There are 168 users in the forums

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Joecool:
We may take him at #30, but I just cannot see us trading up ten places for a tight end.

What if that TE can give you Vernon or Gronk type of production/presence? Bill Walsh theory at its best. You don't not take a player because the conventional rules say the position is not a high value at that spot. You take him if you think he can produce similar to the value at that spot.

If a player can present a presence on offense similar to Gore, Larry Allen, Vernon, Gronk, Moss, then the value chart does not apply and you take him. We all know you can acquire a productive TE later in the draft, but that is also not as common as most think.

I cant see us feeding two tight ends enough ball to justify trading up that far. If we didnt have Vernon, probably a given.

Cant see the trade up.

You don't need to feed them a lot even though the Pats got nearly 1000 yards from both of theirs. I can see Vernon getting his usual 700-900 yards but a higher yards per catch since the field will open up for him and Fleener being the go-to chain mover/Red Zone TD maker.

The impact of Fleener would be to completely open up the field for Gore and other players due to the attention he will require. That alone, I wouldn't mind taking him in the first or even trading up because that tells even more how Harbaugh values his presence on the field.

Yes, but what sort of run game did the Pats have?

At #30 maybe.

Which makes us even less predictable. BTW, the Pats ran the ball to win in the playoffs.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Well, the mere fact he said he's confident his guy will be there leads me to believe it likely won't be any of the guys that the webzone has a crush on.

and with that I believe it is David Wilson. Add in the fact he spent 2 days on his visit and there you have it.
Originally posted by krizay:
Well, the mere fact he said he's confident his guy will be there leads me to believe it likely won't be any of the guys that the webzone has a crush on.

and with that I believe it is David Wilson. Add in the fact he spent 2 days on his visit and there you have it.

I agree with the 1st part, but I doubt it is a RB. May be one the guards that are projected in the early 2nd Silatola or Zeitler.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think the mystery player is Hill. Fleener a close 2nd.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:

Doubt its a RB. 2013 is super duper deep at the position - Jacobs may be gone unless he lights it up this year, Gore will be a year older, and we may or may not have Dixon and Cartwright as Special Teams guys.

We'll also have another year to evaluate Hunter to see if he can be a 15 - 20 carries a game guy.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I'm uncertain whether Baalke likes boom-bust picks or not. He hit a home run with Aldon Smith -- is he going to push his luck with Hill?
Even though many Zoners have a serious bro-mance with Fleener (............mine is more of a man crush), there is still the other white meat from Stanford in David DeCastro to consider. Baalke has shown that he is willing to move up to get his guy. If DeCastro gets past the Cowboys at pick # 14, the Niners may make their move before the Bengals, Chargers, and Bears pick.
These terms being used are seriously lame. Draft crush? These are grown professionals we are talking about.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I'm uncertain whether Baalke likes boom-bust picks or not. He hit a home run with Aldon Smith -- is he going to push his luck with Hill?

Its not boom or bust if scouts look at the player and decide he's the best player available. Its boom or bust in a fans mind because they don't know anything about prospects beyond what analysts put out there. If they draft Stephen Hill, I guarantee you they did there homework and decided he has what it takes and they are counting on him to develop. We didn't hesitate to take Culliver or Miller last year and no one knew who they were and they ended up being huge contributors.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM ]
I think Baalke is hoping for Randle, but has Jenkins as a backup plan.

1. AJ Jenkins, WR
2. Amini Silatolu, RG

3. Jarius Wright

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mayo49:

This is the area in which we took Balmer, so the bust potential is there. I think Harbaalke will do their homework and if they like him and he's there, he'll be their pick.
You heard it here first...

LaMichael James
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Johnster:

LaMichael James

Originally posted by Johnster:

LaMichael James

I wouldn't be mad with that. He's a playmaker and could be amazing value.
Baalke isn't afraid to trade up for the guy he wants, so I say Michael Floyd

lol - not Malcolm, my bad
[ Edited by saniner on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone