LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

safety prospects

One other guy to keep in mind is Culliver...he played S at South Carolina besides CB. He could end up being a much better version of Smith, who also played both positions. I know they like him as the nickel CB, but they might think about using him at S, too.
we are good at SS as spillman is our backup and he is very promising and colin jones could develop nicely in a couple of years.

I say if janoris jenkins falls to us at 30...we take him and move culliver to FS!!! bamm, we have one heck of a secondary!!!
With a thin safety class, who are CBs that could be converted to safety? That is the route we took with Reggie Smith and Dashon Goldsten.
considering this Draft Class of Safeties for this year Nelms and Legree are just about better than everyone else out there
I would only consider Ilotka and very few else
[ Edited by Orlando49erfan on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM ]
Don't need anymore SS.....we need a FS. Whitner, spillman, and goldson are all SS, IMO.
Originally posted by mebemused:
With a thin safety class, who are CBs that could be converted to safety? That is the route we took with Reggie Smith and Dashon Goldsten.

trumaine johnson for sure! hes big and physical....i would love him at our 2nd bc the man has versatility and is very underrated bc of his small school status
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

trumaine johnson for sure! hes big and physical....i would love him at our 2nd bc the man has versatility and is very underrated bc of his small school status

Im not that high on Johnson. I have however heard he is working hard in the off season which is nice to hear. I just dont have him rated as highly as i have seen some people project him.

I would be fine with the pick if we got him, as long as the team has no intentions of playing him at CB.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Im not that high on Johnson. I have however heard he is working hard in the off season which is nice to hear. I just dont have him rated as highly as i have seen some people project him.

I would be fine with the pick if we got him, as long as the team has no intentions of playing him at CB.

yea thats true, i see his talents benefitting more from FS.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

yea thats true, i see his talents benefitting more from FS.

He seems like he has the work ethic to transition, which is great. Just don't know if i would spend a second on a guy that's gonna be converted, and play a backup roll.
anyone know anything on markelle martin. it's hard to gauge where he will go but what i read about him, he sounds great. hard hitting, aggressive, FS, etc... maybe a 4th rounder....

I guess Mark Legree cant play FS?
but yes, im also a fan of drafting Johnson to be a FS, same measurables as Dashon Goldson. He'd be pretty successful as a FS
[ Edited by martysofresh on Apr 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM ]
If we miss out on Fleener in the 1st and end up picking an OG like Zeitler, Glenn or Osemele...what about grabbing the #1 FS in the 2nd?

George Iloka, Boise State, 6-4, 225, 2-3...Here is another interesting combination of size, speed and strength who needs to find a position. He was listed as a free safety at the scouting combine, where he proved to be a strong free safety with 20 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Iloka also was clocked in unofficial 40-yard time of 4.66 seconds. He shows excellent skills in various zone and man coverages, and his unusual size will allow him to physically deal with the NFL's biggest wide receivers. His presence gave Boise State a lot of versatility on defense, where he started his final 45 games, lined up as both a safety and a cornerback and finished his career with 231 tackles and seven interceptions

If we come out of round two with a top mauling OG and a monster FS like Iloka I wouldnt be mad! We could then draft WR's like Broyles or McNutt later.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
If we miss out on Fleener in the 1st and end up picking an OG like Zeitler, Glenn or Osemele...what about grabbing the #1 FS in the 2nd?

George Iloka, Boise State, 6-4, 225, 2-3...Here is another interesting combination of size, speed and strength who needs to find a position. He was listed as a free safety at the scouting combine, where he proved to be a strong free safety with 20 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Iloka also was clocked in unofficial 40-yard time of 4.66 seconds. He shows excellent skills in various zone and man coverages, and his unusual size will allow him to physically deal with the NFL's biggest wide receivers. His presence gave Boise State a lot of versatility on defense, where he started his final 45 games, lined up as both a safety and a cornerback and finished his career with 231 tackles and seven interceptions

If we come out of round two with a top mauling OG and a monster FS like Iloka I wouldnt be mad! We could then draft WR's like Broyles or McNutt later.

I dont put much stock in 40 times.. but a 4.6 40 at FS? No thank you. We are already the best at stopping the run, a smaller faster safety with ball skills would provide a greater benefit at FS.
ILoka is highly overrated IMO. I saw him play alot.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

I dont put much stock in 40 times.. but a 4.6 40 at FS? No thank you. We are already the best at stopping the run, a smaller faster safety with ball skills would provide a greater benefit at FS.

With a move to big athletic TEs, I think a tall FS to complement the shorter run stuffer in Whitner would be a solid pair.
Share 49ersWebzone