LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

WRs in the 2013 draft

Once again, for about the 5th year in a row, the 9ers go into this draft with WR as a top need.

Last year, like the year before it, I argued on here that the 9ers really should draft multiple WRs to give themselves the best chance of finding a good one.

Now, with so many draft picks, I still think we should be looking to draft 3 WRs just to make sure we can come away with 1 or 2 guys that are worth a damn.

I'd really like to see us draft big bodied WR with some speed. And I'd like to see us draft a WR that can play both WR and KR/PR.

So which guys should the 9ers be targeting at WR in this draft?
I agree it is a need but not the top need....

We need the following....DT, DL, WR, S, TE, K, CB.

With that being said here is who I like at WR in the early rounds
Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
Corderelle Patterson
Tavon Austin
Robert Woods
Terrance Williams
I would put it as ONE of our top needs, along with DL and K. But we're certainly not going to pull an Al Davis and go K in the 1st.

Seems like Ginn and Moss could easily be gone after this year. Williams and Manningham will probably stay, but neither one is going to dramatically impact our offense. Jenkins, who knows....

I'll check youtube for some clips of those guys.

I really liked Randle and Sanu last year, and would love to find some players like that in this draft.
Originally posted by genz22:
I agree it is a need but not the top need....

We need the following....DT, DL, WR, S, TE, K, CB.

With that being said here is who I like at WR in the early rounds
Justin Hunter
Keenan Allen
Corderelle Patterson
Tavon Austin
Robert Woods
Terrance Williams

Me no want woods. He is too similar to crabtree. Keenan Allen would be a great addition. Tavon Austin would be nice to add even more speed to the offense.
  • titan
  • Veteran
My Favorite WR this year Cobi Hamilton.
DaRick Rogers Tenn. Tech is a big physical WR who is a first round talent but slipping because of off the field issues. Played at Tennessee but was kicked off the team and landed at Tenn. Tech.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
DaRick Rogers Tenn. Tech is a big physical WR who is a first round talent but slipping because of off the field issues. Played at Tennessee but was kicked off the team and landed at Tenn. Tech.

yea i agree but harbs and baalke dont like guys with baggage. i really wish we could of used some draft picks to take alfonso dennard and vontaz bufict last year cause those guys are tearin it up
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I would put it as ONE of our top needs, along with DL and K. But we're certainly not going to pull an Al Davis and go K in the 1st.

Seems like Ginn and Moss could easily be gone after this year. Williams and Manningham will probably stay, but neither one is going to dramatically impact our offense. Jenkins, who knows....

I'll check youtube for some clips of those guys.

I really liked Randle and Sanu last year, and would love to find some players like that in this draft.

I think Manningham has best shot of being here long term than Williams does. Mario is bigger and more physical of a WR.

Draft wise, Hunter and Allen are my favs.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by titan:
My Favorite WR this year Cobi Hamilton.

You listen to this dude.
AB83Rules, Manningham has 1 more year on his deal at a little over 3 million dollars a year. It's going to take some time for him to recover from that knee injury and I don't think he'll be ready for the start of next season. I don't know if SF is going to pay him 3 million dollars next year to rehab a knee injury. Depending on his recovery time he could be a cap casualty. What do you think?

• titan
  • Veteran
I like Manningham, but that injury is pretty serious.
I have different scenarios for a couple wide receivers for the draft.

Keenan Allen may possibly be gone by the time the Niners pick unless based on combine results and seeing how he's healed from his previous left knee injury. However if the Niners coaching staff see something they like in him then they could trade up to get him (with 14 draft picks they have enough to trade for). I could see him as a number 2 guy opposite Crabtree. Also the fact that he plays right in Berkeley and in the PAC-12 makes it better because I'm sure Harbaugh and company have been watching this guy and from watching Allen he is a big body receiver at 6'3" with an ability to get more yards after the catch. I think the Niners should definitely look at this guy and consider moving up for him or if he slips then don't hesitate to pull the trigger and grab him.

I'm a big Tavon Austin fan and don't really see the Niners having to move up to get him based on him being projected a late round pick but with a strong combine that he could possibly dominate then he could be gone early and possibly to Seattle. I watched some of his videos and his cut ability is probably the best of any college wide receiver plus he can be used in different positions as a kick returner or running back and with Ginn Jr. gone Austin could easily replace him. He'd also be a good slot guy coming in since the Niners really lack a true slot receiver. Austin to me has Wes Welker like potential at the slot. Just faster.

Justin Hunter looks like a good prospect and I'm sure he'll be one of the top receivers taken based on his height at 6'4" and his ability to get over smaller corners. I haven't watched much video on him but I could see him as a go to guy in the Niners offense especially as a number 2 receiver. Hopefully he has a good combine and his knee injury hasn't did any damage to his acceleration.

Robert Woods is probably the most interesting of these 3 because he is considered a 2nd round pick although he may go early in the 2nd round and the Niners don't pick till late 2nd round. I think Woods could be a steal in the 2nd round because last year he was a top 10 pick but an ankle injury and Matt Barkley's throw mostly which consisted of getting Marquis Lee the ball hurt his stock but I could see Woods as a steal. He's a little bit similar to Crabtree in terms of play but that could be the best thing for the team when it comes to wide receiver. I could actually see Woods coming in as a second rounder and easily competing for the number 2 wideout position.

One player that was left off that I think should be considered is Ryan Swope out of Texas A&M. He's been a productive receiver with Tannehill and Manziel as his quarterback and I hear he's a hard worker on the field. I think the Niners should also look at him too just as a guy to maybe put in the slot. His game is somewhat reminiscent of Jordy Nelson a bit and I think he would be a giid throwing target to Kaepernick.

All in all, I believe the best wide receiver San Francisco should target is Keenan Allen, in my opinion. He's big with great hands and can get a lot of yards after the catch. I doubt he will be around by the time the Niners pick but with all the draft pick they have I see a lot of trades being made. I'm a Cal fan so I'm actually pulling for this one so maybe the team goes and gets Allen to pair with Crabtree with that the team could possibly be set for years and gives Kaepernick more weapons on the offense.
Id like to see a third round pick used on Stedman Bailey. Hes about 5-10 but other than that hes the total package. Great route runner with great hands and speed to get deep. Hes also a powerful guy with enough wiggle and accelration to take short passes home. He played wide in college but I could see him being a major weapon in the slot as well. Also plays special teams.
Originally posted by Nick515:
I have different scenarios for a couple wide receivers for the draft.

Keenan Allen may possibly be gone by the time the Niners pick unless based on combine results and seeing how he's healed from his previous left knee injury. However if the Niners coaching staff see something they like in him then they could trade up to get him (with 14 draft picks they have enough to trade for). I could see him as a number 2 guy opposite Crabtree. Also the fact that he plays right in Berkeley and in the PAC-12 makes it better because I'm sure Harbaugh and company have been watching this guy and from watching Allen he is a big body receiver at 6'3" with an ability to get more yards after the catch. I think the Niners should definitely look at this guy and consider moving up for him or if he slips then don't hesitate to pull the trigger and grab him.

I'm a big Tavon Austin fan and don't really see the Niners having to move up to get him based on him being projected a late round pick but with a strong combine that he could possibly dominate then he could be gone early and possibly to Seattle. I watched some of his videos and his cut ability is probably the best of any college wide receiver plus he can be used in different positions as a kick returner or running back and with Ginn Jr. gone Austin could easily replace him. He'd also be a good slot guy coming in since the Niners really lack a true slot receiver. Austin to me has Wes Welker like potential at the slot. Just faster.

Justin Hunter looks like a good prospect and I'm sure he'll be one of the top receivers taken based on his height at 6'4" and his ability to get over smaller corners. I haven't watched much video on him but I could see him as a go to guy in the Niners offense especially as a number 2 receiver. Hopefully he has a good combine and his knee injury hasn't did any damage to his acceleration.

Robert Woods is probably the most interesting of these 3 because he is considered a 2nd round pick although he may go early in the 2nd round and the Niners don't pick till late 2nd round. I think Woods could be a steal in the 2nd round because last year he was a top 10 pick but an ankle injury and Matt Barkley's throw mostly which consisted of getting Marquis Lee the ball hurt his stock but I could see Woods as a steal. He's a little bit similar to Crabtree in terms of play but that could be the best thing for the team when it comes to wide receiver. I could actually see Woods coming in as a second rounder and easily competing for the number 2 wideout position.

One player that was left off that I think should be considered is Ryan Swope out of Texas A&M. He's been a productive receiver with Tannehill and Manziel as his quarterback and I hear he's a hard worker on the field. I think the Niners should also look at him too just as a guy to maybe put in the slot. His game is somewhat reminiscent of Jordy Nelson a bit and I think he would be a giid throwing target to Kaepernick.

All in all, I believe the best wide receiver San Francisco should target is Keenan Allen, in my opinion. He's big with great hands and can get a lot of yards after the catch. I doubt he will be around by the time the Niners pick but with all the draft pick they have I see a lot of trades being made. I'm a Cal fan so I'm actually pulling for this one so maybe the team goes and gets Allen to pair with Crabtree with that the team could possibly be set for years and gives Kaepernick more weapons on the offense.
will this be the year the niners finally draft a cal player??
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Watching LSU vs Clemson and DeAndre Hopkins looks like a beast and would love to see him in a 49er uniform if he comes out.
Share 49ersWebzone