LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

49ers power player in 2013 draft

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Niners really have to ask themselves whether their focus is quality or quantity when looking at these 11 plus picks. Most of these guys will be In backup roles, as the bulk of the picks are 5th rounders and later. They may want to package a number of these guys to ensure they get the player they want.

Fans are excited about the extra picks accumulated, but teams risk losing a player they really like by moving down, and the net result may be a loss. If it was true, according to some reports, that the team was upset with the Ravens selection of Gino Gradkowski in the 4th round of this draft (the team was looking at him heavily predraft), then the extra selections are not as sweet.

For me, I can see the merit of both positions: accumulating a number of quality backups in case they are not able to re-sign starters makes some sense. However, windows tend to close quickly on teams who are contenders, so maybe the best option is to be more aggressive in getting quality starters at key positions of need by sacrificing a number of draft selections.

This is true to an extent, I use to get so upset when Bellicheck would amass all these extra picks and not trade up and get a impact player that could instantly cure at least one of the Patriots weaknesses. I hope we don't get into doing the same thing, amassing picks only to trade back year after year, and not get a player who can put us over the top without a doubt. On the flip side if you feel like you already have a Super Bowl quality product, or if you feel you don't see any players that you can't live without, then by all means save the picks until you find that guy. In the end I'm all for moving up if it makes sense (Cowboys-Claiborne), but moving up for offensive line is a no-no in my book. Only because I played at a collegiate and semi-pro level and I know for a fact you can take a guy with the size and smarts then teach him the techniques to be successful.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
This is true to an extent, I use to get so upset when Bellicheck would amass all these extra picks and not trade up and get a impact player that could instantly cure at least one of the Patriots weaknesses. I hope we don't get into doing the same thing, amassing picks only to trade back year after year, and not get a player who can put us over the top without a doubt. On the flip side if you feel like you already have a Super Bowl quality product, or if you feel you don't see any players that you can't live without, then by all means save the picks until you find that guy. In the end I'm all for moving up if it makes sense (Cowboys-Claiborne), but moving up for offensive line is a no-no in my book. Only because I played at a collegiate and semi-pro level and I know for a fact you can take a guy with the size and smarts then teach him the techniques to be successful.

On the flip side, as a former player on the field, you have seen the holes the team has more than guys from the booth or TV. My premise is that the Niners have few holes to fill, but at RG, they lost their first and second stringers to free agency, and have a gigantic question mark there. The team has already stated that it is open competition at this spot between four guys who have never played the position before: Boone, Kilgore, Looney (played LG at WFU), Person. Right guard by committee is a shaky proposition, compared to simply identifying the best draftee or free agent in the market and being aggressive. In the end, do you really need that third rounder, and is he going to make a substantial difference. Difference makers are key for this team to get over the top. Why not plug in a guy who has been the best right guard to come out in a decade, and already knows the system?

The Steelers have all but given DeCastro the starting gig, resolving the biggest issue for their team entering the season. I wish the team would have done the same.
Assuming we pick 32nd: Next years 1, 2 and the Panthers 3 we got plus maybe one of the 6 rounders could get us to about the 15-20 range in the first round.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

On the flip side, as a former player on the field, you have seen the holes the team has more than guys from the booth or TV. My premise is that the Niners have few holes to fill, but at RG, they lost their first and second stringers to free agency, and have a gigantic question mark there. The team has already stated that it is open competition at this spot between four guys who have never played the position before: Boone, Kilgore, Looney (played LG at WFU), Person. Right guard by committee is a shaky proposition, compared to simply identifying the best draftee or free agent in the market and being aggressive. In the end, do you really need that third rounder, and is he going to make a substantial difference. Difference makers are key for this team to get over the top. Why not plug in a guy who has been the best right guard to come out in a decade, and already knows the system?

The Steelers have all but given DeCastro the starting gig, resolving the biggest issue for their team entering the season. I wish the team would have done the same.
I can't argue that point MD, Decastro is going to be a quality/possible pro bowl guard I'm sure, but I think one of our four guys will at bare min be a respectable starter for us.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Assuming we pick 32nd: Next years 1, 2 and the Panthers 3 we got plus maybe one of the 6 rounders could get us to about the 15-20 range in the first round.

I wouldnt use 3-4 picks to move up because we still need help at a few positions - NT, DE, WR, FS/SS.
Originally posted by jreff22:

I wouldnt use 3-4 picks to move up because we still need help at a few positions - NT, DE, WR, FS/SS.

I don't think it will take 3 extra picks anymore, Atlanta was just plain stupid IMO. If we were to move from 28-32 range to around 15-20 range it shouldn't cost more than a 2nd and 4th plus the 1st. I can't see Baalke trading a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 6th to move up unless it's an all star type player.

But I agree with Justin, more needs, better stay at our spots, unless someone does fall and it's a reasonable price tag.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I don't think it will take 3 extra picks anymore, Atlanta was just plain stupid IMO. If we were to move from 28-32 range to around 15-20 range it shouldn't cost more than a 2nd and 4th plus the 1st. I can't see Baalke trading a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 6th to move up unless it's an all star type player.

But I agree with Justin, more needs, better stay at our spots, unless someone does fall and it's a reasonable price tag.

Not so sure the Atlanta trade was bad....think about this Cle could of had both Jones and Richardson if they stayed put. Atl has drafted better and Cle still does not have a decent WR.
Not so sure the Atlanta trade was bad....think about this Cle could of had both Jones and Richardson if they stayed put. Atl has drafted better and Cle still does not have a decent WR.

Trades down only work out if the added selections you receive become players that make a difference. It was a lot to give up, but Julio Jones is a pretty good player and he is probably going to be even better in 2013. Difference-makers are hard to find.

Think the Niners would like to revisit the Vince Wilfork draft of 2004, and have him on the roster, rather than Woods in a tradedown, and the other compensation given?
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM ]

It's an option to consider I think and looking at next year the draft just seems like it has more players in the first round at a position of need. Also, there could be up to 5 QB's taken in the first round so someone is going to get pushed down the board. Still a long way off.
This +

I hope Jimmy Baalke can learn from the mistakes that Bellicheck and company have made. They have missed on quit a few good players. This whole thing reminds me of what Walsh did once the dynasty was established.

My hope is that we get 1-3 1st year starters/solid depth, 1-3 realistic prospects for future years, Then let Jimmy Baalke get us some more 2nd and 3rd rounders the 2014 draft.

The dynasty will last a long time and hopefully won't self distruct because of stupid gambling issues.
[ Edited by juycho on May 20, 2012 at 5:56 AM ]

Originally posted by juycho:
This +

I hope Jimmy Baalke can learn from the mistakes that Bellicheck and company have made. They have missed on quit a few good players. This whole thing reminds me of what Walsh did once the dynasty was established.

My hope is that we get 1-3 1st year starters/solid depth, 1-3 realistic prospects for future years, Then let Jimmy Baalke get us some more 2nd and 3rd rounders the 2014 draft.

The dynasty will last a long time and hopefully won't self distruct because of stupid gambling issues.

Yeah, I think Belicheck use to dominate drafts now he seems to be missing a lot and has lost his touch. Maybe he's gotten too big of an ego. I don't mind trading down and picking up extra picks if you think a player will still be there but I wouldn't do it every round like the Patriots seem to try. Maybe use that technique once, maybe twice in the draft but I'd stick to mid to late rounds though. Not worth gambling in rounds 1, 2 and 3 unless you can get a round higher the next year. I was fine with what we did this year but like I said don't get too crazy and stick to dropping 5-10 or whatever picks... not 20-30+.
As for the draft like I said earlier I expect us to use these picks to move up in rounds from hopefully late in the round to early to mid. We don't need 11 (probably end up with 12) picks. However, we do need a good deal of depth to keep reloading for the future. Possibly NT, DE, FS, SS, ILB, WR, etc. Can't let down.... will be fun with 1, 2, 3 and 3... need to hit on those. Then we have a 4 and the 2 5s... maybe we use one of the 5ths to trade up in round 4 or 5. We could use the extra 6 and extra 7 to move up in each of those rounds otherwise they are pretty much good for extras in deals. Nobody wants to trade 3-4 6s/7s for a single 4/5. You would think bad teams that just need players would do that but I guess not.

With that being said don't be surprised if competition crazy Harbaugh/Baalke just use all 12 and see where the cards lie after the pre season. Might end up cutting good prospects though. Side note: I would not trade 1, 2, 3, 3 to move up from say late 1st to 10-15ish. We will see if we have one glaring weakness next year but I think the team is overall good enough we aren't one spot away. We need depth for the future. Also, we aren't the Pats from a few years ago with a say 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds... then I would probably trade up to high 1st round but with us we only have an extra 3 and the extra 5, 6 and 7 won't do much. We aren't that ahead....
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM ]
I think we can walk out of next years draft with 8 players added to the team. 2-3 Early impact players are the hope, with the rest being "contributors", role players, and a developmental person -- maybe two.

We will need to find successors for Justin Smith, Sopoaga, Goldson (if he goes), Randy Moss, possibly Donte Whitner, and maybe Frank Gore (although I think they do like the RB situation with the youngsters Hunter, LMJ, and then Hampton developing). And then we will need replacements probably for Delanie Walker, Parys Haralson, and Larry Grant.

Now, obviously current player development among young guys/PS players and then off-season free agent acquisitions will dictate what holes are left when we get to the draft, but I think we are in a terrific position to maintain our strength overall as a team.

---------------------------------------

Snap-shot of some successor or replacement development:

For C Goodwin - Kilgore, Slowey, Beeler
For RB Gore - Hunter, Hampton
For TE Walker - Reuland, Celek
For WR position in general - Jenkins, Owusu, Palmer
For OLB position - Fleming (IR), Johnson, Kourtnei Brown, Wilhoite
For CB position - Culliver, Nelms, Holcomb

Some areas weaker than others, but like I said, we won't fully rely 100% on this. We have development, FA, and the draft each year to fill our slots, and we're in pretty good shape.
I have potential needs for next year's draft as:

NT - Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francois are free agents. Look for us to re-sign at least one of them. Not sure Ian Williams could start.

C - Goodwin could be replaced after this year. Daniel Kilgore could be the center of the future if he doesn't win the RG job this year. We have Jason Slowey/Chase Beeler for depth. Maybe draft one high if Kilgore is the RG and Goodwin doesn't do well this year.

WR - Kyle Williams, Ginn and Moss could be gone (Ginn/Moss would be FA's) leaving Manningham, Crabtree and Jenkins (maybe Chris Owusu)

FS - Will Goldson re-sign and are they comfortable with Spillman/Trenton Robinson

Depth:
Backup SS (Colin Jones is behind Whitner)
ILB (Only if we lose Larry Grant and/or Tavares Gooden to FA)
DE
2nd TE(D.Walker is a FA)
CB
Share 49ersWebzone