There are 158 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I've seen some crazy things in the draft after my nearly 40 years of following it and the most important thing I've learned is to never use phrases like "not a chance," or "there's no way" or "that's never going to happen." Especially when we're talking about prospects in January....there's just sooooooo much that can go wrong between now and draft weekend (bad tape, drug rumors/truth, unrevealed/unnoticed injuries, horrible combine performance/interviews, you name it) or right for that matter, that even the experts who do this for a living get it wrong more times than they care to admit.

You'll likely end up being right about this (and I agree that he'll probably shoot up the boards rather than fall down them), but there are actually plenty of chances that something crazy might happen to drop him....just saying.
Sort of like Crabtree's draft scenario?

Like that, or like V. Burfict who went from likely first rounder to UDFA in a matter of months, or like Warren Sapp who went from sure-fire top 3 pick in '95 to 12th overall because of unsubstantiated drug rumors. I also never thought in a million years Aaron Rodgers would slip to the 20's after we took Smith, or that Jake Locker would be a top 10 pick after the senior season he had. And that's just a few off-the-top-of-my-head "never could happen" things that ended up happening. There's at least 25-30 "no chance" things that actually do happen that leave me scratching my head every year. Never fails.

Very Very True.
A great Niners DL player also was a shot put guy: Michael Carter.
I've been looking at this kid all day. He's the new guy I would like to target and I think we would even have to trade up for him. Call me crazy but I've seen different mocks putting him in the 2nd but Kiper has him rated as the 5th DE and I think I saw him going to Atlanta. I guarantee after the combine he will shoot up the boards. He is a project but seems perfect for the 3/4 DE. Good pressure and his presence on special teams is a bonus.

I'm glad you like him Phoenix because I normally agree with your analysis.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I've been looking at this kid all day. He's the new guy I would like to target and I think we would even have to trade up for him. Call me crazy but I've seen different mocks putting him in the 2nd but Kiper has him rated as the 5th DE and I think I saw him going to Atlanta. I guarantee after the combine he will shoot up the boards. He is a project but seems perfect for the 3/4 DE. Good pressure and his presence on special teams is a bonus.

The fact that he was dominated in Mobile doesnt bother you? It does me. I wouldnt touch him in round 1 and would never trade up for him. I was high on him before that week but he just seems to raw to go after in the first.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM ]

I wouldn't trade up for him. He had a rough time at Mobile, I still think his potential and talent is through the roof, but the knock on him will be that he's 26 and still relatively raw. I don't see him being anything beyond an early 2nd round pick and possibly falling into the latter half of the 2nd round depending on how teams feel about being able to get him up to speed quickly.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

The fact that he was dominated in Mobile doesnt bother you? It does me. I wouldnt touch him in round 1 and would never trade up for him. I was high on him before that week but he just seems to raw to go after in the first.
I don't mind raw or a project. I think his combine will show a lot of tangibles that he has and the rest we can work on. He's a natural athlete, tons of upside, and a physical freak. We will see how he projects after the combine but I'm hoping on the train early.
I don't mind raw or a project. I think his combine will show a lot of tangibles that he has and the rest we can work on. He's a natural athlete, tons of upside, and a physical freak. We will see how he projects after the combine but I'm hoping on the train early.

I don't think I'd take him over Datone Jones if available. Jones is a guy I like the way I liked Kendall Reyes last year, he's slightly undersized but he has both pass rush and run stopping ability and looks to be a very good prospect to develop and take over for Justin in a couple seasons.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I wouldn't trade up for him. He had a rough time at Mobile, I still think his potential and talent is through the roof, but the knock on him will be that he's 26 and still relatively raw. I don't see him being anything beyond an early 2nd round pick and possibly falling into the latter half of the 2nd round depending on how teams feel about being able to get him up to speed quickly.

I think he goes mid 2nd to early 3rd.. I think his age and the time needed to develop his skills are going to work against him. A team will draft him based on measurables and the potential that he has. Just would be very surprised if a team took him in rd 1.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I think the train was hopped on a couple of months ago and a lot of people (like me) jumped off after Mobile.
i'm on board. dude looks good

• SaksV
  • Veteran
I've been a fan of his for a while now but after watching his performance in Mobile, I think we can trade up somewhere in the 2nd round to grab him...
Completely overwhelmed during Senior Bowl week. Way too thin and rangy to play the 34 DE and had little burst for a player hyped so much. At the age of 26, he is more of a third round prospect than first rounder. Very poor week.
^^^ agree with MD, was completely overwhelmed with the talent level at the senior bowl, he will get pushed around pretty easily in the NFL.
The problem with a guy his size is not enough bulk/strength to stuff the run...to play in Fangio's 3-4, he'd either have to put on some serious weight or lose a little to play OLB. That can be a difficult transition for a lot of guys who played DE in college. No slam on the guy, just pointing out he may have a problem going up against the monster DT's in the NFL.
This guy looks good at the combine, but I'm not sure he fits our scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone