There are 321 users in the forums

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Guys, remember, Fleener may be a TE on paper, but we want and have to have good hands guys, be they WR or TE , who can get open. I believe Fleener is that guy, and since it is unlikely the WR we need is going to fall into our laps, I would indeed move up to get him. This arguing about WR vs TE is not germane. Good hands and getting open is.
You do realize there's a difference between the two positions, and that difference has nothing to do with good hands. We have WR's and TE's already on our roster with good hands. Hell, we have FB's and RBs with good hands. We wouldn't be having this debate if that were the case. Drafting an un-needed position in the 1st is one thing. But trading up to get it is all together another. As I said earlier in this thread we can get very good TE's as late as round 4. There's simply no need to burn our 1st round pick on a TE, much less trade UP to get one.
Well if he is able to fo
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
True, Alex does seem to click with TE's. But there are other tall TE's available in the draft later. The problem I have with him is... I doubt he will be a good run & pass blocker in the NFL. With Harbaugh's system, I believe our TE's need to be able to do all 3 (receive, runblock, passblock). Would be a nice pick in the 2nd tho.

He did fine as a blocker in college. Its amazing that you suggest picking TE's later on in the draft where guys like Green and Egnew will be drafted and they are both HORRENDOUS blockers, but Fleener who has a fair-amount of blocking experience, has tremendous intelligence and experience in the system will somehow be incapable of learning to block better.

With TE's drafted later, we can groom them over time. Trading up for Fleener? That means he's gonna be on the field alot. How versatile is he besides receiving which I acknowledge he can be lethal in the right system.

Force rce a DE to cover rather than Rush. I dont agree with trading up but if hes there then cool.
Trading up for a player, I don't mind, but how much is the issue. I can't see Baalke mortgaging the house so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if this draft we come away with less than the seven picks allocated. Like 4 picks total. Fleener had a guy named luck to make him look good, but if the niners draft him the plus is that he will be more familiar with the offense than any wr or te we can bring in and will more than likely hit the ground running. His weight/size and blocking will be enhanced in the coming years. However, someone said that at the pro day he actually measured 6" 5" and not 6' 6." Still we already have Jeff Reuland a receiving TE from Stanford, not as big, but was supposed to have good hands and needs to work on his blocking and get bigger, so I don't know. They may not draft a TE. More likely a guard with the first pick.

BTW, what ever happen with the taylor mays trade, were we not supposed to get a 7 for him this year, must have been sleeping.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Trading up for a player, I don't mind, but how much is the issue. I can't see Baalke mortgaging the house so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if this draft we come away with less than the seven picks allocated. Like 4 picks total. Fleener had a guy named luck to make him look good, but if the niners draft him the plus is that he will be more familiar with the offense than any wr or te we can bring in and will more than likely hit the ground running. His weight/size and blocking will be enhanced in the coming years. However, someone said that at the pro day he actually measured 6" 5" and not 6' 6." Still we already have Jeff Reuland a receiving TE from Stanford, not as big, but was supposed to have good hands and needs to work on his blocking and get bigger, so I don't know. They may not draft a TE. More likely a guard with the first pick.

BTW, what ever happen with the taylor mays trade, were we not supposed to get a 7 for him this year, must have been sleeping.

He's close enough to 6-6. To be exact, he's 6'5 3/4". Comparing his Pro Day to Rob Gronkowski:

Coby Fleener
6-5 3/4 247
40 time: 4.45 - 4.51
Bench: 27 reps
Vertical: 37 inches

Rob Gronkowski
6-6 1/4 258
40 time: 4.65 - 4.74
Bench: 23 reps
Vertical: 33 1/2 inches

I think Fleener could go to Denver.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I think Fleener will be there at 30 but he had a good pro day so I'll probably be wrong
[ Edited by toeshawn on Mar 31, 2012 at 9:06 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Guys, remember, Fleener may be a TE on paper, but we want and have to have good hands guys, be they WR or TE , who can get open. I believe Fleener is that guy, and since it is unlikely the WR we need is going to fall into our laps, I would indeed move up to get him. This arguing about WR vs TE is not germane. Good hands and getting open is.

I'll tell you something. I truly LOVE the idea of Fleener being on the 49ers, but here is why I wouldn't move up for him.

A. There is a lot of talent all over this draft, this team needs depth at safety, on the offensive line, at WR and other positions, they should just go best player available at each pick.

B. As good as Fleener is, and I think he can be a monster in the NFL, he does have some injury questions involving his back which can be a scary thing. I don't think the concerns are too serious but the injury did prevent him from working out to add necessary bulk last year and limit him in practices...etc. That concern of injury is the main reason I'd rather let the guy get drafted than give up extra picks to bring him in.

I could be totally fine with Egnew or Green but both of those guys would take time to develop and need A LOT, A LOT of work at blocking but have good natural traits that could let them develop into top TE's. In anycase, I think this team really needs to look at adding depth at safey, an injury to Goldson or Whitner or both....could be pretty brutal at this point.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 31, 2012 at 9:26 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He's close enough to 6-6. To be exact, he's 6'5 3/4". Comparing his Pro Day to Rob Gronkowski:

Coby Fleener
6-5 3/4 247
40 time: 4.45 - 4.51
Bench: 27 reps
Vertical: 37 inches

Rob Gronkowski
6-6 1/4 258
40 time: 4.65 - 4.74
Bench: 23 reps
Vertical: 33 1/2 inches

I think Fleener could go to Denver.

This. Fleener would be like a newer, more athletic, upgraded version of Dallas Clark for Manning to throw to.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Fleener love reminds me of the Quentin Groves obsession that happened here a few years back.

If the 49ers pass on Fleener, this place is gonna go apes**t. Stupid.

Come om man that's a crappy example cause the guy we picked was trash also...so everyone sucked including the front office. Btw should've takin DJax!
Fleener love reminds me of the Quentin Groves obsession that happened here a few years back.

Come om man that's a crappy example cause the guy we picked was trash also...so everyone sucked including the front office. Btw should've takin DJax!
Or Adam Carriker , Aaron Maybin, David Green, etc...

Yea, if they pass on Fleener, lot of these posters will cry Baalke is a terrible GM. I bet most of them would pick Fleener with the #1 pick overall, geeez

umm...everyone wanted Patrick Wills, no one wanted under sized Maybin, who?????
Originally posted by bALLSOhARD:

No there was a serious debate between picking Carriker or Willis, therre more than a few who were truly butt-hurt about then 49ers taking Willis.

"f**k THIS GUY, he won't help our pass rush, this won't improve the pass-rush, another waste of a pick."

Or Adam Carriker , Aaron Maybin, David Green, etc...

Yea, if they pass on Fleener, lot of these posters will cry Baalke is a terrible GM. I bet most of them would pick Fleener with the #1 pick overall, geeez

The Webzone was DYING for the 49ers to pick Quentin Groves. I'm sure Fleener will be a better pro, but the Zone seems to fall in love with a guy and then put blinders on to the rest of the options.

The Zone would lose their s**t if we passed on Fleener... even though we already have 3TE's on the roster and it's not a position of need (and yes, I get the arguments for drafting him because D-Love is overrated and Belichick and redzone opportunities and blah blah blah).

I personally think we should take a G/C or help the secondary or get a WR, but what do I know?
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Mar 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM ]
I'm a big fan of Vernon and Walker....imo, Walker would do much better if he were on another team, to put it nicely. So I don't think he is "overrated".

but I want us to get Fleener as well. I can see us making it work with 3 TEs. We could have player makers as TEs and not have to over commit $$$ wise with WRs down the road. We just bring in Vets for 1 or 2 year contracts or low round picks.

a 3TE set with Vernon, Walker, and Fleener on 2nd or 3rd and shorts would be deadly....we could easily make huge plays with teams worried about giving up a first down.....or we could easily get first downs, with teams worried about not giving up huge plays.

we saw how dangerous and how much we had to commit to try to slow down Jimmy Graham...even with our defense. Having a mismatch with a TE like that is worth making a move for.

I mean, just look at how he looks at dude after the play like "you really thought you had a chance, huh dummy?"

[ Edited by Afrikan on Mar 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM ]

There where alot of people that wanted Carriker not patrick wills and even more that wanted C J Spiller.
[ Edited by dlance on Mar 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Fleener is a Good 2nd TE behind VD of course not a good blocker but a matchup problem in the passing game. Teams should not trade up for a one dimensional player just my opinion.

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Fleener is a Good 2nd TE behind VD of course not a good blocker but a matchup problem in the passing game. Teams should not trade up for a one dimensional player just my opinion.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well the best WR's will be gone by #30 or #25 or #22 or whatever if we trade up. But one of the best "receiving targets" in this draft is Fleener. He just doesn't play WR. He's a TE. But with Alex it's clear he has far better chemistry with TE's anyway and prefers a big target with separation ability. 2 things Fleener can certainly do. IMO he's more valuable to this team than many because of how we play and who our QB is and what his comfort zones are.

I wonder if teams wish they would have tradeed up for jimmy graham last year?
I don't see how Denver passes up on him.
Share 49ersWebzone