LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

Un-Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft

Since I've been accused of being biased............not sure where people get that idea anyways, seems totally misinformed , I devised this mock draft utilizing mostly players that have never been included in any previous mock draft of mine. (PS-Baalke draft Quinton Patton.....he's that dude. )

Resign-Dashon Goldson, re-sign Soap to a lesser deal.

Sign-Richard Seymour, throw him into the rotation as a 3-4 DE on a 2 year deal.

Trade one 7th rounder away to KC as part of Alex Smith deal(this is still being deliberated according to rumors).

Datone Jones, Desmond Trufant, Johnthan Banks and Jesse Wiliams are all gone before the 49ers first pick.

Round 1-Tavon Austin-WR-West Virginia-Yeah he kind of looks like an extra from the Munchkin Village tryouts for Wizard of Oz but he's a hell of a football player. Great timed speed, but more importantly, great football speed. Unlike a guy like Ryan Swope who made jaws drop when he ran his 40 at the Combine with people saying "no f**king way did we think he's that fast", Austin does look that fast out on the football field. He'd be a nice pick simply because he increases offensive explosiveness. In an ever-more passing-friendly NFL, he's someone who can make it due to rules that protect both QB's and WR's going over the middle of the field. He's got both quickness and speed and is an instant matchup nightmare that Kaepernick could have a lot of fun with. He'll provide the same deep, scary threat that Moss did, with teams have to keeping their safeties back just in case he goes off. Additionally, now you have your returner positions covered so people can stop crying about that too.

Trade down about 8-10 spots in the 2nd round, acquire another 4th round pick

Round 2A-Da'Rick Rogers-WR-Tennessee Tech-"WAIT, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THAT'S 2 WR'S IN A ROW, BUT...BUT...BUT." Deal with it, this is my mock draft. WR has been such an issue for so long with this team, even after last season they were down to Crabtree, Moss, AJ Jenkins and Vince Papale. Adding Austin gives you explosiveness and a major downfield threat, adding Rogers gives you a big, physical WR that is very tough to press and can pick up major yards after the catch. If you can trot out a top 3 of Crabtree, Rogers and Austin, with whatever contributions the corpse of AJ Jenkins can provide, that's a lineup of WR's that can flat out light teams up. One point about Rogers that one other poster made quite succinctly is that he doesn't have any real weaknesses. He's not going to be a big downfield threat, but in terms of being a very physical receiver, making plays on the ball, having reliable hands, using his size to get open, he's really got all the tools to succeed.

Round 2B-Robert Alford-CB-Southeastern Louisiana-Everything I've seen from this explosive small school player tells me he's going to be a very good NFL cornerback. Shows great field awareness, doesn't have the best size but is a fighter, a very physical player, a ballhawk who adjusts to passes well in the air, has shown good prowess defending in the red-zone, I opted to keep him in because of the value he represents at this position.

Round 3A-Shawn Williams-SS-Georgia. I was going to go with JJ Wilcox who I love, but to balance it out and keep it fresh, I'll go with Williams, a very active safety, hard hitter but with surprisingly decent coverage ability. He had a GREAT combine and allayed a lot of concerns about his athleticism. He's a strong tackler and someone that could replace Whitner, sooner or later.

This is where I flip the script and trade up from the early 4th round, giving up 5th and 7th rounders to move up between the 28th and 30th picks of the 3rd.

Round 3B-Jamie Collins-OLB-Southern Miss. Athletic super-freak, just a tremendous beast that can play the 3-4 OLB, could be useful from a depth perspective, 49ers absolutely could use someone to add depth to keep guys like Aldon and Brooks fresh. Fleming is coming back off a season-ending injury and Cam Johnson is an unknown, I think Collins gives this team good pass rushing ability coupled with just freakish, off the charts athleticism, if this dude ever gets into trouble, he can definitely jump high enough to hit the floating magic block above to release the Mushroom Boost-Up.

Round 3C-Bennie Logan-DE/DT-LSU. Logan is someone I've gone back and forth on. He's a 4-3 player but does have potential as a 3-4 DE, although I'm not completely sold, at this point in the draft, his talent and upside is way to good to overlook. He plays with a high motor, not a good pass rusher per say but is active, always fighting hard. He does well in pursuit and has the necessary size to play as a 3-4 DE. He did fairly well at the Combine, would be a nice addition here.

Round 4-Montori Hughes-NT-Tennessee-Martin. Yes I've included him before, but I like him a lot better than Geathers. He's got a huge upside, which Baalke obviously likes in players that he drafts. Had some character issues but would be a nice player for depth, to start developing as a potential starter down the road. Had kind of a lousy showing at the Combine but he's a high-motor guy that is intensely competitive, good addition at this point in the draft.

Round 4(Comp)-Chris Gragg-TE-Arkansas-Delanie Walker is out the door, so Gragg would be a natural to bring in to replace him. He had a down year due to injuries but his Combine numbers were absolutely bonkers off the charts compared to the other TE's. Highly athletic, a very good receiver, needs to work and improve as a blocker, also has had issues with drops at times, needs better overall focus. With the right coaching, he could become a very effective TE, better than a guy like Jordan Reed.

Round 5-Dustin Hopkins-K-Florida-Akers clearly isn't the answer, 49ers obviously need a kicker and this guy is arguably the best in this year's draft, though I think Sturgis is up there as well in terms of talent.

Round 6-Shamarko Thomas-SS-Syracuse. I may be cheating here but this guy replaces McBath and becomes a top special teams gunner. Freakish athletic ability and loves to hit like a Mack Truck, I think the 49ers will now understand the value of special teams after the way things went down at the Superbowl.

Round 6-Braden Brown-OT-BYU. Very good pass blocker, has a lot of work to do in terms of run blocking. Great size and measurables for the position, needs to play more aggressively, quite passive at times but a lot of his issues can be coached up. Holds potential as a starting right tackle someday.

Round 7(Comp)-Colby Cameron-QB-Lousiana Tech. Sure, they don't get the WR I really want from Louisiana Tech but they do get the quarterback. Doesn't have a very strong arm, can be very erratic at times. Decent mobility, gets too cocky, has the ability to get the ball out quick but tries to force it into places he really shouldn't. Shows good leadership qualities. Good athleticism, fairly mobile, his ceiling is a quality NFL backup basically but well worth the pick here.

Round 7(Comp)-Nicholas Williams-DE-Samford. Good small-school player, has ideal size as a 3-4 DE, can also move around the DL as well. Had a very good showing at the Combine, very athletic, at this point in the draft he's more or less competing for the spot RJF held before he went and signed with the Green Bay Packers...that b*****d.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM ]
been high on Rogers and Williams all year.....

if Ace Sanders has a good pro day I would look to add him
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:

Don't need him if you have Tavon Austin.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Don't need him if you have Tavon Austin.
not fond of burning another 1st on a WR, would rather get Eifert

I see WR as the bigger need over TE, especially someone as explosive as Austin. Now that they have a QB that can attack everywhere on the field and is willing to do so, the more they invest in WR's, the better their dividends will be. Austin along with Crabtree, VD, Gore and now Kaepernick running the option is the stuff of nightmares for defensive coordinators.

I see WR as the bigger need over TE, especially someone as explosive as Austin. Now that they have a QB that can attack everywhere on the field and is willing to do so, the more they invest in WR's, the better their dividends will be. Austin along with Crabtree, VD, Gore and now Kaepernick running the option is the stuff of nightmares for defensive coordinators.
wasn't jenkins supposed to be that guy?

I'm over the midget WR and at 174lb's we are banking on him to be strong enough from the start....we cant have another repeat of this year
wasn't jenkins supposed to be that guy?

I'm over the midget WR and at 174lb's we are banking on him to be strong enough from the start....we cant have another repeat of this year

Jenkins is hardly a midget, he just didn't perform very well. Austin I think is substantially more explosive and dominant.
NO WAY we draft 2 WR's
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
On paper, this draft would give us explosive firepower that doesn't involve Kaepernick running for 80 yard TDs. I love the offensive weapons you add. Although we use Seymour as a security blanket, I think you smartly added developmental picks in the mid-rounds. Because we operate in the 4-2-5 quite a bit, it's not necessary to draft a Jenkins-type very high.

And the Alford pick is great - much needed talent added to the secondary. If you look at our contract structures, guys like Gore, Goodwin, and Rogers are going to get released, retire, or become free agents.

And the Thomas pick reminds me a lot of the Colin Jones pick a few years ago - a stud on special teams. Except Thomas provides more value in the secondary.

This draft is vital to usher the new generation of our team, and I think you did a great job in taking understandable risks to accomplish that.

Just imagine a 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB set of: Crabs, Austin, Rogers, Davis, and L. James. Take Davis or Gore out and plug in Manningham.

Match up nightmare.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
NO WAY we draft 2 WR's

Because the 49ers current receiving group is so deep and talented?

You've got Michael Crabtree, a legitimate #1 WR.

And beyond that, what?

Kyle Williams-Nice slot receiver, so so returner, coming off a season ending injury.

Mario Manningham-#3 WR with the Giants, suffered not just a season-ending injury but an unusually severe one at that, won't be back for minicamps.

Randy Moss-Aging legend, sideline inspiration, a free agent and could be gone soon.

AJ Jenkins-Was too busy to go run hills with Jerry Rice, got beat out by Vince Papale in the playoffs.

Vince Papale-Last seen playing special teams with the Eagles under Coach Dick Vermeil.

Ricardo Lockette-Got cut by a Seahawks team desperate for WR's.

Where is the depth? Where is the talent? This isn't my ideal draft necessarily but to say the 49ers don't need additional contributors at WR is short-sighted.

1-Michael Crabtree
2-Da'Rick Rogers
3-Tavon Austin
4-AJ Jenkins or Mario Manningham
5-Kyle Williams
6-Ricardo Lockette

That's more like a professional WR corps with actual depth to it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM ]

Originally posted by GEEK:
On paper, this draft would give us explosive firepower that doesn't involve Kaepernick running for 80 yard TDs. I love the offensive weapons you add. Although we use Seymour as a security blanket, I think you smartly added developmental picks in the mid-rounds. Because we operate in the 4-2-5 quite a bit, it's not necessary to draft a Jenkins-type very high.

