There are 51 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

I like this player a lot, he's got very unique physical dimensions standing at 6'8" as a DE, reminds me somewhat of Calais Campbell, the DE for the Cardinals and just like Campbell, Hunt has made an impact blocking passes, blocking field goals, he's got tremendous athletic ability, very strong, has a background in power-lifting, very aggressive, hard-hitting player. I think having someone like this adds one more dimension to the team, one more weapon that can be utilized, a guy that is a mismatch for offenses....and can you imagine a guy this big bearing down on someone like.....Russell Wilson?

He's certainly very raw, he's only been playing football for about 5 years and his stock has slipped somewhat this year but he's shown a tremendous affinity for the game and will probably get drafted earlier than he rightfully should simply on potential but this guy would be a great developmental prospect as a 3-4 DE if he's given a season, season and a half to simply contribute on special teams, rotate in and out at DE here and there, and simply watch and learn from Justin Smith.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I'm looking forward to his timing on drills. He's supposed to be an athletic freak, he could potentially play outside linebacker if he runs in the 4.7 range and shows some good agility. I don't think he'll be agile enough to do it but it would be scary to see a 6'8" 280 guy at OLB in a 3-4. He's going to be fun to follow during this draft process because there will be so many differing opinions on him.

This is him against mostly Joeckel from Texas A&M in 2011, and overall does a good job of holding the point but he gets cut a lot when he tries to move laterally down the line. He's at RE in the 3 man front, #92.

Good things:
2 blocked kicks, he does a great job of getting skinny but the blocking is also horrible.
He's rarely pushed down field more than two yards, i only saw two times in that video where he was pushed 4-5 yards back.

Bad things:
He gets cut down a lot.
He doesn't keep his shoulders square to the line, he's often turning his shoulders which is one big reason he gets cut so easily.
When the play goes outside to the other side of the field he doesn't hustle to get there, overall he doesn't seem to be playing that hard in this game.

Anyone else see these things in that video?
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

This video he looks great as a pass rusher against a lesser team than A&M, but they also had a big lead which allowed the SMU defense to pin their ears back and go. At 0:57 you can see him drop into the flat in coverage of Pitt's H-back.
Sounds like a nice project for Tomsula.
Originally posted by DVDA:
I'm looking forward to his timing on drills. He's supposed to be an athletic freak, he could potentially play outside linebacker if he runs in the 4.7 range and shows some good agility. I don't think he'll be agile enough to do it but it would be scary to see a 6'8" 280 guy at OLB in a 3-4. He's going to be fun to follow during this draft process because there will be so many differing opinions on him.

This is him against mostly Joeckel from Texas A&M in 2011, and overall does a good job of holding the point but he gets cut a lot when he tries to move laterally down the line. He's at RE in the 3 man front, #92.

Good things:
2 blocked kicks, he does a great job of getting skinny but the blocking is also horrible.
He's rarely pushed down field more than two yards, i only saw two times in that video where he was pushed 4-5 yards back.

Bad things:
He gets cut down a lot.
He doesn't keep his shoulders square to the line, he's often turning his shoulders which is one big reason he gets cut so easily.
When the play goes outside to the other side of the field he doesn't hustle to get there, overall he doesn't seem to be playing that hard in this game.

Anyone else see these things in that video?
The lack of pursuit is the thing that bothers me most about the 5 technique lineman in this years draft with the exception of Sheldon Richardson.
Richardson, however, gives ground against double teams much easier than this guy.
From an ESPN article today.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft/id/8810493/2013-nfl-draft-de-margus-hunt-set-make-move

SMU DE Margus Hunt (Grade: 60) Film study of the Fresno State offensive line leading into the Mustangs' date with Fresno State in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl led me to believe Hunt (6-foot-8⅛, 272 pounds) was poised for a big game, and he didn't disappoint.

Hunt had two sacks and harassed Bulldogs QB Derek Carr throughout SMU's 43-10 win, showing good versatility in the process. His initial quickness isn't elite, but on his two sacks, Hunt showed the ability to rip under the offensive tackle, bend back inside and deliver the big hit on the passer.

Once he established the edge, Hunt used an outside-in move to force a fumble in the backfield on a delayed run. There's also a lot to like about his pad level and hand use when he rushes between the tackles. Finally, Hunt showed above-average effort and upper-body strength fighting through multiple blocks to affect Carr.

Hunt, who hails from Estonia and is a former world junior gold medalist in the shot put and discus, could see his midround grade improve after a strong senior season, and that momentum could snowball if he tests as well as expected in pre-draft workouts. NFL comparison: San Francisco 49ers DE Justin Smith

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
From an ESPN article today.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft/id/8810493/2013-nfl-draft-de-margus-hunt-set-make-move

SMU DE Margus Hunt (Grade: 60) Film study of the Fresno State offensive line leading into the Mustangs' date with Fresno State in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl led me to believe Hunt (6-foot-8⅛, 272 pounds) was poised for a big game, and he didn't disappoint.

