LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Un-Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I would go balistic if we picked WR's 1-2 in this draft. That is probably the most UN-REALISTIC mock I have ever seen.

For the first time in year we have a QB who can get the ball to his receivers. Kaepernick's arm and the system we play in will make our receivers better.

Plus, our #2 WR is our 5th option behind the run game, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker.
in the
Mario Manningham is a great #2 if he comes back 100% which he should. Kyle Williams looked fantastic as a slot WR and we have AJ Jenkins to prove himself. We will most likely draft one WR, probably in the 3rd, because Manningham and Williams are free agents after the season.

Games are won and lost in the trenches and our secondary is a mess. Those are the reason's why we lost the Super Bowl, not the lack of receivers.

Actually I think this mock is pretty realistic. It's definitly more realistic than these dline log jamming mocks. The defense lost the game in the 1st half. They almost won it in the 2nd. Do you want to draft new starters or something? What happened at the bowl was not a depth issue. They had a month to prepare and a month to rest. I think it's time people woke up. Just because the offense has been non existent the past 5 years doesn't mean that's the way it's supposed to be. Most teams have 2-3 receivers than can produce at least 500 yards. I mean heaven forbid Crabtree gets injured. Lol you would all be eating your words. We need at least 2 WR in this draft. I don't care if its picks 1 and 2 but we need some rotation in that spot. I'm tired of seeing seattles secondary eat our lunch. And the Rams aren't going away. Were the team to beat in the west. Its about time our offense started winning games because we can't depend on our defense to continue to dig us out of holes.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dlance:
I get where your going, and it could happen. I would never draft like this. I hope with there first 3 or 4 pick they go def. CB and DL. that is what they need the most then later in the draft. pick up someone like a Marquess Wilson and Robert Woods. I think they should draft 2 WR just not with the first 2 picks. Plus if Dashon Goldson want 8 to 9 mil a year to play I think he will be getting it from another team. With all the 3 and 4 WR set they will be seeing, I think the FS need to be able to cover a WR more then coming up for the big Hit. He will still need to hit just not as much.

What if the talent simply isn't there? If you read through the draft, the 49ers add plenty to the secondary and the DL. In either case, any of those players you draft, are going to be backups. You're not drafting DL starters or CB starters. The defense could be exactly the same as last year in terms of starters. So who gives you more impact, a 3rd string CB and DE, or WR's that will regularly play and be out on the field?

Your healthy WR's for next season are Crabtree, Jenkins and the practice squad. Tell me that WR isn't a need, its practically the only position where this team will be looking for starters.

This system works only when the man coverage is there and the dline is generating pressure without the blitz. Rookies get burnt in man coverage. Rookie dlinmen usually don't get to the QB. Theyre facing 5 olinemen that are better than anyone they've ever faced. You have to develop defensive players. Anybody we draft isn't going to produce. I don't understand how people think log jamming the defense is going to magically produce.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Actually I think this mock is pretty realistic. It's definitly more realistic than these dline log jamming mocks. The defense lost the game in the 1st half. They almost won it in the 2nd. Do you want to draft new starters or something? What happened at the bowl was not a depth issue. They had a month to prepare and a month to rest. I think it's time people woke up. Just because the offense has been non existent the past 5 years doesn't mean that's the way it's supposed to be. Most teams have 2-3 receivers than can produce at least 500 yards. I mean heaven forbid Crabtree gets injured. Lol you would all be eating your words. We need at least 2 WR in this draft. I don't care if its picks 1 and 2 but we need some rotation in that spot. I'm tired of seeing seattles secondary eat our lunch. And the Rams aren't going away. Were the team to beat in the west. Its about time our offense started winning games because we can't depend on our defense to continue to dig us out of holes.

I don't think people realize that is Crabtree or VD goes down....this team is f**kED.

We saw what happened when Justin Smith went down, the entire defense fell apart, hence the addition of Richard Seymour and the drafting of Bennie Logan in this mock. However if Crabtree or VD go down, defenses will simply lock in on the other guy, load up the box and now you're screwed when it comes to running the ball, screwed when it comes to passing it and your offense slows to a crawl.
This system works only when the man coverage is there and the dline is generating pressure without the blitz. Rookies get burnt in man coverage. Rookie dlinmen usually don't get to the QB. Theyre facing 5 olinemen that are better than anyone they've ever faced. You have to develop defensive players. Anybody we draft isn't going to produce. I don't understand how people think log jamming the defense is going to magically produce.

I'd love to have Datone Jones, as you know, but I'm under no illusion to think that he's going to come in and dominate. At best he's a rotational guy who will play a low percentage of snaps. The same goes for any rookie CB.

You're looking at a CB depth chart like this for next season:

1-Brown
2-Culliver
3-Rogers
4-Cox
5-????

Where does a rookie cornerback make an impact in that lineup in the first year other than perhaps on special teams. They absolutely need to draft at least one to replace Brock and to develop into a future starter, but people advocating drafting 2-3 CB's, that's not reality, that's an emotional response to their perceptions about the Superbowl. Having two or three CB's sitting on the bench isn't going to make this team any more effective out on the field.
I don't think people realize that is Crabtree or VD goes down....this team is f**kED.

We saw what happened when Justin Smith went down, the entire defense fell apart, hence the addition of Richard Seymour and the drafting of Bennie Logan in this mock. However if Crabtree or VD go down, defenses will simply lock in on the other guy, load up the box and now you're screwed when it comes to running the ball, screwed when it comes to passing it and your offense slows to a crawl.

Exactly. We cant depend on our defense to continue pulling us out of holes. It's crazy. People act like our defense is on the verge of completely collapse and our offense is stacked to the teeth. We need dline and wr rotation equally. They should BOTH be addressed. Honestly I hope we draft another WR in the first because there's a lot of good prospects. Better than Jenkins was by far.
I'd love to have Datone Jones, as you know, but I'm under no illusion to think that he's going to come in and dominate. At best he's a rotational guy who will play a low percentage of snaps. The same goes for any rookie CB.

1-Brown
2-Culliver
3-Rogers
4-Cox
5-????

Where does a rookie cornerback make an impact in that lineup in the first year other than perhaps on special teams. They absolutely need to draft at least one to replace Brock and to develop into a future starter, but people advocating drafting 2-3 CB's, that's not reality, that's an emotional response to their perceptions about the Superbowl. Having two or three CB's sitting on the bench isn't going to make this team any more effective out on the field.

Yea but people would rather we have their 5th CB and a dlineman that wont be able to generate the pressure our blitzless systemm requires than actually have a #2 WR. I mean our #2 and #3 have blown out knees. Talk about a rotation.

1-Brown
2-Culliver
3-Rogers
4-Cox
5-HONEY BADGER

Yea but people would rather we have their 5th CB and a dlineman that wont be able to generate the pressure our blitzless systemm requires than actually have a #2 WR. I mean our #2 and #3 have blown out knees. Talk about a rotation.

Exactly. We cant depend on our defense to continue pulling us out of holes. It's crazy. People act like our defense is on the verge of completely collapse and our offense is stacked to the teeth. We need dline and wr rotation equally. They should BOTH be addressed. Honestly I hope we draft another WR in the first because there's a lot of good prospects. Better than Jenkins was by far.

One thing that I never see mentioned in this talk about "first half in the Superbowl" is that the offense was highly ineffective. The Ravens worked to take away Crabtree and VD and the 49ers struggled. I don't see that the offense played all that much better than the defense. They moved the ball well a few times, but then James fumbled.....it wasn't a good half eitherway, but had this offense scored a couple times, it would be a far less insurmountable lead to come back from. This offense needs more depth, not just at WR, but that is the primary area of need. At no other position besides OLB was the team signing guys off the practice squad to come on to the roster late in the season.

I'm sick and tired of seeing all these random guys, Brett Swain, Vince Papale, Joe Hastings...etc...etc. They need better players, and if you're picking and have a shot at a potential gamebreaker like Austin, plus a guy with 1st round talent in Rogers, you do it and find your defensive players, in a draft where most of the depth is between the 2nd and 4th rounds...later on, especially if you don't expect a single one of them to be a starter next season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Had to do it. I guess Monday we will find out if Goldson gets the franchise tag. Return not possible if NOT tagged.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-mailbag-monday-key-date-goldson

One thing that I never see mentioned in this talk about "first half in the Superbowl" is that the offense was highly ineffective. The Ravens worked to take away Crabtree and VD and the 49ers struggled. I don't see that the offense played all that much better than the defense. They moved the ball well a few times, but then James fumbled.....it wasn't a good half eitherway, but had this offense scored a couple times, it would be a far less insurmountable lead to come back from. This offense needs more depth, not just at WR, but that is the primary area of need. At no other position besides OLB was the team signing guys off the practice squad to come on to the roster late in the season.

I'm sick and tired of seeing all these random guys, Brett Swain, Vince Papale, Joe Hastings...etc...etc. They need better players, and if you're picking and have a shot at a potential gamebreaker like Austin, plus a guy with 1st round talent in Rogers, you do it and find your defensive players, in a draft where most of the depth is between the 2nd and 4th rounds...later on, especially if you don't expect a single one of them to be a starter next season.

Exactly. Lack of depth wasn't an issue. Lack of talent wasn't an issue. I don't know what happens in the 1st qtr of games but I don't think we can draft the answer. We need rotation but your not going to get that for our dline in draft for this year. Our coaching staff doesn't put out a raw product. They put out Jenkins for one snap. No they want a functional product.Honestly if were going to draft defense with the first pick I want a tweener OLB/DE. A guy like Alex Okafor, Demontre Moore, or Cornellius Carradine. If you want to make sure our secondary isn't exposed and keep our dline fresh than get a couple of sacks and get them off the field. Anyways when a defense is struggling to click like ours was at Atlanta and NO you look to your offense to keep you in the game. The Ravens new we were thin there and they had Crab zoned out and Davis covered up. I don't think people understand or they can't see it. Look at multi-dimensional our offense got when kaep came in with the read option and it was clicking. You can't see those types of things. It really takes a smart mind to take potential and turn it into production. We have the potential to be a nasty offense but we need amore down field threats. We need more options for kaep so we can open up the field for davis and crab. Were missing out you guys because this is just the tip of iceberg.
Had to do it. I guess Monday we will find out if Goldson gets the franchise tag. Return not possible if NOT tagged.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-mailbag-monday-key-date-goldson

Return unlikely if not tagged.....doesn't mean anything though....in 2011 they set him free and told him good luck, he went out and found that the market wasn't nearly as hot for his services as he might have otherwise imagined. I say, set him free and let him go out and discover that the 49ers are in fact, NOT, low-balling him and that his market value isn't as high as he imagines it to be. Not every team is as retarded as the Chargers were with Eric Weddle.

Return unlikely if not tagged.....doesn't mean anything though....in 2011 they set him free and told him good luck, he went out and found that the market wasn't nearly as hot for his services as he might have otherwise imagined. I say, set him free and let him go out and discover that the 49ers are in fact, NOT, low-balling him and that his market value isn't as high as he imagines it to be. Not every team is as retarded as the Chargers were with Eric Weddle.

Safety is NOT a high paid position that is why I believe they will let him walk. He is being recruited by Stevie Johnson would be a good fit for bills.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/2/4055374/stevie-johnson-bills-free-agency-dwayne-bowe-dashon-goldson
Safety is NOT a high paid position that is why I believe they will let him walk. He is being recruited by Stevie Johnson would be a good fit for bills.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/2/4055374/stevie-johnson-bills-free-agency-dwayne-bowe-dashon-goldson

Stevie Johnson can say whatever the hell he wants, the Bills had to cut a bunch of people just to have the cap room to franchise Byrd. After last season's spending spree, I don't see them signing Goldson whatsoever. They have about $22 million, but that's before re-signing Byrd and Levitre, which will cost at least 12-13 million. I also don't see them dropping $14-15 million combined on the safety position.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM ]
What if the talent simply isn't there?

I see this being the major issue with the DL. I dont see that guy this year that will be the next J Smith. Taking a guy for the sake of it would be stupid.
Share 49ersWebzone