LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If available in the 2nd we need to pull the trigger. Last year I wanted to take Derek Wolfe who IMO was similar to our Justin Smith but not as high of a motor as Smith not many do anyway. This year I feel the same about Hunt, I hope we don't pass him up.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If available in the 2nd we need to pull the trigger. Last year I wanted to take Derek Wolfe who IMO was similar to our Justin Smith but not as high of a motor as Smith not many do anyway. This year I feel the same about Hunt, I hope we don't pass him up.

Not a chance he'll be around in the late 2nd with his measurables. Its just like last year, the 49ers had their shot at Wolfe and Reyes with their late 1st round pick. This guy's measurables will have him drafted earlier than he rightfully should so if the 49ers like him, they may need to reach just a little bit. That is assuming he doesn't develop a crazy cloud of momentum in the offseason and moves into the mid-1st round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not a chance he'll be around in the late 2nd with his measurables. Its just like last year, the 49ers had their shot at Wolfe and Reyes with their late 1st round pick. This guy's measurables will have him drafted earlier than he rightfully should so if the 49ers like him, they may need to reach just a little bit. That is assuming he doesn't develop a crazy cloud of momentum in the offseason and moves into the mid-1st round.

Lots of firepower for us to move up into the early-mid second if hes there.
  • titan
  • Veteran
This guy might be top 10 with the JJ Watt hype!
  • buck
  • Veteran

Let's assume that your are correct. Hunt will not be there when it comes time for our second round pick.

What are our options and what should we do?

One option is too trade up, but that option can only be exercised if there is a willing trading partner.

The second option is just forget about drafting him, and take someone else.

The last option, and most controversial, is to draft him in the first.

I am ambivalent about what we should do.

If we has him rated as a top ten pick in the second round, and Floyd is gone, I would pull the trigger.

What do you guys think?
[ Edited by buck on Jan 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by buck:

Let's assume that your are correct. Hunt will not be there when it comes time for our second round pick.

What are our options and what should we do?

One option is too trade up, but that option can only be exercised if there is a willing trading partner.

The second option is just forget about drafting him, and take someone else.

The last option, and most controversial, is to draft him in the first.

I am ambivalent about what we should do.

If we has him rated as a top ten pick in the second round, and Floyd is gone, I would pull the trigger.

What do you guys think?

If hes not around, then we target Baker Steinkuhler DT from Nebraska. Hes more Adam Carriker than Just Smith IMO.
Want
  • titan
  • Veteran
MAGNUS!!!!He should be the 1st pick of the Draft just cause of his name!
Its Margus. I bet people called him Margie. And then he threw a 10pd disk at them.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Its Margus. I bet people called him Margie. And then he threw a 10pd disk at them.

Margus! Ooh....don't draft him then!

I've seen some crazy things in the draft after my nearly 40 years of following it and the most important thing I've learned is to never use phrases like "not a chance," or "there's no way" or "that's never going to happen." Especially when we're talking about prospects in January....there's just sooooooo much that can go wrong between now and draft weekend (bad tape, drug rumors/truth, unrevealed/unnoticed injuries, horrible combine performance/interviews, you name it) or right for that matter, that even the experts who do this for a living get it wrong more times than they care to admit.

You'll likely end up being right about this (and I agree that he'll probably shoot up the boards rather than fall down them), but there are actually plenty of chances that something crazy might happen to drop him....just saying.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I've seen some crazy things in the draft after my nearly 40 years of following it and the most important thing I've learned is to never use phrases like "not a chance," or "there's no way" or "that's never going to happen." Especially when we're talking about prospects in January....there's just sooooooo much that can go wrong between now and draft weekend (bad tape, drug rumors/truth, unrevealed/unnoticed injuries, horrible combine performance/interviews, you name it) or right for that matter, that even the experts who do this for a living get it wrong more times than they care to admit.

You'll likely end up being right about this (and I agree that he'll probably shoot up the boards rather than fall down them), but there are actually plenty of chances that something crazy might happen to drop him....just saying.
Sort of like Crabtree's draft scenario?
Niners should use their MANY picks and move up in draft.

Rd 1 Jessie Williams
Rd 1A Margus Hunt
Rd 3 Chase Thomas

Surrender two 3rd rd picks and a couple of later rd picks and go get defensive help. Wishful thinking I know but that would really bolster our DL and give us another pass rusher at OLB.
Originally posted by titan:
Margus! Ooh....don't draft him then!

Lol. If he had any seld respect he woukd change his name to something not so soft like buckshot or dragonslayer. The nfl has no room for a man with a name like margus.

On a serious note do scouts really base their deacions at least partially on persobality tests and iq test?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Sort of like Crabtree's draft scenario?

Like that, or like V. Burfict who went from likely first rounder to UDFA in a matter of months, or like Warren Sapp who went from sure-fire top 3 pick in '95 to 12th overall because of unsubstantiated drug rumors. I also never thought in a million years Aaron Rodgers would slip to the 20's after we took Smith, or that Jake Locker would be a top 10 pick after the senior season he had. And that's just a few off-the-top-of-my-head "never could happen" things that ended up happening. There's at least 25-30 "no chance" things that actually do happen that leave me scratching my head every year. Never fails.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone