good addition at this point in the draft.

Round 4(Comp)-Chris Gragg-TE-Arkansas-Delanie Walker is out the door, so Gragg would be a natural to bring in to replace him. He had a down year due to injuries but his Combine numbers were absolutely bonkers off the charts compared to the other TE's. Highly athletic, a very good receiver, needs to work and improve as a blocker, also has had issues with drops at times, needs better overall focus. With the right coaching, he could become a very effective TE, better than a guy like Jordan Reed.

Round 5-Dustin Hopkins-K-Florida-Akers clearly isn't the answer, 49ers obviously need a kicker and this guy is arguably the best in this year's draft, though I think Sturgis is up there as well in terms of talent.

Round 6-Shamarko Thomas-SS-Syracuse. I may be cheating here but this guy replaces McBath and becomes a top special teams gunner. Freakish athletic ability and loves to hit like a Mack Truck, I think the 49ers will now understand the value of special teams after the way things went down at the Superbowl.

Round 6-Braden Brown-OT-BYU. Very good pass blocker, has a lot of work to do in terms of run blocking. Great size and measurables for the position, needs to play more aggressively, quite passive at times but a lot of his issues can be coached up. Holds potential as a starting right tackle someday.

Round 7(Comp)-Colby Cameron-QB-Lousiana Tech. Sure, they don't get the WR I really want from Louisiana Tech but they do get the quarterback. Doesn't have a very strong arm, can be very erratic at times. Decent mobility, gets too cocky, has the ability to get the ball out quick but tries to force it into places he really shouldn't. Shows good leadership qualities. Good athleticism, fairly mobile, his ceiling is a quality NFL backup basically but well worth the pick here.

Round 7(Comp)-Nicholas Williams-DE-Samford. Good small-school player, has ideal size as a 3-4 DE, can also move around the DL as well. Had a very good showing at the Combine, very athletic, at this point in the draft he's more or less competing for the spot RJF held before he went and signed with the Green Bay Packers...that b*****d.

f**k Tavon Austin and Da'Rick Rogers

/ thread
Originally posted by SkyGod:
f**k Tavon Austin and Da'Rick Rogers

/ thread

Scintillating analysis.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Scintillating analysis.

He's got a point, after all according to him the 49ers are going to acquire Percy Harvin, Revis and Greg Jennings....AND give them all big money deals....dude's a bigtime player, he knows.

You don't build winning teams through the draft, that's weak as hell, you building them through blowing your entire salary cap on other team's free agents that they can't or don't want to sign.
Share 49ersWebzone