LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Fleener is there at our pick. Do we....

Fleener is there at our pick. Do we....

This Fleener s**t is ridiculous. The Zone has blinders on to the rest of the draft.

Quentin Groves 2.0...
Originally posted by mebemused:
Take BPA. If we get a compelling a trade offer, and there are multiple options of relatively the same value at the trade down slot, take it.

As Maiacco says, thanks to our free agency moves, this draft is all about depth. At many positions in this draft, there is sufficient depth to still get a good player in the third round.

Justin Smith and Ray McDonald played a lot of snaps last season. And Soap is on the last year of his contract. Let's improve our depth on the DL.

Reggie Smith and Maldieu signed with other teams, and our other safety, Spillman is a special teams ace. We could use depth their considering we are franchising Goldson this year.

We could always use another CB.

Yes, we have needs at OG, but we don't know if Kilgore is the answer. Even if he is, we would need another OG/C as backup, and eventually move to center.

Lastly, as everyone knows, we should draft a WR because our passing attack was so anemic. But there are big tall receivers and TEs all the way through the 4th round, so if there is a better player on the board at #30, we don't have to take Fleener to have a tall redzone threat to high point fade routes in the corner of the endzone.

I actually would love to see them take a dominant DL. I wouldnt even mind taking Ta'amu early because NT is a premium position. I'm just hoping that Fleener is there and we happen to cash in on some hype ie someone overpays for that pick
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
If Fleener is there in the late 20's, whatever team that wants him bad enough to trade up and grab him will do so BEFORE our pick. No way they would take the chance of us not taking him. And we ALL know who would be willing to trade out of the 1st, the team always looking to make a deal at the bottom of the 1st...the Pats. They have 2 1st rounders ( 27 from NO ) and their own 31. If Fleener is there at 27, teams are going to be burning up the Pats phone. I have a STRONG feeling he doesn't make it to them though, I think Houston at 26 picks him. If not, I could see us being the team that trades with the Pats at 27.

15 MORE DAYS!!!!!

That actually makes a lot of sense, and now i'm sad that we won't be cashing in on the hype
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
After Aldon Smith last year I'm gonna have to defer to Baalke on this one

Im with you big bro.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Grant Cohn has us trading up to #17 and taking Fleener...

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/04/inside-the-49ers/mock-draft-2-0-the-niners-trade-up-to-pick-no-17/

hell no. a 1st, 2nd and 4th for Fleener is way way too much.
I doubt if Fleener falls to us we trade him away, even if it's with juicy potential. -Walker will be gone, and we no quality WR depth (albiet with what we added). Fleener is a no-brainer with Harbaugh.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/04/inside-the-49ers/mock-draft-2-0-the-niners-trade-up-to-pick-no-17/

Wouldn't do that, but I would at #30 in a heartbeat
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Fleener is a good value (although not the biggest need) at 30, but I'm dead against trading up.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Niners will go OL with 1st

#1 - Amini Silatolu OG
#2 - Brian Quick WR
#3 - Josh Norman - CB
#4 - Michael Brewster - C
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Chaoslord209:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The greater question is: If Fleener is on the board at 30, and the Niners do not select him, the Webzone will _________________________________________.

LOL. We have to pick him. But I think we have to trade up to get him realistically.
Trade up to get Fleener. Boy, this place is gonna go postal if we pass on Fleener.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Apr 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM ]

Honestly, as much as Fleener is on mine and the Zone's Mount Crushmore it doesn't really matter in the end. Jimbo knows him better than any coach or GM in the league. He recruited him and was with him day in and day out. If he's as good as I think he can be and we trade up for him, it will be for good reason. On the flip side, if he's there at 30 and we pick someone else, there will also be good reason for it. What the 9ers do on draft day will tell the entire league how good he could be. Unless something crazy happens and he's one of the 1st 20 picks, we will ALL know exactly how much he is valued by the 9ers.

If they trade up = they believe he can be a huge difference maker and Perrennial Pro Bowler in the Gronk / Graham mold.
If they take the wait and see approach at 30 = they are optimistic that he can be very good, but are willing to risk it because they value other players ( Hill, Wright, Randle, Jeffery, Glenn ) the same.
If he's there at 30 and they do not draft him = then they either do not like him, or have another player valued higher. In this scenario it would be hard for me to believe he's as good as he's being touted. You would not pass on him if you knew he was going to be a Gronk/Graham, Jimbo knows that answer right now.

There are no immediate needs on this team, so this will truly be the 1st time Jimmy or Trent will draft BPA. Fleener fits in just as well as any big time WR because of the offense we run, the WR's we already have under contract, the fact the Fleener is just as fast as any of those WR's and the fact that Fleener would help out the team in the Red Zone / 3rd down as much as ANY WR in this draft.

What the 9ers do in 13 days will tell us all we need to know about one Coby Fleener.

Until then, we'll have fun the next two weeks debating it!
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Chaoslord209:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The greater question is: If Fleener is on the board at 30, and the Niners do not select him, the Webzone will _________________________________________.

LOL. We have to pick him. But I think we have to trade up to get him realistically.
Trade up to get Fleener. Boy, this place is gonna go postal if we pass on Fleener.

For the sake of comedy, I hope we DO pass on himl.
NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects Stanford TE Coby Fleener to be drafted between picks No. 28 and 40.

"Ability wise, he's a second-rounder," says Mayock, who expects Fleener to be an impact NFL pass catcher. It's in other areas that Fleener struggles, however. "This kid is not a trained killer," said Mayock. "He's not a great blocker."

LINKO

Will you guys calm the F down about this guy already?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects Stanford TE Coby Fleener to be drafted between picks No. 28 and 40.

"Ability wise, he's a second-rounder," says Mayock, who expects Fleener to be an impact NFL pass catcher. It's in other areas that Fleener struggles, however. "This kid is not a trained killer," said Mayock. "He's not a great blocker."

LINKO

NEVER!!!!!!

So what player at 30 makes your crotch feel tingly???
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

LINKO

NEVER!!!!!!

So what player at 30 makes your crotch feel tingly???

Honestly, I have no idea. I haven't kept up on the draft that much.

I just think the Zone is getting way too excited about a slightly above average Stanford TE that we don't need.

Quentin Groves 2.0 (though I acknowledge that Fleener will be a decent pro, better than Groves)
Share 49ersWebzone