There are 135 users in the forums

I changed my mind on drafting OL in round 1 as DeCastro was falling.

I openly admit i mocked people wanting to take a guard with the first round pick. in my mind De Castro was a top 15 pick, and did not want to give up a bounty to acquire his rights. I thought Cordy Glenn was a great G/T prospect that the niners also would have to trade up to pick 25 to get but I was not willing to do that before the draft.

In tonights draft as DeCastro was falling due to a run on CB's, then DT's, the DE's De Castro all of a sudden became a value play. Around pick 23 I was screaming trade up, you can give a a third round pick and pick 30 to move up and get the #1 grade guard in the draft. I switched gears, I felt the Niners had a chance to get a plug in starter with future pro bowls. If they drafted Guard in round 1, WR would be round 2.

Well as usual I was wrong, never in a million years would I have predicted AJ Jenkins at 30.

My prediction for day 2 is Dwayne Allen TE from Clemson, still a TE fan for the niners.
Well I thought too if DeCastro fell the Niners were going to go and get him.

Then I thought Fleener is right there......GET HIM.

Then they picked AJ Jenkins and shocked us all. Looking at him on film, the guy is VERY VERY smooth running routes. He can run all of the routes in the tree and looks very good on film. I'm reserving judgement to the Master Draft Sensei Baalke. The guy knows what he's doing. I think he also suggested that Jenkins played hurt which shows character, guts and he still performed.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

Then they picked AJ Jenkins and shocked us all. Looking at him on film, the guy is VERY VERY smooth running routes. He can run all of the routes in the tree and looks very good on film. I'm reserving judgement to the Master Draft Sensei Baalke. The guy knows what he's doing. I think he also suggested that Jenkins played hurt which shows character, guts and he still performed.
I definitely liked the quickness I saw from him in and out of his breaks. The only thing I didn't like is that he struggled to break tackles. He may improve in this area as he gets a little stronger.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I openly admit i mocked people wanting to take a guard with the first round pick. in my mind De Castro was a top 15 pick, and did not want to give up a bounty to acquire his rights. I thought Cordy Glenn was a great G/T prospect that the niners also would have to trade up to pick 25 to get but I was not willing to do that before the draft.

In tonights draft as DeCastro was falling due to a run on CB's, then DT's, the DE's De Castro all of a sudden became a value play. Around pick 23 I was screaming trade up, you can give a a third round pick and pick 30 to move up and get the #1 grade guard in the draft. I switched gears, I felt the Niners had a chance to get a plug in starter with future pro bowls. If they drafted Guard in round 1, WR would be round 2.

Well as usual I was wrong, never in a million years would I have predicted AJ Jenkins at 30.

My prediction for day 2 is Dwayne Allen TE from Clemson, still a TE fan for the niners.

I'm a TE fan but I like Egnew in the fourth. I still think OL needs to be addressed as soon as possible, it's the closest thing we have to a need right now.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

I definitely liked the quickness I saw from him in and out of his breaks. The only thing I didn't like is that he struggled to break tackles. He may improve in this area as he gets a little stronger.

I am warming up to the Jenkins pick. Reflecting on the draft where the Niners got an A+ for Crabtree and the Steelers reached for Mike Wallace humbles us all. I also reflect on the Aldon Smith moment last year, and realize that we are all just wanna be arm chair GM's.
According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasn't exactly been a camp sensation."

DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football/
Originally posted by oldman9er:
According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasn't exactly been a camp sensation."

DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

Ouch! The draft is such a crap shoot that it's always risky to pay a lot to move up...glad Baalke is in charge of that and not the zone! LOL!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Ouch! The draft is such a crap shoot that it's always risky to pay a lot to move up...glad Baalke is in charge of that and not the zone! LOL!

So from one rotoworld article before any regular season games you are predicting

1. DeCastro was overhyped and was not a good draft pick in round 1.
2. AJ Jenkins was underhyped and was a good draft pick in round 1.

I still stand by when a head coach needs to come to a draft picks side and support the pick by the GM, that is not a good thing.
So from one rotoworld article before any regular season games you are predicting

I still stand by when a head coach needs to come to a draft picks side and support the pick by the GM, that is not a good thing.

Relax. No one here is saying that DeCastro sucks or won't get better.. or that AJJ > DDC... just because of one article.

dude, a pre-season hame hasn't even been played yet in his rookie year. Talk about premature judgement....

I was 0-2.

When I saw DeCastro falling, I was sure we'd move up. NOT!
Then I was out in the cold on the 2nd pick and the rest of the draft.
We had the luxury of not really having a great need when we picked in the first round.

- We could've drafted a WR, but any WR we drafted would not likely beat out our four starting WRs.
- We could've drafted a G, but we already had a few up-and-coming linemen, and G is something we could shore up in any round of the draft.
- We could've drafted a DB, but our starting secondary was already pretty set.
- We could've drafted a DE/DT, but our defensive line is amongst the tops in the league.

I honestly wasn't worried about who we drafted in the first round. I was more curious about how Baalke would draft, knowing that he already had a young roster that could be a playoff caliber team for the next 2-3 years.

I still stand by saying ouch! How you read all that into the conversation is quite amazing! We traded up for Jerry Rice and hit a winner, but others have traded up and totally bombed...that was my point. Have no idea what will happen to DeCastro...but I wish him well.
I thought the team would try to add a playmaker, and I was hoping it would be Fleener, who's combination of size and speed looked like a great threat to me. I was surprized, at first, at the selection of Jenkins.

Despite all the hype on this board about him, I wasn't sold on DeCastro after his performance at the combine. RG is not a "skill" position, but more of one that requires certain minimums of physical strength and speed to go with the techniques. He was ok, but didn't impress with his showing at the combine.

It will be interesting to see how DeCastro and Fleener do in the future. I still believe that Fleener might have been a great pick at #30. He's got size and great speed, and could even play some WR. Him and VD and Walker could have posed some real headaches for opposing defenses. IMHO.

PS: At least I was right about the team adding playmakers.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM ]
i thought we were going to draft Decastro and convert him to TE... darn shows what i know
Share 49ersWebzone