There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers targeting Ertz?

  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 874
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
While I keep mocking a NT in the first round based on how I think the cards will fall on draft day, I would LOVE this pick. Vernon Davis is a beast and one of the most elite athletes in the NFL, but everything he and Delanie lack (jump ball ability, route running, great hands, awareness) Zack Ertz possesses in spades. To make things even better he is an instant contributor (plug and play) given that he's familiar with Harbaugh's system (played in it for 3 years), is the perfect fit for Harbaugh's system (Harbaugh recruited him due to this match) and has played with a similar style qb as Kaepernick (Hogan).

If you're one of those draftniks that think we need to draft DL because our window is closing (Justin smith won't last forever) this pick makes sense for the same reasons. Truth is there is no Justin Smith caliber of 3-4 DE in this draft (Sheldon Richardson is solid but won't make it to our pick). Rather than reach on a player who just so happens to play the same position, why not take a player that can instantly and significantly contribute in this "short window". A player like Ertz is a critical safety blanket for a QB when things break down, provides a jump ball threat we lack in the redzone, and would be an invaluable asset to the team.

Valid points but I still think Margus Hunt DT from SMU can become the next Justin Smith...or at least a close resemblance.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 874
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Honestly would rather have Eifert if we're drafting a TE in the first round.

Eifert is a Top 25 Pick IMO
Originally posted by eonblue:
Oh no I think Vernon is a great TE. I think he's the best player on our offense to be honest I was just simply saying I think Ertz would be a great compliment and in the future would provide stability when Vernon decides to retire.

On a side note thought Vernon was 33 but he's 28. A lot of what I said was under the assumption he only had a couple of years.


Wait... You expect us to take what you are saying seriously in regards to the draft when you thought Vernon was 33 years old?
Originally posted by SaksV:
Valid points but I still think Margus Hunt DT from SMU can become the next Justin Smith...or at least a close resemblance.

Or he can become a ginormous bust. He was somewhat underwhelming at the Senior Bowl, lacked explosiveness on his first step, looked very raw, which is to be expected, but for a guy who will be 26 years old at the start of the 2013 season, that's a big issue to consider.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Honestly would rather have Eifert if we're drafting a TE in the first round.

No thanks, another overrated ND player. Ertz has equivalent receiving ability but is also a far more eager and accomplished blocker.
I was not happy when they passed on Fleener last April! If they end up with either Ertz or Eifert... I would say they more than made up for it! Still wish we had Fleener running routes on Super Sunday over A.J. Go 9ers!!!!
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Davis is one of the best, if not the best athlete on the offence. I really mean it. The guy needs a bit more technique, but I see him next year as hooking up with the Kap for a record setting season.

And having a 2nd TE going across the field adds more versatility to the offense. Are the TE's blocking, are they running route's, is Kaepernick throwing, is he going to hand the ball off, it just becomes more of an overall matchup issue. I've been a huge proponent of adding that 2nd highly talented TE, not necessarily in the 1st round but if they go ahead and take a TE early, I won't complain, the #2 TE in this offense plays in a majority of the offensive snaps, so it would be nice to have a big, tall tight-end catching passes downfield.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And having a 2nd TE going across the field adds more versatility to the offense. Are the TE's blocking, are they running route's, is Kaepernick throwing, is he going to hand the ball off, it just becomes more of an overall matchup issue. I've been a huge proponent of adding that 2nd highly talented TE, not necessarily in the 1st round but if they go ahead and take a TE early, I won't complain, the #2 TE in this offense plays in a majority of the offensive snaps, so it would be nice to have a big, tall tight-end catching passes downfield.

I agree. I think a double TE set is a nightmare for teams. Not only can you exploit matchups but it complicates assignments and only disciplined defenses can handle it. s**t most defenses can't handle one TE (Atlanta and Cinci got tore apart by TE's in the playoffs this year)
Originally posted by Gelder:
Wait... You expect us to take what you are saying seriously in regards to the draft when you thought Vernon was 33 years old?

Sorry I went full retard.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I agree. I think a double TE set is a nightmare for teams. Not only can you exploit matchups but it complicates assignments and only disciplined defenses can handle it. s**t most defenses can't handle one TE (Atlanta and Cinci got tore apart by TE's in the playoffs this year)

Besides Ertz, there are other guys that I like such as Dion Sims, Gavin Escobar, Levine Toilolo, Mychal Rivera....etc, but having that capable 2nd TE is a major offensive advantage, it lessens the amount of top-quality WR's your team needs and allows the team to run an ever greater variety of plays out of the 2 TE set.
Ertz would be a great pickup but. I just think the DL has to take priority in round 1. If Jesse Williams, Sharif Floyd, or Datrone Jones are available when we select I just think it would be a mistake to pass on them for a TE.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ertz would be a great pickup but. I just think the DL has to take priority in round 1. If Jesse Williams, Sharif Floyd, or Datrone Jones are available when we select I just think it would be a mistake to pass on them for a TE.

I'm getting the feeling that there will be a run on defensive lineman early, especially since a few more teams have switched to the 3-4 defense now. Its entirely possible that none of those guys would be around, in which case the best value on the DL becomes a guy like Brandon Williams at NT in the late 2nd round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
I agree. I think a double TE set is a nightmare for teams. Not only can you exploit matchups but it complicates assignments and only disciplined defenses can handle it. s**t most defenses can't handle one TE (Atlanta and Cinci got tore apart by TE's in the playoffs this year)

Besides Ertz, there are other guys that I like such as Dion Sims, Gavin Escobar, Levine Toilolo, Mychal Rivera....etc, but having that capable 2nd TE is a major offensive advantage, it lessens the amount of top-quality WR's your team needs and allows the team to run an ever greater variety of plays out of the 2 TE set.


I concur. But the team NEEDS to have a real speed down-field threat. Who do you see filling that role?
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Jan 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM ]
I think we're targeting someone other than what the press says we're targeting.

That said, I'm a DLine person all the way BUT if we take aTE in1st then Balke/JH have sold me.

It would be exciting to see a trade up for someone unexpected.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Ertz would be a great pickup but. I just think the DL has to take priority in round 1. If Jesse Williams, Sharif Floyd, or Datrone Jones are available when we select I just think it would be a mistake to pass on them for a TE.

I'm getting the feeling that there will be a run on defensive lineman early, especially since a few more teams have switched to the 3-4 defense now. Its entirely possible that none of those guys would be around, in which case the best value on the DL becomes a guy like Brandon Williams at NT in the late 2nd round.

With the number of picks the Niners have they might be well served to move up to make sure they get one of these guys. You are right that they all could be gone.