There are 199 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

I bet we trade with the patriots to grab Fleener. The Pats love to stock pile picks and doing this would be relatively cheap (4th or 5th round pick) and keep other teams from jumping in front of us if he lasts to the late first. Similar to the A. Davis trade, they've identified their guy and will do their best within reason to secure him. It just makes too much sense if he lasts to the mid 20's, as a receiver alone he is better than anyone available for us at the WR position in the late first and can be used as such.

Harbaughs dream offense is 2,3, even 4 TE's on the field at once so he will build the team accordingly and start subbing out additional lineman from the "heavy" packages with tight ends. VD, Walker, Byham, Fleener and Gore enter the huddle... if the D puts their big men on the field, audible to a pass play that sends VD, Walker and Fleener into routes... if the D puts a pass D on the field, Byham and Walker can both play FB and Gore runs it. That would put an end to the 3rd down conversion problems in one offensive package.
[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM ]
my guess is it's somebody that none of us are talking about. Honestly, I like a lot of prospects but I'm starting to hope that when the pick is made I have to go wtf? who? really? the Aldon Smith pick made me a believer
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 950
Harbaugh interview:

Q: Is there a specific guy at No. 30?

A: "I think Trent's trying to be dramatic with you guys and build the drama. There's several."



http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/04/18/harbaugh-transcript-were-a-football-oasis-inside-a-construction-zone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ There is no reason for him to say this.
~ You do not say ever "there is a player we like and will pick at #30."
~ People will assume it's Fleener because of the Harbaugh connection.
~ Making it more difficult to obtain him now. We will have to trade up because people will try to get ahead of us.
~ Never tell anybody. Media, fans, other teams what you will do.
That's assuming that's who HE wants. Just because YOU want him doesn't mean that's who HE is talking about.

It's Fleener....
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,941
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's Fleener....

you're likely right. I never get the player I want. With that said, unlike 06. I wouldn't mind Fleener (TE) at #30. I'm actually starting to come around to wanting him sorta. BUT..... He doesn't say "KNOWS that will be there" if it's Fleener.

I honestly have no preference at this time.

I think I want Rueben randle. I think he's the 3rd best WR in the class. but with Moss and Manningham aboard . Then I want David Wilson. BUT... with the addition of Brandon Jacobs


We literally can go ANY direction in this draft. At this present time. I'm hoping for....

1. David Wilson RB
2. Markelle Martin FS
3. Michael Brewster C
4. Jeff Fuller WR
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's Fleener....

you're likely right. I never get the player I want. With that said, unlike 06. I wouldn't mind Fleener (TE) at #30. I'm actually starting to come around to wanting him sorta. BUT..... He doesn't say "KNOWS that will be there" if it's Fleener.

I honestly have no preference at this time.

I think I want Rueben randle. I think he's the 3rd best WR in the class. but with Moss and Manningham aboard . Then I want David Wilson. BUT... with the addition of Brandon Jacobs


We literally can go ANY direction in this draft. At this present time. I'm hoping for....

1. David Wilson RB
2. Markelle Martin FS
3. Michael Brewster C
4. Jeff Fuller WR

You are ok with and coming around to Fleener in the 1st round? This is an earth shattering moment. I thought you hated TE's in the 1st round?.....
keenan allen
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,941
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You are ok with and coming around to Fleener in the 1st round? This is an earth shattering moment. I thought you hated TE's in the 1st round?.....

Actually if I remember correctly (and I think I do cause I said it 1,00 times ) The only way I could see taking a TE is if you're a perennial playoff contender and it's the missing piece. We are now perennial contenders and we really don't have that big of holes to where WE HAVE TO fill that hole.

I still feel the ideal way to "fill" the TE spot is Charles in the 3rd or Ford in the 5th.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Harbaugh interview:

Q: Is there a specific guy at No. 30?

A: "I think Trent's trying to be dramatic with you guys and build the drama. There's several."



http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/04/18/harbaugh-transcript-were-a-football-oasis-inside-a-construction-zone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

I think we trade up. Harbaugh wasn't asked about trading up but was asked about being aggressive in the Draft. He himself brought up trading up.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You are ok with and coming around to Fleener in the 1st round? This is an earth shattering moment. I thought you hated TE's in the 1st round?.....

Actually if I remember correctly (and I think I do cause I said it 1,00 times ) The only way I could see taking a TE is if you're a perennial playoff contender and it's the missing piece. We are now perennial contenders and we really don't have that big of holes to where WE HAVE TO fill that hole.

I still feel the ideal way to "fill" the TE spot is Charles in the 3rd or Ford in the 5th.

Well we don't need to "fill" it. But we are adding to it. We have Davis already. We would be just adding another excellent player.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
keenan allen


ill be really mad if the niners pick a player who isnt in the draft
[ Edited by hofer36 on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM ]
Brandon Boykin. Elite athlete, elite speed, great return specialist, versatile (offensively & defensively), played against elite competition, small but durable (played in all 53 gms), and position of need. Book it.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
keenan allen


ill be really mad if the nienrss pick a player who isnt in the draft

Trade this years first for next years. You really can't do much worse than #30
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ There is no reason for him to say this.
~ You do not say ever "there is a player we like and will pick at #30."
~ People will assume it's Fleener because of the Harbaugh connection.
~ Making it more difficult to obtain him now. We will have to trade up because people will try to get ahead of us.
~ Never tell anybody. Media, fans, other teams what you will do.
That's assuming that's who HE wants. Just because YOU want him doesn't mean that's who HE is talking about.

It's Fleener....


I remember last year, you were SOOOO sure that the FO and Baalke were the worst in the league because of the beginning of the draft not going according to YOUR plans.

Cmon bro, lets not jump to conclusions just yet because of how Baalke is wording the words in his words. Word?
Originally posted by smacII:
Brandon Boykin. Elite athlete, elite speed, great return specialist, versatile (offensively & defensively), played against elite competition, small but durable (played in all 53 gms), and position of need. Book it.


small is not a word in baalke's vocabulary
...