Hunt had two sacks and harassed Bulldogs QB Derek Carr throughout SMU's 43-10 win, showing good versatility in the process. His initial quickness isn't elite, but on his two sacks, Hunt showed the ability to rip under the offensive tackle, bend back inside and deliver the big hit on the passer.

Once he established the edge, Hunt used an outside-in move to force a fumble in the backfield on a delayed run. There's also a lot to like about his pad level and hand use when he rushes between the tackles. Finally, Hunt showed above-average effort and upper-body strength fighting through multiple blocks to affect Carr.

Hunt, who hails from Estonia and is a former world junior gold medalist in the shot put and discus, could see his midround grade improve after a strong senior season, and that momentum could snowball if he tests as well as expected in pre-draft workouts. NFL comparison: San Francisco 49ers DE Justin Smith

heh, I don't know about that comparison. But I'm a fan of Hunt, I like what I've seen from him. Hunt has some freakish athleticism to him, he is the type of guy that probably could have been a SF in the NBA if he picked basketball instead.
Boo!
Originally posted by eonblue:
Boo!

Our 1st round pick... Don't boo the man
I know it's way too early for these comparisons, and Hunt has a lot to learn, but I see a lot of J.J. Watt in his game. The size, power, speed and high-motor are all there to be a dominant 5-technique and even though he will be a 26 year-old rookie, it's not a stretch to think you could get 7-8 great years out of him (putting him at age 33/34, which is essentially where Justin Smith is currently at and playing at a dominating level).
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I know it's way too early for these comparisons, and Hunt has a lot to learn, but I see a lot of J.J. Watt in his game. The size, power, speed and high-motor are all there to be a dominant 5-technique and even though he will be a 26 year-old rookie, it's not a stretch to think you could get 7-8 great years out of him (putting him at age 33/34, which is essentially where Justin Smith is currently at and playing at a dominating level).

I'm not denying what your saying but Texas is getting work out of Watts at 23. Hunt is going to have bulk up and learn the system. Essentially your losing 4 years of peak potential. Sperry i think this would be a horrible first pick for us. Maybe not for 4-3 front but it b just screams bust for the 3-4. Baalke isn't going to waste our first pick on a very wiiiiiiiiide shot.
Originally posted by eonblue:

I'm not denying what your saying but Texas is getting work out of Watts at 23. Hunt is going to have bulk up and learn the system. Essentially your losing 4 years of peak potential. Sperry i think this would be a horrible first pick for us. Maybe not for 4-3 front but it b just screams bust for the 3-4. Baalke isn't going to waste our first pick on a very wiiiiiiiiide shot.

I personally don't think he'll have to bulk up that much, since he's about the same weight as Justin and is probably as strong. I also don't think he (or any other young DE) would have to start next year or even the year after, as Justin and Ray probably still have a few more good years left in them. I see him as a solid rotational guy in the next few years, then taking over at age 28. That's just about peak age for a 3-4 d-lineman (and about the age when we signed Justin), and he could easily give us another 4-6 good years after that.

I see him as less of a risk than some of the younger guys actually, since he's more mature. Any player can be a bust, so yes, that's a possibility. Just not sure specifically why you see him with more bust potential than others.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM ]
I like him alot in the second. I have us taking him in my early mock. I dont know about taking him in the first if he jumps up on the boards bigtime. I still think NT will be the biggest need in the first.
I personally don't think he'll have to bulk up that much, since he's about the same weight as Justin and is probably as strong. I also don't think he (or any other young DE) would have to start next year or even the year after, as Justin and Ray probably still have a few more good years left in them. I see him as a solid rotational guy in the next few years, then taking over at age 28. That's just about peak age for a 3-4 d-lineman (and about the age when we signed Justin), and he could easily give us another 4-6 good years after that.

I see him as less of a risk than some of the younger guys actually, since he's more mature. Any player can be a bust, so yes, that's a possibility. Just not sure specifically why you see him with more bust potential than others.

I dont see him as anymore of a bust than the next. Actually I thinks hes a solid pick. My point is like you said 28 and he might be able to start. Watt and von miler are 24. Im sorrybut I want value out of first round pick. Essentially what im saying is he loses value because we lose those 4 years of starter playing time. And he has to be a starter at 28 or hes a bust. Don't get me wrong I love this guy. He defines beast and I would love to see us draft.just not in the first two rounds.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM ]
His age may be the only thing that allows him to fall to us. If he was 23, he'd be a top 15 pick.