LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

Un-Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
What if the talent simply isn't there? If you read through the draft, the 49ers add plenty to the secondary and the DL. In either case, any of those players you draft, are going to be backups. You're not drafting DL starters or CB starters. The defense could be exactly the same as last year in terms of starters. So who gives you more impact, a 3rd string CB and DE, or WR's that will regularly play and be out on the field?

Your healthy WR's for next season are Crabtree, Jenkins and the practice squad. Tell me that WR isn't a need, its practically the only position where this team will be looking for starters.

The thing is that often w.r often take a year to catch on. . Whereas d lineman or secondary help can often go in right away. If we don't move up in the draft to pick a dlineman I say safety or corner cuz those are the positions were losing in free agency most likely. Our offense still has a lot of room to grow whereas the d just needs fresh talent more
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
No Phillip Thomas....Blasphemy!

I don't see it with Phillip Thomas. I watched his bowl game, senior bowl, boise st(2012), and Tulsa(2012). I wasn't impressed like most people are. I was reading about him and apparently he had a really good 2011 but his production has dropped off. What games would you suggest because I'm trying to crack the FS riddle?
Dropped off??? He led the nation in take aways last year with 8 picks!!!! He's a better fit than Whitner and at 61 or 74 I'd love to have him
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
The thing is that often w.r often take a year to catch on. .

I get that, but the 49ers need WR's to contribute, now and in the future. Beyond Crabtree, I have nothing to feel good about when it comes to the WR's. This team lacks playmakers who can get out on the field and contribute. With a guy like Austin, even as a rookie, teams have to adjust defensively for him, they have to keep a safety back to allow for his ability to stretch the field. Anytime you force the defense to adjust, that's a good thing.

Whereas d lineman or secondary help can often go in right away. If we don't move up in the draft to pick a dlineman I say safety or corner cuz those are the positions were losing in free agency most likely. Our offense still has a lot of room to grow whereas the d just needs fresh talent more

Say the defense comes back exactly the same as last year. Now you've got a bunch of draft picks sitting on the bench, not contributing. I honestly don't think that this team needs more than one cornerback, one safety and a couple of defensive lineman in the draft. Most likely none of them will be getting any major playing time to begin with.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I see this being the major issue with the DL. I dont see that guy this year that will be the next J Smith. Taking a guy for the sake of it would be stupid.

I agree. I think they need more depth, but just loading up on guys that will have their asses firmly planted to the bench is not a solution. They need on-the-field contributors that will make a positive impact. If they can't get a top DE, then I would look at WR as this draft is absolutely loaded with CB's and quality safeties between the 2nd and 4th rounds. You only have so much room for more cornerbacks on this roster. Rogers won't be released, he's a smart veteran and any savings from cutting him would be minimal. If Goldson is re-signed, then a rookie isn't getting out on to the field much either.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM ]
I don't know how accurate it is but was an entertaining read for sure
I think too many people here are focusing on position as opposed to actual players and what they will contribute to the team.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
The thing is that often w.r often take a year to catch on. . Whereas d lineman or secondary help can often go in right away. If we don't move up in the draft to pick a dlineman I say safety or corner cuz those are the positions were losing in free agency most likely. Our offense still has a lot of room to grow whereas the d just needs fresh talent more

There were 11 rookie WR that produced over 300 yards this season. 6 produced over 500. 3 produced over 800. This WR class is very deep and you could easily get one of the top 5 WR at 31 or 34. I also would like us to add a RZ threat TE as well. A WR that could add 500 yards and TE that could give us 5 TDS seems much more valuable than drafting a DE than most likely wont even see the field his 1st year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I see this being the major issue with the DL. I dont see that guy this year that will be the next J Smith. Taking a guy for the sake of it would be stupid.

I agree. I think they need more depth, but just loading up on guys that will have their asses firmly planted to the bench is not a solution. They need on-the-field contributors that will make a positive impact. If they can't get a top DE, then I would look at WR as this draft is absolutely loaded with CB's and quality safeties between the 2nd and 4th rounds. You only have so much room for more cornerbacks on this roster. Rogers won't be released, he's a smart veteran and any savings from cutting him would be minimal. If Goldson is re-signed, then a rookie isn't getting out on to the field much either.
If Goldson walks....

I would take Viccaro and Williams, but 2 DL late
Rogers played at Tennessee and was their 3rd WR. He is no 1st rder! I would take Patterson or Hunter before Rogers. I been a Vols fan for almost as long as a Niner fan(42 yrs), so I watch a lot ot UT football. He has decent speed, but got lost way too much!
[ Edited by postal509 on Mar 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM ]
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Originally posted by eonblue:
No Phillip Thomas....Blasphemy!

I don't see it with Phillip Thomas. I watched his bowl game, senior bowl, boise st(2012), and Tulsa(2012). I wasn't impressed like most people are. I was reading about him and apparently he had a really good 2011 but his production has dropped off. What games would you suggest because I'm trying to crack the FS riddle?
Dropped off??? He led the nation in take aways last year with 8 picks!!!! He's a better fit than Whitner and at 61 or 74 I'd love to have him

I already cleared that up. He didnt even play in 2011.

Other than Shamarko going in the 6th (I don't see him getting out of the 4th round) it's a realistic mock and one that I would have no problem with.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Logan over C. Washington? mmm... I'm okay with the rest... more than okay...I'd be pretty happy with Austin and Rogers. I don't know we pull the trigger that high on 2 wrs.

Washington was mocked in the 7th round prior to the Combine and for good reason.

Good reason being that there's so many other great players there and he was told to open blocks up for his teammates, or did you have a different reason?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Good reason being that there's so many other great players there and he was told to open blocks up for his teammates, or did you have a different reason?

Workout warrior. You can say the scheme changes affected him, but talent rises up above all other things. He's a guy who's essentially too small to play DE but has lacked the agility and fluid movement to be a 3-4 OLB and step back into coverage. I'm not sure where you play him at the NFL level. His Combine performance moved him up a round or two, but he's still someone where teams really can't be sure as to what they are getting beyond the physical aspect.
I already cleared that up. He didnt even play in 2011.

Actually the scouting report said that he was injured all of 2011 and looked timid in coverage compared to pre injury. I didn't know hjs stats were so good thpugh. Like I said the tape I've watched is nothing special. I've seen better run supporters in this draft and his coverage ability doesn't look great. Ive only watched the bowl game and senior bowl so I guess I don't have accurate veiw. Dudes 2012 production is nothing to scoff at.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Drafting two wide receivers makes sense.

It is certain that Randy Moss will not be back, and it is almost certain that Ted Ginn Jr. will not be on the squad next year.

That leaves six wide receivers on the team.

1. Michael Crabtree
2. Mario Manningham
3. Kyle Williams
4. A.J. Jenkins
5. Chad Hall
6. Ricardo Lockette

That is neither a very deep nor a very talented group of wide receivers. Overall this may be the weakest unit on the team.

Making matters even worse is the high probability that Mario Manningham will start the season on the PUP. In fact, because of the conjuncture of his recovery time, contract length, and salary, Manningham might be released.

The team needs to add, through free agency and the draft, at least two wide receivers.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone