There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I like how everyone from Stanford is automatically assumed to be a target because of Harbaugh. We have two very good TE already. We have greater needs elsewhere, and a late 1st rounder is no more a sure thing than a 2nd. After signing f/a WR and letting Snyder walk, our biggest need is at Guard. We have Daniel Kilgore starting right now...

If Fleener is that highly valued, he wont fall to 30. And if he does, trading the pick to someone who desperately wants him makes more sense.

No. We have one very good Tight end, one very overrated tight end, and one tight end that is a helluva blocker.

Please let me know if you'd like me to break down why Delanie Walker blows.

First of all, Vernon Davis is good enough. Most teams would love to have just 1 TE like that. Second, Walker may be overrated, but he could still start for 1/3 of the NFL.

Are you really trying to say we need a TE more than a G?

I dont know that I agree with you that Walker could start for 1/3 of the NFL teams in the league. I think he is a decent 2nd TE but not an NFL starter. I DO agree that OG is clearly the NIners greatest need. They should either move up for Glenn (Decastro would cost too much) or pick Zeitler if he is available. The Niners need to shore up both lines.
I like how everyone from Stanford is automatically assumed to be a target because of Harbaugh. We have two very good TE already. We have greater needs elsewhere, and a late 1st rounder is no more a sure thing than a 2nd. After signing f/a WR and letting Snyder walk, our biggest need is at Guard. We have Daniel Kilgore starting right now...

If Fleener is that highly valued, he wont fall to 30. And if he does, trading the pick to someone who desperately wants him makes more sense.

No. We have one very good Tight end, one very overrated tight end, and one tight end that is a helluva blocker.

First of all, Vernon Davis is good enough. Most teams would love to have just 1 TE like that. Second, Walker may be overrated, but he could still start for 1/3 of the NFL.

I don't think anybody thinks we need a TE more than a G... but we need an offensive playmaker much more than we need a G. If Fleener is the best available when we pick, then that will be the pick.

We don't have any obvious needs. Manningham and Moss fill the WR need. Kilgore, Person, and Boone fill the G need. And we are set on defense. It will be an offensive BPA pick.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Joecool:
We may take him at #30, but I just cannot see us trading up ten places for a tight end.

What if that TE can give you Vernon or Gronk type of production/presence? Bill Walsh theory at its best. You don't not take a player because the conventional rules say the position is not a high value at that spot. You take him if you think he can produce similar to the value at that spot.

If a player can present a presence on offense similar to Gore, Larry Allen, Vernon, Gronk, Moss, then the value chart does not apply and you take him. We all know you can acquire a productive TE later in the draft, but that is also not as common as most think.

I cant see us feeding two tight ends enough ball to justify trading up that far. If we didnt have Vernon, probably a given.

Cant see the trade up.

You don't need to feed them a lot even though the Pats got nearly 1000 yards from both of theirs. I can see Vernon getting his usual 700-900 yards but a higher yards per catch since the field will open up for him and Fleener being the go-to chain mover/Red Zone TD maker.

The impact of Fleener would be to completely open up the field for Gore and other players due to the attention he will require. That alone, I wouldn't mind taking him in the first or even trading up because that tells even more how Harbaugh values his presence on the field.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM ]
osemele & akpala
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont think he's telling the truth, but if he is, I wouldn't be shocked if its a RB.

I would be.... Not this year. We can survive with Gore/Hunter/Jacobs for the upcoming year. Next years draft is loaded with RBs.

Ah, your probably right. Nothing Baalke does suprises me. The dude has a bag of tricks.
That 30th pick person is the one we have been discussing for the last 2 months and in about a week we will find out who it is.

Walker is not a TE. He is a HB. The idea that he would be a starting TE for 1/3 of the NFL is a myth. The only reason he has shown glimpses is because teams flat out forget about him. Give Harbaugh and Alex the second TE they need for this offense to run 100% effectively.
It's time to start a nickname for him already...even though he's not a forty niner yet.

Coby Beef?
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Walker is not a TE. He is a HB. The idea that he would be a starting TE for 1/3 of the NFL is a myth. The only reason he has shown glimpses is because teams flat out forget about him. Give Harbaugh and Alex the second TE they need for this offense to run 100% effectively.

I agree. He's 6', cannot catch jump balls and is not fast enough to burn safeties deep. He mainly gets open due to design more than his ability to beat anyone faster than a LB.
You don't need to feed them a lot even though the Pats got nearly 1000 yards from both of theirs. I can see Vernon getting his usual 700-900 yards but a higher yards per catch since the field will open up for him and Fleener being the go-to chain mover/Red Zone TD maker.

The impact of Fleener would be to completely open up the field for Gore and other players due to the attention he will require. That alone, I wouldn't mind taking him in the first or even trading up because that tells even more how Harbaugh values his presence on the field.

TEs were 42% of Pats passing offense! 38% of targeted passes.

The 49ers saw TE at 24% of passing offense, 29% of targets.
I bet it's some player none of us had heard of.
I agree. He's 6', cannot catch jump balls and is not fast enough to burn safeties deep. He mainly gets open due to design more than his ability to beat anyone faster than a LB.

If we draft Fleener, Walker will be the surprise cut of Camp!

Byham was really impressive last summer.
fleener or hill would make me cum
We may take him at #30, but I just cannot see us trading up ten places for a tight end.

What if that TE can give you Vernon or Gronk type of production/presence? Bill Walsh theory at its best. You don't not take a player because the conventional rules say the position is not a high value at that spot. You take him if you think he can produce similar to the value at that spot.

If a player can present a presence on offense similar to Gore, Larry Allen, Vernon, Gronk, Moss, then the value chart does not apply and you take him. We all know you can acquire a productive TE later in the draft, but that is also not as common as most think.

I cant see us feeding two tight ends enough ball to justify trading up that far. If we didnt have Vernon, probably a given.

Cant see the trade up.

Yes, but what sort of run game did the Pats have?

At #30 maybe.
[ Edited by English on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM ]
I would like Fleener in the first, Jefferey in the second, And send a flyer on Akpla in the late rounds. Those are some good weapons to add to this offense.