LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

I bet Baalke's crush is Stephen Hill. It'll be a good scenario for him in SF, under Randy Moss' tutelage to shape his raw talent.
Originally posted by DENden223:
I bet Baalke's crush is Stephen Hill. It'll be a good scenario for him in SF, under Randy Moss' tutelage to shape his raw talent.

agree
Originally posted by jreff22:

agree

I agree to but I have a feeling he Won't be around at pick 30.
Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
Originally posted by jreff22:

agree

I agree to but I have a feeling he Won't be around at pick 30.

initial mocks after the combine had him VERY high now he has fallen to the 30's...think he is around 36-42 of value
Originally posted by Lifer:
I can't think of one good reason why a GM would get up in public one week before the draft and drop hints about what he was actually planning to do... especially a secretive, close to the vest guy like Baalke. This is all just one big smokescreen.

Smokescreen?? He didn't say anything.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Joe Adams
Originally posted by fropwns:
Joe Adams

i hope its greg childs

he is going to be a beast
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Baalke's "crush" is a smoke screen. I think he wants to trade down. By saying "there's a guy we want at #30 and we know he'll be there," he's sending a message to potential trade partners. The message is "We're not afraid to use the pick and we're not desperate to trade." This is his attempt to maximize the value of the #30 pick.

Why trade down? The 49ers don't need to get instant starters from this draft (though it's always nice). What they really need is players to develop for the future. Also, there's no way that 7 rookies make this squad. So they don't really need or want 7 picks. The best bang for the buck in the draft is in rounds 2-5. That's where you find the high value guys who aren't necessarily ready to start year one, but who can become solid starters down the road. I think Baalke's strategy is to trade down out of round 1 and up out of the later rounds to end up with 4-5 picks overall, concentrated in rounds 2-4.
[ Edited by Lifer on Apr 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM ]
Baalke's "crush" is a smoke screen. I think he wants to trade down. By saying "there's a guy we want at #30 and we know he'll be there," he's sending a message to potential trade partners. The message is "We're not afraid to use the pick and we're not desperate to trade." This is his attempt to maximize the value of the #30 pick.

Why trade down? The 49ers don't need to get instant starters from this draft (though it's always nice). What they really need is players to develop for the future. Also, there's no way that 7 rookies make this squad. So they don't really need or want 7 picks. The best bang for the buck in the draft is in rounds 2-5. That's where you find the high value guys who aren't necessarily ready to start year one, but who can become solid starters down the road. I think Baalke's strategy is to trade down out of round 1 and up out of the later rounds to try and land 4-5 picks in rounds 2-4.

agree 100%, Zeitler is the target IMO
i hope it isnt a guard

our line will consist of 4 1st rounders. That would get might expensive in the coming years.

Would rather draft lower and coach them up.

Baalke drafted 2 offensive linemen just 2 years ago in Iupati and A. Davis. Wouldn't surprise me if Baalke goes guard in the first round again.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM ]
I have a feeling that Baalke is looking really seriously at either Harrison Smith or Shea McClellin. Again, just a feeling.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I have a feeling that Baalke is looking really seriously at either Harrison Smith or Shea McClellin. Again, just a feeling.

Shea wouldn't surprise me, but I'm seeing mocks where he goes earlier

All we have is brooks, smith, and haralson.

Why trade down? The 49ers don't need to get instant starters from this draft (though it's always nice). What they really need is players to develop for the future. Also, there's no way that 7 rookies make this squad. So they don't really need or want 7 picks. The best bang for the buck in the draft is in rounds 2-5. That's where you find the high value guys who aren't necessarily ready to start year one, but who can become solid starters down the road. I think Baalke's strategy is to trade down out of round 1 and up out of the later rounds to try and land 4-5 picks in rounds 2-4.
do you think other teams monitor other teams press to get insight on their draft plans? i wouldnt as I wouldnt believe anything i read about it
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Vontaze Burfict.

You funny man.
Share 49ersWebzone