There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers power player in 2013 draft

GM of the weekend (tie): Trent Baalke, San Francisco; Buddy Nix, Buffalo. I detailed Baalke's multiple moves to set up the Niners as a power player in the 2013 draft. And getting LaMichael James late in the second round gives Jim Harbaugh the home-run back he hasn't had in an offense that needs a threat like that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb/1.html

From Peter King's article about the draft, he also has a good read on the moves Baalke made in it.

With that being said, the extra picks will allow quite a bit of latitude in moving around the board or even accumulating more picks. I am pretty sure we will be picking in the bottom of each round so this will be quite valuable. Too early to project next year but there appear to be quite a few QB's, WR and NT in the first round next year. I will be watching the NT's and how their value develops over the next 12 months.

Johnathon Hankins, NT, Ohio State
Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia
I recall that there will also be a quite a few RB next year.
Take BPA at #32
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I recall that there will also be a quite a few RB next year.

I agree. I'm pretty sure they will need an every-down replacement for Gore after this year and I can them going after a RB.
DE-NT-WR
Very nice!

Btw, I see us only getting 1 comp pick (maybe for Snyder) as the Morgan signing might be off-set by Manningham/Josh Johnson (not sure if/how Moss will factor in either).

Round 1 -
Round 2 -
Round 3 -
Round 3 -
Round 4 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 - (comp???)
Round 6 -
Round 6 -
Round 7 -
Round 7 -
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Very nice!

Btw, I see us only getting 1 comp pick (maybe for Snyder) as the Morgan signing might be off-set by Manningham/Josh Johnson (not sure if/how Moss will factor in either).

Round 1 -
Round 2 -
Round 3 -
Round 3 -
Round 4 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 - (comp???)
Round 6 -
Round 6 -
Round 7 -
Round 7 -

Only guys who will count in this are.

Costanzo, Morgan and Snyder for us as losses.

Johnson, Manningham are the only 2 against us. Guys like Moss(Out of football in 2011), Cox(same as Moss), Jacobs(Cut), Cartwright(Vet min deal) don't count against us.

Also Reggie Smith and Chilo Rachal(Though haven't seen contract terms) probably don't count to help us due to one year minimum deals.

So I say a 5th is reasonable, with Johnson crossing out Costanzo and Manningham crossing out Morgan, and leaving Snyder to net us a pick.
^^ Makes sense, AB.
Very nice!

Round 1 -
Round 2 -
Round 3 -
Round 3 -
Round 4 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 - (comp???)
Round 6 -
Round 6 -
Round 7 -
Round 7 -

What about when Spencer signs with another team?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Very nice!

Round 1 -
Round 2 -
Round 3 -
Round 3 -
Round 4 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 -
Round 5 - (comp???)
Round 6 -
Round 6 -
Round 7 -
Round 7 -

He signed with the Raiders
Originally posted by lamontb:

He was cut so he won't count.
I forgot about the comps ... wow. Snyder will probably start for them too, I think that factors into what round the comp is. No way we need 13 players, our practice squad and backups are pretty strong.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Johnson, Manningham are the only 2 against us. Guys like Moss(Out of football in 2011), Cox(same as Moss), Jacobs(Cut), Cartwright(Vet min deal) don't count against us.

Also Reggie Smith and Chilo Rachal(Though haven't seen contract terms) probably don't count to help us due to one year minimum deals.

So I say a 5th is reasonable, with Johnson crossing out Costanzo and Manningham crossing out Morgan, and leaving Snyder to net us a pick.
AB, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't playing time count as well as salary so that if Smith and Rachal see some starting playing time that would help us get more in the way of comp picks? Wishful thinking on my part.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

AB, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't playing time count as well as salary so that if Smith and Rachal see some starting playing time that would help us get more in the way of comp picks? Wishful thinking on my part.

yes, playing time (games started) , salary and performance(post season accolades) all count. so if Johnson doesn't play he likely won't count against us.
I'm looking for a top stud safety/cornerback along with a young stud DL. Other than that, I dont see any positions of need for the near future
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM ]