LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

andre branch of clemson could be a baalke darkhorse...he could add to the pass rush and provide depth at the olb position
Originally posted by strickac:
Personally, I hope he likes Vinny Curry or Quick. Based on mocks, they seem like solid value picks. Curry reminds me a little of Dumervil ands better suited for OLB anyway.

I like Curry too. He might be available in the 2nd round. Just another reason to trade back and accumulate picks where value is high. Kendall Reyes could be another 2nd round gem.
Originally posted by Johnster:
I totally agree that the 49ers 3rd down efficiency sucked (ranked 30th in league) but blaming that on a lack of big RB is like blaming the lack of a 1000 yd receiver on the receivers (see Alex Smith etc.). The problem on our third efficiency was simply a lack of Oline play. Not all third downs are 3 and inches. Most are 3rd and 2-5 yards. A smaller back that can squeeze through small openings or catch a pass in the flat for 1st down converts more 3rd downs than a big hog RB. That is why the Ravens with Ray Rice are among the best in 3rd down conversion...

Dude, Ray Rice is much more of power back than James EVER was. He used to carry the ball 50 times a game at Rutgers. Turbin and Martin are more like Rice ( 200+ lbs ), James just isnt that guy. The line is a huge factor, but we were so bad at short yardage situations last year. In 2011 the Niners were 17 of 35 on third-and-short last year ( 2 yards or less ). If Dixon wasn't auditioning for Dancing with the Stars, we would have won the NFC Champ game. Why do you think the 9ers got Jacobs in the offseason? He's only here for 1 year, its makes zero sense to bring in a 185 lb RB and have two such guys on the roster next year. There is just no way you are going to convince me that James brings a different dimension than what we already have with Hunter. Ive seen too many James games and know exactly what kind of runner he is. We need a big back that can hammer it in there. James just is not that guy in any way shape or form.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I disagree with pretty much this entire post. Fleener would have a significant role ~60 catches, and at ~12 yd/catch thats 720yds. A back-up running back in our system would probably notch 4.5yd/carry and 100 carries for ~450 yds.

The only major positive I see in drafting a RB early is we have our replacement in Gore in the wings. But honestly, in today's NFL, 2 elite TEs are more valuable that an elite RB.

If you believe that Fleener is going to have 60+ catches this year with the 49ers, I can see how you would come to that conclusion.
By definition, this is a RB centered offense FIRST and a TE centered offense, way, way, second. I like Fleener but the only way he matters more during the season than a backup RB (who touches the ball 10+ times a game) is if Vernon Davis loses his job to him (not going to happen). At best, Fleener catches 25 balls this year if VD is healthy and 40 all season if VD gets hurt (a backup RB gets 40 touches in 3-4 games).

I agree its more important to run the ball in this O, but James is not the answer. If you were pumping up Doug Martin right now in the 1st, Id have nothing to say. Why not grab Turbin in the 3rd? In the 1st I want either a mauling RG or Fleener. If you go back and check the stats of Stanford, TE's have by FAR caught more TD's the past 3 years than WR's The WR position in this O is waaaay back on the priority list. Having 2 TE sets with dynamic pass catchers will open up the running game. When they block you have a big body in there ( Fleener will get better ) and with the ability of both TEs to stretch the field, they cant put 8 in the box. The passing game will help the running game.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM ]
I disagree with pretty much this entire post. Fleener would have a significant role ~60 catches, and at ~12 yd/catch thats 720yds. A back-up running back in our system would probably notch 4.5yd/carry and 100 carries for ~450 yds.

The only major positive I see in drafting a RB early is we have our replacement in Gore in the wings. But honestly, in today's NFL, 2 elite TEs are more valuable that an elite RB.

If you believe that Fleener is going to have 60+ catches this year with the 49ers, I can see how you would come to that conclusion.

I do. I think Fleener has the potential to come in and contribute right away. Someone like Hill may take a year or two to fully grasp the pro-style system.

