There are 199 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

This guy is legit. He needs to get comfortable with the techinique but man hes stout fast and long. Pretty sick to see what hes going to do. I would love him here. No more school or discus training and i bet he grows in leaps and bounds.
This guy is legit. He needs to get comfortable with the techinique but man hes stout fast and long. Pretty sick to see what hes going to do. I would love him here. No more school or discus training and i bet he grows in leaps and bounds.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
too tall, will get blown off the line on run plays.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Too tall, hum, oh yeah I remember him.

Too Tall Jones was even taller. Jones was 6-9.

Pretty much. Boone proved that this year by being pushed around when he moved inside to guard.

Oh wait...
26 years old when the season starts. Pass
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaep will be 25 when the season starts and 26 in November. Kaep's only played in 10 games or so and looks this good. What if Hunt just rotates in and learns this year? The following year he comes in and gets 8 sacks. Hunt would be 27 by the start of his second year. Would 8 sacks be worth a 27 year old? 5 sacks? Or what about a guy that just helps the team D overall and collapses the pocket and we rack up 45 sacks as a team?

There is only 1 year between Kaep and him. Everyone said Kaep was too Raw as well. Kaep had to learn the toughest position. Hunt would only have to rush the QB at first anf then learn the D schemes.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaep will be 25 when the season starts and 26 in November. Kaep's only played in 10 games or so and looks this good. What if Hunt just rotates in and learns this year? The following year he comes in and gets 8 sacks. Hunt would be 27 by the start of his second year. Would 8 sacks be worth a 27 year old? 5 sacks? Or what about a guy that just helps the team D overall and collapses the pocket and we rack up 45 sacks as a team?

There is only 1 year between Kaep and him. Everyone said Kaep was too Raw as well. Kaep had to learn the toughest position. Hunt would only have to rush the QB at first anf then learn the D schemes.

Fair point. Are you confident that he would be a successful pass rusher as a rookie? As a situational guy, I would hope he could rush effectively inside and outside.
Originally posted by buck:

Too tall, hum, oh yeah I remember him.

Too Tall Jones was even taller. Jones was 6-9.
Thank you. You beat me to it. And, what do you do when you've got a 5'10" QB causing problems for you in your division? You try to contain him in the pocket and get tall to knock his passes down at the line of scrimmage. That's exactly what Too Tall Jones was all about with Fran Tarkenton.

if Niners did take hunt I would love to see him block a game winning field goal attempt in a meaningful game--could be a niche for him
Still wouldn't mind if we selected Hunt at 31. Some people on here want to bring up his inconsistencies, but forget that players in the range that we're selecting in have similar issues, especially at the d-line position. Guys like Jessie Williams, John Jenkins, and even Johnathan Hankins had stretches where they were invisible. Coaching can fix that. I didn't watch Hunt all season long, and I doubt any of you did, but I did see him against Texas A&M where he performed well against that formidable offensive line.

Loads of potential combined with a great coaching staff and surrounded by talent could bring the best out of him.
There's no doubt the guy's got enormous potential...but is that what you want in a #1 pick? I don't think so...you want a guy who has the talent to come in and start right away if needed. He's still very raw, by just about every account I've read...instead of taking a chance he'll develop at the speed of a meteor, I'd go after one of several bigs who can play anywhere on the DL. I'm talking about both Williams'...Jesse and Sylvester, Hankins (despite his slow 40 time), Jenkins, Floyd, Richardson. Few players are absolute sure things, but again, it's our #1 pick we're talking about here. I'd be very leery about a raw player who "might" reach some freakish potential at some point. To truly beef up the DL, I'd go with a more sure pick.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's no doubt the guy's got enormous potential...but is that what you want in a #1 pick? I don't think so...you want a guy who has the talent to come in and start right away if needed. He's still very raw, by just about every account I've read...instead of taking a chance he'll develop at the speed of a meteor, I'd go after one of several bigs who can play anywhere on the DL. I'm talking about both Williams'...Jesse and Sylvester, Hankins (despite his slow 40 time), Jenkins, Floyd, Richardson. Few players are absolute sure things, but again, it's our #1 pick we're talking about here. I'd be very leery about a raw player who "might" reach some freakish potential at some point. To truly beef up the DL, I'd go with a more sure pick.

But look at my post above yours. Our #1 pick in the first round is #31!! Like I mentioned, the range in talent is different at that selection. That means that guys like Floyd and Richardson will be gone. Guys like Hankins, Jenkins, and Jesse Williams have question marks as far as being conditioned to play soon.

Datone Jones is someone I would wish for but I think he's performed so well in the offseason that he might be out of our reach. We're not looking for a replacement, we're looking for quality depth for next season at the d-line position. If Hunt happens to be the selection, I'd be content with it because we won't be asking him to step in right away and he can learn from the best.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Kaepernick didn't just start playing football in 2009.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone