LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Stephen Hill, he told me so.

This. We are trading up and snagging this kid for sure!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Waaaayyyy to early. I know he is shooting up some draft boards. But i have had a third round grade on him since before the combine. Still think he is a third round talent.

Not my personal review on him, but how I think it plays out on draft day. To me, he is a bubble first rounder (not my grade)

Were you creeping on the board when I said he was the 49ers darkhorse pick in this thread?

Post #24 -- http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/164913-otcs-big-253-board-april/page2/search=silatolu,ontheclock#post30

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yep. I actually think he's a massive potential dark horse pick for the 49ers at #30. Some have mentioned Zeitler, but I think Silatolu could be seen as sort of the Aldon Smith of OGs this year. Heck of a lot of parallels when you think about it.

* Huge potential, but expected to need time to develop.
* Position tweak/change expected.
* Like Aldon, Silatolu is expected to be an early pick -- in his case, as high as the top of the second, but not quite as early as 30. So he has the potential to go a little earlier than expected.
* Like the Aldon pick did for OLB, Silatolu at OG would fill the hugest, most immediate need we have at the RG position.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
If we spend our 1st round pick on an offensive guard not named Decastro/Glenn/Konz, I will throw something through my tv.

It's bad enough that over the past 7 years we've invested 3 first round and two high second round picks (5 top 50 picks in total) on the offensive line with average results. To reach for yet another offensive guard would be infuriating. This is especially true given that we packaged three picks to trade up for Daniel Kilgore last year (obviously liked him enough to pull off this move) and he had proven more than capable all preseason. I see very little if any dropoff between a Zeitler/Sitalu and a Brandon Brooks who could be had with our 2nd round pick.

My best guesses as to scheme fit players who we feel fairly confident should be there and project as solid pros (of this list I would most prefer Randle or Taamu):

Rueben Randle
Kevin Zeitler
Kendall Reyes
Alameda Taamu
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
If we spend our 1st round pick on an offensive guard not named Decastro/Glenn/Konz, I will throw something through my tv.

It's bad enough that over the past 7 years we've invested 3 first round and two high second round picks (5 top 50 picks in total) on the offensive line with average results. To reach for yet another offensive guard would be infuriating. This is especially true given that we packaged three picks to trade up for Daniel Kilgore last year (obviously liked him enough to pull off this move) and he had proven more than capable all preseason. I see very little if any dropoff between a Zeitler/Sitalu and a Brandon Brooks who could be had with our 2nd round pick.

My best guesses as to scheme fit players who we feel fairly confident should be there and project as solid pros (of this list I would most prefer Randle or Taamu):

Rueben Randle
Kevin Zeitler
Kendall Reyes
Alameda Taamu

Add fleener and Gilmore and you've got my wish list
If Baalke really wants Fleener we will have to trade up for him, because everyone knows we are going to take him, so other teams will try to move ahead of us to take him before we do. If Baalke is really thinking Randle, then there isn't much of a concern because teams are not as likely to trade up for Randle.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Were you creeping on the board when I said he was the 49ers darkhorse pick in this thread?

Post #24 -- http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/164913-otcs-big-253-board-april/page2/search=silatolu,ontheclock#post30

I go back and forth between Silatolu and Jenkins, who I think is super special.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by Johnster:
He might, but even Delanie has averaged only 1.5 catches per game! In six years he had 102 catches. Even last year, in the totally overstated multiple TE harbaugh system, he had only 19 catches in 15 games.

Kendall Hunter had 112 rushing attempts. A Backup RB is worth much more than a backup TE.

Gore has been hurt almost every season in the NFL and is approaching 30. Hunter is no different than Colin Kapernick and every 49er that must earn his job and will have to compete. If Gore goes down, it simply foolish to hope that Hunter can carry the offense because Alex Smith isn't.

I understand your point, but if Gore goes down, its a Jacobs / Hunter split just like in NY with Bradshaw.

As far as Walker, I think your point makes getting Fleener even MORE important. This is TE centric offense, the WR plays a minor role. Go back and check the Stanford stats and the 9ers stats this year. How about a Fleener in the 1st, OG in the 2nd and Turbin in the 3rd? That's much better than jumping up early to draft James who's projected to go in the late 2nd early 3rd.

THIS please!!!!
i dont think its a G or CB

we havent really called any of those people in for visits

its going to be a WR or fleener because we called every WR wo should be there at end of first round for visits (unless they all get taken)
If I had to guess as to who Baalke was referring, I'd put my money on Zeitler. He's the fourth best guard in the draft, but that's because there's an overabundance of first round talent this year at the guard position. I can't imagine that he'd be gone before we pick, he fits a position of need, and he's talented and well coached. Solid, solid pick at 30.

However, I don't believe for a second that he's the first player on the Niners board. Zeitler is the safety net, the player that they go with if no one falls or they can't move up.
I think it's a guard. And the zone will implode because it's not sexy. If it's a WR, I think Rueben Randle. Realistically he would be available at #30
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think it's a guard. And the zone will implode because it's not sexy. If it's a WR, I think Rueben Randle. Realistically he would be available at #30

all the G we have called in are 2nd and 3rd rounders i dont think so

we called in too many WR for it not to be a WR

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

all the G we have called in are 2nd and 3rd rounders i dont think so

we called in too many WR for it not to be a WR

Not sure that I can go by the people that they had in for visits. It's just not a true indicator of who they like or would draft. It maybe an indicator what position they would like to draft for.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM ]
Not sure that I can go by the people that they had in for visits. It's just not a true indicator of who they like or would draft. I maybe an indicator what position they would like to draft for.

i dont know if they went to Wisconsin pro dday or not

but when drafting a player especially early in 1st roundn you want to get a first hand look

and we looked at just about every 1st round WR we havent looked at many g just saying im not against taking a G but the best thing for the team may be start boone at RT get davis at RG pick up fleener in 1st then a greg childs in 3rd rounder
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Not sure that I can go by the people that they had in for visits. It's just not a true indicator of who they like or would draft. I maybe an indicator what position they would like to draft for.

i dont know if they went to Wisconsin pro dday or not

but when drafting a player especially early in 1st roundn you want to get a first hand look

and we looked at just about every 1st round WR we havent looked at many g just saying im not against taking a G but the best thing for the team may be start boone at RT get davis at RG pick up fleener in 1st then a greg childs in 3rd rounder

Makes me think Baalke might even trade a next year pick to move up into the early 20's instead of staying at 30.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I just hope its not Fleener in the 1st or a RB. Fleener in the 2nd is fine by me.

Reuben Randle is the man. He is supposed to be llike Vincent Jackson, a big red zone target. Vincent Jackson just signed for 5 years 55 million. I think Baalke is like we can get him for the rookie pool money of 4 years 8 million.

Reuben Randle, even if Fleener is on the board.
Share 49ersWebzone