There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

i think thats why they call it a

dun dun dun

Mystery!
Jayron Hosley
Originally posted by PTulini:
Maybe CB Janoris Jenkins? I know about his "off the field" issues, but there's no denying he's a very talented player. I've heard some "experts" say he's the best man-to-man cover CB in this draft! His lack of size and "off the field" issues will cause his stock to drop. I wonder if Baalke would think his talent outweighs the risk? It's just an idea...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/janoris-jenkins?id=2532875

possibly agree
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Agree. I don't think we targeted Dalton as much as Kaep. Everyone knew Cinci was going for Dalton there, so if he wanted him he knew to trade in front of Cinci, but we moved up to get the QB with the potential that Harbaugh spent all day throwing the football with pre-draft in Kaep.

Baalke already explained that they attempted to trade up into the late first to select Kaepernick. They graded him higher than Dalton.
If we spend our 1st round pick on an offensive guard not named Decastro/Glenn/Konz, I will throw something through my tv.

It's bad enough that over the past 7 years we've invested 3 first round and two high second round picks (5 top 50 picks in total) on the offensive line with average results. To reach for yet another offensive guard would be infuriating. This is especially true given that we packaged three picks to trade up for Daniel Kilgore last year (obviously liked him enough to pull off this move) and he had proven more than capable all preseason. I see very little if any dropoff between a Zeitler/Sitalu and a Brandon Brooks who could be had with our 2nd round pick.

My best guesses as to scheme fit players who we feel fairly confident should be there and project as solid pros (of this list I would most prefer Randle or Taamu):

Rueben Randle
Kevin Zeitler
Kendall Reyes
Alameda Taamu
My guess is Silatolu. Very physical player with violent hands.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

How do you know? Did he do something violent to you?
There is NO WAY a GM as deliberate and tight lipped as Baalke let's it slip that they really have ONE GUY they favor. Particularly since he said it twice. That would be telling every other team, "Hey, if I call to trade up, I'm willing to overpay because I love one guy."

This is the estabishment of a smoke screen. We don't know what it's purpose is, it could be to:
1. Act like your guy got picked early on draft day so others think he is off the board and let him keep sliding?
2. Telegraph that you are willing to trade back when you do #1 above?
3. With #2 above, it accomplishes your ability to trade back while trying to act like your favorite guy is gone, when in fact you'll pick him up at your lower slot?

Yeah, I thought this was a mistake by Balke until he said it TWICE. LOL

The 49ers are in an ideal position, they only need a OG and there are plenty available in the 2nd. The rest are great to have picks if the right guy is there -- WR (inclusive of Fleener), OG, CB, etc. With the OG depth, I suspect if their ideal WR (or Fleener) aren't there, they will happily move back to gain a 2nd or 3rd rd pick where they can add more future starter depth at any number of positions -- OG, RB, OLB, CB, DL, etc.

Undoubtledly, Baalke will totally surpise me.
my mom
I hope we get brian quick. He's a little raw but my gut tells he he's going to be a beast with some NFL coaching. I'm not very high on hill
CF
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
my mom

That's who I'd pick
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Waaaayyyy to early. I know he is shooting up some draft boards. But i have had a third round grade on him since before the combine. Still think he is a third round talent.
Fleener's the obvious choice...but, Baalke's a master of disguise, which is a very good thing for GM to be. He's being coy, which he should be. If it's not Fleener, then it could be Doug Martin. I know many don't think we need another RB, but this kid is absolutely perfect for Harbaugh's offense. He does everything exceptionally well and returns kicks, too. He's the right size...at least in terms of what Harbaalke want. Much as I love Gore, we all need to face the fact he's wearing down, as most RB's do after heavy-duty use for 7 seasons. As Bill Walsh did, Harbaugh should get him now...give him a year to learn the offense with some PT, then take over as starter in 2013.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Waaaayyyy to early. I know he is shooting up some draft boards. But i have had a third round grade on him since before the combine. Still think he is a third round talent.

Not my personal review on him, but how I think it plays out on draft day. To me, he is a bubble first rounder (not my grade)