I agree with Buff on that one. With his understanding of the system we run (same as Stanford) and the ability to beat SS and LBs one on one in coverage with his size/speed combo, he would have a solid rookie year.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

I agree with Buff on that one. With his understanding of the system we run (same as Stanford) and the ability to beat SS and LBs one on one in coverage with his size/speed combo, he would have a solid rookie year.

I'm not on any player's bandwagon, but I will say this:

I don't give a f**k about how many yards Fleener would have if we draft him. I'd be thinking about all the TDs we'd have instead of field goals.

I agree that Fleener on the Niners would be a solid pick but don't think he would get more touches than a backup RB. But Fleener at 30 would not be a surprise pick, though. Let's remember what this post was about. I think that if Fleener is picked before the Niners pick at 30, Baalke is saying LaMichael James will be there. Re-read Baalke's quote, there is no way he is confidently stating that Fleener, by all accounts, is expected to be available to be there at 30. I think Fleener will be long gone by then.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I'm not on any player's bandwagon, but I will say this:

I don't give a f**k about how many yards Fleener would have if we draft him. I'd be thinking about all the TDs we'd have instead of field goals.

NOW WERE TALKIN!!!!! LOL

Yup, Red Zone and 3rd down. At 6'6", even our Alex couldnt sail it over his head!!!!

You expect him to produce the stats he put up his senior year, as a rookie 2nd string rookie TE? Granted he will know the offense as well as any rookie, but Vernon Davis only had 67 catches for 792 yards last year. You guys have very high expectations.
Maybe this guy? Made me drool.

Greg Childs, Arkansas, 6-3, 219 lbs., split end. Childs missed most of the 2011 season with a patella tendon injury, but before he got hurt he was widely considered one of the best, if not the best receiver in the draft. As a sophomore in the SEC he averaged 18.6 yards per catch. Recently at his Pro Day he ran a 4.39 40-yard dash and he jumped 40.5 five inches vertically. His hands are massive – 10 1/8 inches. Because of the knee injury, Childs is projected to be a fourth-round pick, but he could develop into the best split end in the entire draft.
I agree that Fleener on the Niners would be a solid pick but don't think he would get more touches than a backup RB. But Fleener at 30 would not be a surprise pick, though. Let's remember what this post was about. I think that if Fleener is picked before the Niners pick at 30, Baalke is saying LaMichael James will be there. Re-read Baalke's quote, there is no way he is confidently stating that Fleener, by all accounts, is expected to be available to be there at 30. I think Fleener will be long gone by then.

I dont think Sigmund Freud could extract any information from Trent's comments. Why would he give anything away one week from the draft? There is no way that ANYONE knows who he's referring to. Did anyone call Aldon Smith last year? Anyone hear any rumors before we picked him?

Im with you thinking that Fleener goes before us though. I could see the G-men trading up with the Pats to pick him before our pick. Hopefully not, but after Fleener ran a 4.5 at his ProDay, I think he jumped right out of our laps. Oh well. Id like to see us draft an OG like Zeitler or Glenn if Colby is off the board. Then in the 2nd and 3rd grab a WR and RB. Just my 2 cents...IN 8 DAYS THIS NONE OF THIS WILL EVEN MATTER!!!!!
Maybe CB Janoris Jenkins? I know about his "off the field" issues, but there's no denying he's a very talented player. I've heard some "experts" say he's the best man-to-man cover CB in this draft! His lack of size and "off the field" issues will cause his stock to drop. I wonder if Baalke would think his talent outweighs the risk? It's just an idea...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/janoris-jenkins?id=2532875

Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
You expect him to produce the stats he put up his senior year, as a rookie 2nd string rookie TE? Granted he will know the offense as well as any rookie, but Vernon Davis only had 67 catches for 792 yards last year. You guys have very high expectations.

Remember Davis heated up at the end of the year when he became comfortable with the system. Fleener "shouldn't" have that same problem. You never know though, could go either way. Its hard to judge it off college stats, I mean look at Gronk in college, he wasn't anything special and then set the world on fire this year. The same can be said for Graham. Both are very tall TE's who owned the Red Zone. HOWEVER...they both had two MVP QB's throwing to them..guess that helps
Share 49ersWebzone