I think after the 1st round is over, the quality and availability of 3-4 DE's goes down significantly. At that point, rather than forcing a pick, take a guy like Logan later on and look for a better one in the 1st round next year. Seymour does provide a nice addition, more depth and an experienced vet who's been around the block.

And the Alford pick is great - much needed talent added to the secondary. If you look at our contract structures, guys like Gore, Goodwin, and Rogers are going to get released, retire, or become free agents.

Like Alford a lot, he has tremendous talent, doubted because of the level of competition but he's a big-time player.

And the Thomas pick reminds me a lot of the Colin Jones pick a few years ago - a stud on special teams. Except Thomas provides more value in the secondary.

Absolutely, Thomas has the potential and the work ethic to develop into something better, but just as a monster special teamer he provides great value. Also, great character guy, lost both his parents, basically took care of all his younger siblings. He's a grown man.

This draft is vital to usher the new generation of our team, and I think you did a great job in taking understandable risks to accomplish that.

Just imagine a 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB set of: Crabs, Austin, Rogers, Davis, and L. James. Take Davis or Gore out and plug in Manningham.

Match up nightmare.

That's what I've been talking about for awhile. This team needs to create more matchup problems on offense. Having Crabtree, Jenkins, Manningham and Williams coming off severe injuries along with Lockette...doesn't do it for me. Add Austin and Rogers and now you've added a ton of speed, size and playmaking ability that teams will struggle to defend.
NO WAY we draft 2 WR's

Because the 49ers current receiving group is so deep and talented?

You've got Michael Crabtree, a legitimate #1 WR.

And beyond that, what?

Kyle Williams-Nice slot receiver, so so returner, coming off a season ending injury.

Mario Manningham-#3 WR with the Giants, suffered not just a season-ending injury but an unusually severe one at that, won't be back for minicamps.

Randy Moss-Aging legend, sideline inspiration, a free agent and could be gone soon.

AJ Jenkins-Was too busy to go run hills with Jerry Rice, got beat out by Vince Papale in the playoffs.

Vince Papale-Last season playing special teams with the Eagles.

Ricardo Lockette-Got cut by a Seahawks team desperate for WR's.

Where is the depth? Where is the talent? This isn't my ideal draft necessarily but to say the 49ers don't need additional contributors at WR is short-sighted.

1-Michael Crabtree
2-Da'Rick Rogers
3-Tavon Austin
4-AJ Jenkins or Mario Manningham
5-Kyle Williams
6-Ricardo Lockette

That's more like a professional WR corps with actual depth to it.

U forget free agency we are signing a WR that is why

Really, exactly who are they signing?

Really, exactly who are they signing?

no one big like a Louis Murphy?Brandon Gibson type on the cheap. Our defense has to many wholes DT & Safety are gonna be addressed early imo. Draft 1 but not 2.
no one big like a Louis Murphy?Brandon Gibson type on the cheap. Our defense has to many wholes DT & Safety are gonna be addressed early imo. Draft 1 but not 2.

I like the thought of adding Gibson, but none of those players is a potential difference-maker, they are all solid #3 WR's at best.

I also don't see all these holes in the defense like you are saying. Add Richard Seymour and you've got depth at DE. Re-sign Soap, draft Hughes, along with Ian Williams,better off overall at NT.

In the secondary, Rogers won't be cut, his savings would be minimal, so its the same group coming back, minus Brock, who would be replaced by Alford, I see that as a huge plus and Alford as a potential replacement for Brown if they can't re-sign him or Rogers if they do cut him a year or two down the road.

I see both Goldson and Whitner returning. No point in the 49ers cutting an experienced safety like Whitner just because. His contract is up at the end of next season, at which point he would be allowed to walk and Williams would take over his spot after having had a year to develop.

Beyond that, what are these holes that you're seeing on the defense? They are set at linebacker, set at CB with Brown and Culliver for now. Set at DE with Ray McDonald and Justin Smith. Obviously they need a potential replacement for Justin and I'd love to see the 49ers acquire a stud 3-4 DE but I just don't see any that will likely be available if Datone Jones goes early, if thats the case, they might as well make the offense more explosive.

This defense as is, will one of the best in the NFL again, ranking at the very top, if you can make this offense more dynamic, that's a hell of a difficult matchup for virtually every team out there. I know the visceral response is to blame the defense after the Superbowl, but if the 49ers don't give up that kick return to Jacoby Jones, if they have more depth at DE, if their offensive is more explosive and dynamic, there's no way they lose that game.

The way I look at it, this team needs:

1. Playmakers on offense, particularly those who can excel in the red-zone. Austin with his insane quickness and Rogers with his strength and size, both foot the bill.

2. Depth on defense. Adding Seymour, Logan, Collins, Alford and Williams covers depth.

3. Improved special teams coverage-You add Alford, Thomas and Collins to the special teams and let them use their athletic abilities to light people up. Additionally now you've got a lot of potential returners. Austin, LaMichael James, Alford, Kyle Williams.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone