LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

safety prospects

with the reggie smith to carolina signing, the niners are even thinner at the reserve safty positions...i wasnt wowed by madieu williams, so i could see niners plucking 1, maybe 2 safeties in the draft....

unfortunately the safety class looks pretty weak

any safeties out there that are good fits for Niners?

Trumaine Johnson is an interesting prospect, as I could see them being able to use him at both cornerback and safety...
Brandon hardin also played both positions and might be a lesser version of Johnson

who else might help the 49ers?
Madieu Williams is a free agent as well. Doubt he is back. Leaves CJ Spillman as backup FS and Colin Jones as backup SS.

Wonder if they see Curtis Holcomb as CB or S?

If not wouldn't hurt to have a 3rd backup. Personally, IMO if we don't plan on signing Goldson to a long term deal I wait until next year when the FS/S class is much better and take someone in round 1. If we do plan on re-signing him not really worth spending more than a mid-late round pick on a S. Maybe someone who can play both like CB/S or someone who can play both S spots. We like our versatile guys.

Edit; double post.. wz went down
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM ]
I wish Smith the best in Carolina but I have to be honest I'm glad to see him go. He's slow, takes horrible angles and a terrible tackler in the open field. Not good qualities for a safety. Williams, if he comes back is the better option at back up anyway. I still have nightmares about Smith's performance up in Green Bay a couple years ago. Driver made him his b*tc#.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Madieu Williams is a free agent as well. Doubt he is back. Leaves CJ Spillman as backup FS and Colin Jones as backup SS.

Wonder if they see Curtis Holcomb as CB or S?

If not wouldn't hurt to have a 3rd backup. Personally, IMO if we don't plan on signing Goldson to a long term deal I wait until next year when the FS/S class is much better and take someone in round 1. If we do plan on re-signing him not really worth spending more than a mid-late round pick on a S. Maybe someone who can play both like CB/S or someone who can play both S spots. We like our versatile guys.
Though the class next year is better, i don't think it would hurt to get a guy this year and give him a year under Goldson before he possibly takes over for him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Earlier rounders
-Harrison Smith - likely a fridge first rounder but definite 2nd rounder so probably to early to draft a #3 safety but he is a playmaker

-Trumaine Johnson - a double edged sword as CB/S prospect

-Markelle Martin - Fast enough to play FS and loves contact but but he could be more suited for SS due to his size

Late rounders
-Brandon Taylor - Another fast player that loves contact and produced 71 tackles 7.5 for loss, 5 PDs and 2 INTs

-Antonio Allen - A bit of a sleeper that could really surprise people, one of the most physically imposing safeties in the draft that put up near identical stats as Taylor did.

-George Iloka - I dont know a lot about him but a lot of people on here love the guy, he's a freak at 6-3/6-4 225 and is great in run support but has zero production in coverage(never watched tape so maybe he was never thrown to??)

-Janzen Jackson - Former Tennessee FS who got kicked out of school, probably the most talented of the late rounders but he is almost more appropriately sized to play CB rather then safety.

-Sean Richardson - My personal favorite late round prospect but he lacks productive in coverage(1 career INT in 3 years) despite being an a superb run defender with 266 tackles in 3 years which should translate well to ST.

-Aaron Henry - he's fallen off the radar but is easily one of the most well rounded prospects in the late rounds and looks like he could play solid ST.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Earlier rounders
-Harrison Smith - likely a fridge first rounder but definite 2nd rounder so probably to early to draft a #3 safety but he is a playmaker

-Markelle Martin - Fast enough to play FS and loves contact but but he could be more suited for SS due to his size

Late rounders
-Brandon Taylor - Another fast player that loves contact and produced 71 tackles 7.5 for loss, 5 PDs and 2 INTs

-Antonio Allen - A bit of a sleeper that could really surprise people, one of the most physically imposing safeties in the draft that put up near identical stats as Taylor did.

-George Iloka - I dont know a lot about him but a lot of people on here love the guy, he's a freak at 6-3/6-4 225 and is great in run support but has zero production in coverage(never watched tape so maybe he was never thrown to??)

-Janzen Jackson - Former Tennessee FS who got kicked out of school, probably the most talented of the late rounders but he is almost more appropriately sized to play CB rather then safety.

-Sean Richardson - My personal favorite late round prospect but he lacks productive in coverage(1 career INT in 3 years) despite being an a superb run defender with 266 tackles in 3 years which should translate well to ST.

-Aaron Henry - he's fallen off the radar but is easily one of the most well rounded prospects in the late rounds and looks like he could play solid ST.

Iloka and Henry are considered some of the top FS prospects in the draft.

Rounds 2-4 you should be able to find - M.Martin, Iloka, Henry, Allen, and Harrison.
Round 5-7 are where I'd value the rest, including the tweeners - Golden (CB/S), Bethel (CB/S), Fletcher (CB/S), Thompson, Hardin, Jackson, B.Taylor, Richardson, and Tavon Wilson.

Even without Williams and Reggie Smith, we still have 5 safeties: Goldson, Spillman, Jones, Whitner and practice squader LeGree.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Earlier rounders

Late rounders

Rounds 2-4 you should be able to find - M.Martin, Iloka, Henry, Allen, and Harrison.
Round 5-7 are where I'd value the rest, including the tweeners - Golden (CB/S), Bethel (CB/S), Fletcher (CB/S), Thompson, Hardin, Jackson, B.Taylor, Richardson, and Tavon Wilson.

Even without Williams and Reggie Smith, we still have 5 safeties: Goldson, Spillman, Jones, Whitner and practice squader LeGree.

yep I was not very specific in rounds, basically broke it up from rounds 1-3 to 4-7 with a lot of gray area lol. I think we will draft a safety in the 5-7 range who will contribute on ST if he makes the roster but still give Legree a good competition for the final 53 and loser gets put on the practice squad.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM ]
Earlier rounders

Late rounders

Damn, wish I could access my big board from work (which I'm still working on! I don't know how you guys find the time to do it so fast!).

I'm really dissapointed with this years Safety class overall though.

But a guy you are missing is Kelcie McCray out of Arkansas State.I honsetly can't remember where I have him on my Big Board, but I really like the guy. He is raw in zone coverage and stays in back pedal too long at times, but he has great instincts, great athleticism, agressive, great in run support, big hitter.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Earlier rounders

Late rounders

Damn, wish I could access my big board from work (which I'm still working on! I don't know how you guys find the time to do it so fast!).

I'm really dissapointed with this years Safety class overall though.

But a guy you are missing is Kelcie McCray out of Arkansas State.I honsetly can't remember where I have him on my Big Board, but I really like the guy. He is raw in zone coverage and stays in back pedal too long at times, but he has great instincts, great athleticism, agressive, great in run support, big hitter.

I have one of those annoyingly analytical minds that remembers small facts so I can just look at my list and throw it out there, my list was very rough and in no way a concrete effort but just the guys I remembered off the top of my head.

McCray would be a great pick for us too, dont know why I always forget him lol.

If Trumaine Johnson can't flip his hips smoothly enough when he comes out of his backpedal, teams will begin treating him as a Safety prospect.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think Baalke already found him

6'0, 200lbs. sub 4.4 40yd dash, Hits like a truck, skills like a CB

"The San Francisco 49ers have changed the position of CB Cory Nelms to safety, after he put on about 10 pounds during the season."

2012-02-07 18:14:59 | Source: Sacramento Bee - Matt Barrows
Earlier rounders

Late rounders

i hear that iloka missed alot of tackles at boise, and the niners seem to demand their dbs tackle well
Id be fine with Trumaine Johnson or George Iloka in the second round.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Earlier rounders

Late rounders

i hear that iloka missed alot of tackles at boise, and the niners seem to demand their dbs tackle well

No worries, I'm not saying we should draft any of these. And to SD, I could've sworn I had listed McCray but I guess not. He's actually one of my favorites. Lot of potential with Kelcie.
Share 49ersWebzone