LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Had a great combine. Def helped himself out.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think the train was hopped on a couple of months ago and a lot of people (like me) jumped off after Mobile.

This, I was on the bandwagon but as I watched more and more of him, I'm not altogether sure he'll be able to be productive at the next level.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think the train was hopped on a couple of months ago and a lot of people (like me) jumped off after Mobile.

This, I was on the bandwagon but as I watched more and more of him, I'm not altogether sure he'll be able to be productive at the next level.

Guy is Raw but were looking for back up players not starters a good value pick imo
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Guy is Raw but were looking for back up players not starters a good value pick imo

Not in the 1st round. And yes, the 49ers are looking for people capable of being eventual starters, I just don't get that feeling with Hunt. Take away his dazzling physical ability, look at his actual football performance, and this guy doesn't get a 2nd look whatsoever. Inconsistency has been the biggest issue with him, motor running cold far too often, especially for a guy with his physical prowess. Might he turn out to be something special, possibly, but I'd rather look elsewhere, if not Datone Jones, Jenkins or Williams, then a safety or cornerback.

Not in the 1st round. And yes, the 49ers are looking for people capable of being eventual starters, I just don't get that feeling with Hunt. Take away his dazzling physical ability, look at his actual football performance, and this guy doesn't get a 2nd look whatsoever. Inconsistency has been the biggest issue with him, motor running cold far too often, especially for a guy with his physical prowess. Might he turn out to be something special, possibly, but I'd rather look elsewhere, if not Datone Jones, Jenkins or Williams, then a safety or cornerback.

Oh No he is more of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 1st pick should be a DL or DB imo

Oh No he is more of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 1st pick should be a DL or DB imo

I have gone over this in my head a few times and honestly....I dont think the right guy is here for us. I think we should address the position but not super early for the sake of it. I dont see that kid this year.
It's not like Hunt wasn't productive; he had 8 sacks this past year. I'm not sure where the idea came from that he's strictly a workout warrior. I guess it stems from his performance at the Senior Bowl?
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
It's not like Hunt wasn't productive; he had 8 sacks this past year. I'm not sure where the idea came from that he's strictly a workout warrior. I guess it stems from his performance at the Senior Bowl?

The biggest criticism is inconsistency, there were whole games when you didn't even know he was out on the field. He's up, he's down, he's up and then down again, just all over the place.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I have gone over this in my head a few times and honestly....I dont think the right guy is here for us. I think we should address the position but not super early for the sake of it. I dont see that kid this year.

I feel that Datone Jones falls more along the ideal of the abilities and skillset that a 3-4 DE that would eventually replace Justin Smith should provide.

I feel that Datone Jones falls more along the ideal of the abilities and skillset that a 3-4 DE that would eventually replace Justin Smith should provide.

I agree. However, given his Senior Bowl and Combine performances I now think he will be gone before we pick. He will appeal to both 4-3 and 3-4 teams . I hope I am wrong but I dont think so.

I agree. However, given his Senior Bowl and Combine performances I now think he will be gone before we pick. He will appeal to both 4-3 and 3-4 teams . I hope I am wrong but I dont think so.

Unless we trade up we do have 14 picks but I would only consider a trade up for Kenny Vaccaro
He has a late 2nd round Grade to me. Dude is 6'8 and bench pressed 38 REPS and he has a 280 lb frame, This guy has 3/4 DE written all over him, he just needs coaching and polish and he'll be a find, I wouldn't mind a 2nd rounder on this guy but a 1st is too high for him.
If he was taken in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round what do we care. It's means the Niners felt like they had to have him. He's probably a 2nd rounder and will continue to get a lot of buzz but pretty much if we want him, everyone is going to say 31st overall is way too early and he won't be there IMO by our 2nd round pick so we would have to trade.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
This guy is legit. He needs to get comfortable with the techinique but man hes stout fast and long. Pretty sick to see what hes going to do. I would love him here. No more school or discus training and i bet he grows in leaps and bounds.
Share 49ersWebzone