There are 200 users in the forums

WRs in the 2013 draft

Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
AB83Rules, Manningham has 1 more year on his deal at a little over 3 million dollars a year. It's going to take some time for him to recover from that knee injury and I don't think he'll be ready for the start of next season. I don't know if SF is going to pay him 3 million dollars next year to rehab a knee injury. Depending on his recovery time he could be a cap casualty. What do you think?

He has some good amount of guaranteed base salary in his deal. Around 1.6M-2.6M of his base is guaranteed, I got this info back when he signed. I think if anything, he stays on PUP list. If he recovers in time for playoffs, we got ourselves another weapon to use.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Id like to see a third round pick used on Stedman Bailey. Hes about 5-10 but other than that hes the total package. Great route runner with great hands and speed to get deep. Hes also a powerful guy with enough wiggle and accelration to take short passes home. He played wide in college but I could see him being a major weapon in the slot as well. Also plays special teams.

Do you think he will last to the 3rd? Maybe the Panthers 3rd? I always saw Bailey and Austin as early-mid 2nd round picks.
The nice thing about Tavon Austin is we would have our punt returnman
Originally posted by titan:
I like Manningham, but that injury is pretty serious.

yea it was nasty to watch, he could be out for a long time, and i just don't see jenkins being a good WR sorry, i think we should atleast draft one at some point in the draft
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

yea it was nasty to watch, he could be out for a long time, and i just don't see jenkins being a good WR sorry, i think we should atleast draft one at some point in the draft

We have too, 2 WRs might not be ready for camp of them, Rio might not be ready for the regular season and Moss might not come back. It seems a foregone conclusion that Ginn is gone.

1 to 4 WRs need to be replaced in the short term, expect us draft 1 by the end of round 3 or 4(to hopefully become our long term #4 guy) and take a flier on a late rounder in the 6th or 7th just so we control his rights going into the regular season and then if he find a gem with that pick or a UDFA then we'll be set.
  • titan
  • Veteran
We really need Davis to start stepping up and becoming an elite receiver. For some crazy reason we just can't get our receivers to play well all at the same time. I know Davis has way more skills than Hernandez and that guy is murdering LB and Safeties.
Hopkins is awesome but since we lost Kyle Williams, Manningham, plus gwinn and moss are on one year deals we need to draft at least one maybe two guys. I think Austin is our pick we may pick someone else at 32 but move up to the middle of round two to get Austin. Now if he rin 4.3 flat he's the pick at 32 if available,
Geez.. Hopkins killing it as I type..
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Hopkins is awesome but since we lost Kyle Williams, Manningham, plus gwinn and moss are on one year deals we need to draft at least one maybe two guys. I think Austin is our pick we may pick someone else at 32 but move up to the middle of round two to get Austin. Now if he rin 4.3 flat he's the pick at 32 if available,

Damn did we win the superbowl already?!
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Nick515:
I have different scenarios for a couple wide receivers for the draft.

Keenan Allen may possibly be gone by the time the Niners pick unless based on combine results and seeing how he's healed from his previous left knee injury. However if the Niners coaching staff see something they like in him then they could trade up to get him (with 14 draft picks they have enough to trade for). I could see him as a number 2 guy opposite Crabtree. Also the fact that he plays right in Berkeley and in the PAC-12 makes it better because I'm sure Harbaugh and company have been watching this guy and from watching Allen he is a big body receiver at 6'3" with an ability to get more yards after the catch. I think the Niners should definitely look at this guy and consider moving up for him or if he slips then don't hesitate to pull the trigger and grab him.

I'm a big Tavon Austin fan and don't really see the Niners having to move up to get him based on him being projected a late round pick but with a strong combine that he could possibly dominate then he could be gone early and possibly to Seattle. I watched some of his videos and his cut ability is probably the best of any college wide receiver plus he can be used in different positions as a kick returner or running back and with Ginn Jr. gone Austin could easily replace him. He'd also be a good slot guy coming in since the Niners really lack a true slot receiver. Austin to me has Wes Welker like potential at the slot. Just faster.

Justin Hunter looks like a good prospect and I'm sure he'll be one of the top receivers taken based on his height at 6'4" and his ability to get over smaller corners. I haven't watched much video on him but I could see him as a go to guy in the Niners offense especially as a number 2 receiver. Hopefully he has a good combine and his knee injury hasn't did any damage to his acceleration.

Robert Woods is probably the most interesting of these 3 because he is considered a 2nd round pick although he may go early in the 2nd round and the Niners don't pick till late 2nd round. I think Woods could be a steal in the 2nd round because last year he was a top 10 pick but an ankle injury and Matt Barkley's throw mostly which consisted of getting Marquis Lee the ball hurt his stock but I could see Woods as a steal. He's a little bit similar to Crabtree in terms of play but that could be the best thing for the team when it comes to wide receiver. I could actually see Woods coming in as a second rounder and easily competing for the number 2 wideout position.

One player that was left off that I think should be considered is Ryan Swope out of Texas A&M. He's been a productive receiver with Tannehill and Manziel as his quarterback and I hear he's a hard worker on the field. I think the Niners should also look at him too just as a guy to maybe put in the slot. His game is somewhat reminiscent of Jordy Nelson a bit and I think he would be a giid throwing target to Kaepernick.

All in all, I believe the best wide receiver San Francisco should target is Keenan Allen, in my opinion. He's big with great hands and can get a lot of yards after the catch. I doubt he will be around by the time the Niners pick but with all the draft pick they have I see a lot of trades being made. I'm a Cal fan so I'm actually pulling for this one so maybe the team goes and gets Allen to pair with Crabtree with that the team could possibly be set for years and gives Kaepernick more weapons on the offense.
will this be the year the niners finally draft a cal player??

I sure hope so because Allen has a lot of talent and would be great opposite Crabtree. The Niners would be set.
[ Edited by Nick515 on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM ]

Quinton Patton and Ryan Swope

/thread

Patton has true #1 WR potential. He loves to block, is very aggressive, has a lot of fight in him, loves to compete, is a natural team leader, uses his quickness and terrific route-running skills to generate separation, has tremendous hands which allow him to make some silly-looking highlight reel catches, is a guy who has had to work his ass off every single step of the way, he got cut from his high-school football team tryouts early on, worked his way up to become a star, went to a junior college for two years, started off slow, then dominated at that level, went to Louisiana Tech and has dominated there as well. He's "the hardest worker on the team" for every team he's ever been on, the guy that shows up before anyone else and leaves after everyone else. His immense work ethic sets him apart from a lot of other WR's.

Always a threat to gain yards after the catch, not easy to take down and has good vision to break through the secondary for long gains. A few years from now he'll be one of those guys who makes a lot of teams feel silly for passing on him. I consider him the best WR in this draft, up there with Hunter and Allen. His lack of "jump off the page" measurables will have him be drafted lower than he rightfully should and some lucky team will be the beneficiary of getting a major steal.

Jonathan Banks, who is one of the top CB prospects in this draft said that Patton is the best WR he's ever had to defend, more complete than any other WR in the SEC.

Ryan Swope might be the closest thing to a Danny Amendola/Wes Welker type of player in the draft, not just because he's white. He's tough, hard-nosed, not scared to go over the middle, a team leader, total blue collar guy, puts everything out on the field, doesn't take plays off, has outstanding hands and quickness that allows him to gain separation. He's the ideal slot WR, he'll get drafted than a lot of comparable slot WR's, but still not high enough based on his skills and overall potential. In the right system he could be a true gamebreaking slot WR.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM ]
AJ's not a bust...yet!

We need a CB, DT, C, K, WR

CB
Carlos Rogers has shown that his best days are well behind him. Terrell Brown is a solid #2, but will never be a #1. Culliver is physical, but can be beaten by fast guys. The 49ers need to use a 1st or 2nd rounder on a CB.

DT
Isaac Sopoaga is getting long in the tooth and we definitely need depth along the D line.

C
See DT, but switch Soap for Goodwin.

K

WR
Manningham's injury looked bad. Kyle Williams will also be rehabbing from a serious injury. Moss will be one year older. Crabs is great, but we need a legit #2. Maybe it's AJ, maybe it isn't, but competition is good!
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM ]
  • dj43

Manningham is a decent #3 for a good passing team. However, with the seriousness of his injury, and occurring as late in the season as it has, the 49ers cannot afford to not draft a WR early on. Even if Jenkins does well next season, this team needs a BIG receiver to compete with the monster CBs in Seattle. (If you can't win your division, you are in trouble. Baalke needs to give some focus as to what it will take to beat Seattle at their place.
Originally posted by dj43:
Manningham is a decent #3 for a good passing team. However, with the seriousness of his injury, and occurring as late in the season as it has, the 49ers cannot afford to not draft a WR early on. Even if Jenkins does well next season, this team needs a BIG receiver to compete with the monster CBs in Seattle. (If you can't win your division, you are in trouble. Baalke needs to give some focus as to what it will take to beat Seattle at their place.

Why do people think you automatically need big wide receivers to go against big cornerbacks? I've seen this assumption made repeatedly and it yet has to make any sense. Wes Welker is hardly a "big" receiver yet he's one of the WR's who gave Seattle the most trouble this year. Generally speaking, a bigger defensive back won't be as fluid as smaller one, they don't turn their hips as well, you don't beat them by out-sizing them, you beat them through extreme quickness, guys who they will struggle to keep up with. One of the ways opposing teams will counter bigger WR's is with bigger cornerback's, when you have the opposite situation, you look for quickness, route-running skill and general ability to separate.

Browner I can tell you, in particular, is a cornerback that is vulnerable to shifty, faster wide receivers. You're better off taking him on with a 5'10" slot receiver that can explode off the line and quickly shift direction than a big tall wide receiver. Calvin Johnson killed it this year but struggled mightily against Seattle and ended up with 40 yards receiving for the game, even though Detroit won.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

Agreed. Austin should be our pick . A huge upgrade from Ginn, and I expect him to run under a 4.3. Hope we can still move up from our second to grab him. I hope Manningham is back, there were times I couldn't tell him apart from Crabby Patty. He was real good this year.
Share 49ersWebzone