There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

my bottom line, you do not at any point trade up to draft for depth. I do not see any reasonable line of thinking that this guys is such a drastic improvement over Vernon Davis that not only do you not view him as just depth but you actually view him better then Vernon. I'm sorry, this is just reaching....

You add that to the fact this team actually is going to try to ressurect a 35 year old prima donna past his prime washed up reciever, a heck of a lot more needs to use the 'trade up' card on
Originally posted by ssahnan:
my bottom line, you do not at any point trade up to draft for depth. I do not see any reasonable line of thinking that this guys is such a drastic improvement over Vernon Davis that not only do you not view him as just depth but you actually view him better then Vernon. I'm sorry, this is just reaching....

You add that to the fact this team actually is going to try to ressurect a 35 year old prima donna past his prime washed up reciever, a heck of a lot more needs to use the 'trade up' card on

1. VDs role wouldn't change.
2. Alex loves throwing to backs and TEs.
3. We use 2 TE sets as much as any team in the league.
4. It's not a depth move because he'd be on the field for a minimum of 50% of offensive snaps.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
4. It's not a depth move because he'd be on the field for a minimum of 50% of offensive snaps.

need a wr, rg...I'm sorry but this whole fleener thing is just crazy. Just seems it lacks so much perspective on what really needs to be done. If/when we lose this season, it's not going to be because we didn't have coby frickin fleener as our tightend, it's going to be because we were actually the team that was stupid enuf to get suckered in to the randy moss bs or we will lose because because we didn't adequately adress the rg slot. when you step back and look at how the draft traditionally pans out, there is a much bigger chance that years down the road no one even remembers who fleener is then it being a situation where he is anything of any worth. Maybe I'm just too damn old but sorry, this just sounds so dumb, trade up for cody frickin fleener, really?

need a wr, rg...I'm sorry but this whole fleener thing is just crazy. Just seems it lacks so much perspective on what really needs to be done. If/when we lose this season, it's not going to be because we didn't have coby frickin fleener as our tightend, it's going to be because we were actually the team that was stupid enuf to get suckered in to the randy moss bs or we will lose because because we didn't adequately adress the rg slot. when you step back and look at how the draft traditionally pans out, there is a much bigger chance that years down the road no one even remembers who fleener is then it being a situation where he is anything of any worth. Maybe I'm just too damn old but sorry, this just sounds so dumb, trade up for cody frickin fleener, really?

A TE who can run a 4.5 or slightly sub 4.5 forty, who has hands in the outstanding category, 6'6" height and super long arms and big hands. For a team that struggles dearly with 3rd downs and redzone and doesn't have big enough sure handed targets. And all this after the NFL has seen what Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham can do when unleased upon the NFL. Yeah dumb....

fleener lines up wide alot, essentially playing wide recevier
  • buck
  • Veteran
sey
[ Edited by buck on Apr 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM ]

get suckered into the randy moss bs? lol i guess JH is a moron cuz he doesn't know what to look for in a player workout and i guess we way overpaid for him too lol

I disagree. Depth is essentially what he'd be. So long as Vernon Davis is on the roster 50% of the offensive plays would be Fleener's ceiling and would be no better than the number 2 TE option on 90% of the plays he's on the field. I can't see how this is good draft management.
No
Originally posted by buck:
I would trade our first in 2013 and our third this year for Fleener.

I would use pick #30 on Stephen Hill.

I don't think we have enough cap room to do that.
Very funny
Crabtree,Mario,Moss,Vernon and Fleener. Best chance to spread any defense.... My first pick was Wallace but it d*esn't look like that will happen so fleener is my second choice. WIth those 5 guys they should cause defenses around the league a lot of problems imo.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Crabtree,Mario,Moss,Vernon and Fleener. Best chance to spread any defense.... My first pick was Wallace but it d*esn't look like that will happen so fleener is my second choice. WIth those 5 guys they should cause defenses around the league a lot of problems imo.

fyi

i would love fleener as well but kendall wright almost exact same as mike wallace

also would love to get floyd
With his hands, hieght ,speed and being able to line up as a wide receiver. Win win situation. He will open it up for Vernon and Crabtree. So YES
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I disagree. Depth is essentially what he'd be. So long as Vernon Davis is on the roster 50% of the offensive plays would be Fleener's ceiling and would be no better than the number 2 TE option on 90% of the plays he's on the field. I can't see how this is good draft management.

Davis is 28, unless he is Darrell Green and stays sub 4.4 until he is 35 there is no way Davis will be his 23 year old 4.3 speed nightmare in another couple of years. Getting someone who can take the pressure of him AND crabtree is huge. Whether its a TE or WR and a 4.5 6-6 WR/TE like Fleener is pretty much a Godsend at this point.

Did you watch Luck's "QB Camp" with Gruden - They talk about how frequently the TE's and FB's(or H-Back) are utilized in the offense. IF JH is really trying to run a carbon copy of his offense from Stanford then we will start seeing more 2 or 3 TE sets this coming season with 1 receiver like Crabtree,Manningham or Moss lining up outwide with VD on the opposite side and Fleener and Byham, Walker, or Bruce Miller lining up with the OL or in the backfield.

1 QB
1 RB
1 FB
2 TE(or 3 TE if we take away the FB)
1 WR(or 2 WRs if we take away the FB)
5 OL

you're being short sighted because of how the NFCC played out. When people say we need to upgrade our "receiving corp" you can be 1 sided and say it was all the WRs but think about if you have 2 or 3 incredibly good TEs you dont need 5 incredibly good WRs you just need 3 or 4 and right now we have those 3 or 4 incredibly good wrs with Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, and depth with Williams and Ginn. If we could add Fleener to a TE group of Davis, Walker, Byham/Reuland then good lord our offense would be mean as hell. We're still going to add a WR in the draft but I'm not convinced it'll be earlier then round 3.