There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My Ideal, realistic offseason

Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit:
First post. Gonna start it off with a bang and maybe make myself an enemy early in the game with nickbradley.

I agree with just about everyone that these offseason projections are pretty unrealistic but I think you're looking in the right places. Firstly, like others have already said, Stephen Hill is not going to be available with our second pick - barring a freak leg injury. He might be gone before our first pick. This should be enough evidence to prove that thinking he's a third rounder with 2nd round upside is unfounded optimism:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/chad-reuter/90101
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php
http://walterfootball.com/combine2012stock4.php

Secondly, it might not be so realistic to think Garcon is going to be in our price range, especially if you project us to resign all the vets you have listed. He's apparently already turned down a potentially lucrative deal from the Colts, so he's going to try to get whatever money he can and plans to test free agency. Maybe he's overvaluing himself and the market limits his price but I doubt it. If anything he's going to get overpaid, just like Mario Manningham, because the market might have less top end talent than expected (I'm sure this has been discussed on this board). The likelihood is that Vincent Jackson is the only elite receiver that comes free after Desean and Bowe are tagged and Wallace is resigned or tendered, pushing up the values of guys like Garcon and Manningham.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/report-pierre-garcon-turns-down-contract-offer-from-colts/

Personally, I'm not against signing Steve Hutchinson if he has anything left in the tank, but if he has anything left in the tank he isn't going to sign cheap, and while Baalke has already proven he's sneaky good at signing undervalued FAs I doubt Rex Ryan wouldn't jump at the chance to overpay Hutch, or the Saints might look to try sign him to fill the void by Carl Nicks who is probably going to leave after the Saints eat up there cap room by franchising Brees (which is looking like it's going to have to happen, check nfl.com).

Peyton Hillis is a lost cause. You can draft guys like him in the late rounds with less baggage and lower cap numbers.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy. I like Brandon Washington in the third if that's any consolation.

Hutch will be cheap because he's older and there is a risk of injury -- With a rookie and Snyder there, we mitigate that risk. Also, we can offer him a second chance at a ring -- few other teams can.

Writing Hillis of as a lost cause is absurd. He's had one bad year -- he's not a one-year wonder:

In 2008 as a *rookie*, he averaged 5 yards per carry (68 carries) and 13 yards per catch (14 catches). 6 TDs! McDaniels didn't like him and benched him in 2009.
I agree that Hillis can be a solid goal line/power back. He's got some talent. But he's the kind of player that needs to go all out on every single play to be effective, due to his style of play, and not only did injuries become an obstacle to his effort, he straight up quit on his team. That's unacceptable regardless of your talent level, and is huge red flag, the kind of thing that Baalke has yet to look past when bringing new players into the fold (I suppose an argument can be for Braylon). If he gets the kind of contract he's looking for I can imagine Hillis playing well, trying to prove his detractors wrong, but I doubt he'll play his heart out for the type of contract he'd receive to come here and essentially be our third back. I highly doubt he'd be useful in any scenario beyond short yardage duties, and certainly wouldn't give us the special teams effort that we at least get from Dixon.

Also, keep in mind Hillis was a 7th round pick. Is it worth bringing in a guy that could be a potentially bad influence in our locker room for more money than we'd pay a young, driven, cheap late round prospect with talent and the kind of mentality that fits Harbaugh's vision for the team?
Hillis is crap.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by ninersfan23:
After his combine hes projected as a early to mid 2nd rounder and they said with a good pro day he could be a late first round talent. And I see your reasoning on Fleener but we have bigger holes to fill and I just dont see that happening.

Projected by who???

did you watch the combine? mayock and davis both stated they had to re evalate there notes cuz this kid was way better than they thought. they both said that he had prolly moved up big time based on what thy saw him do, and will move up more if he does well at the pro day.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
i love the realistic offseason that starts off with signing Steve Hutchinson for a "low price".

you made me laugh
  • Paul
  • Veteran

Re-Sign:
- QB Alex Smith
- OLB Ahmad Brooks
- CB Carlos Rogers
- S Dashon Goldson (Tag?)
- OL Adam Snyder
- WR Josh Morgan
- KR/PR Ted Ginn

Free Agency:
- WR Pierre Garcon
- G Steve Hutchinson (cheap)
- RB Peyton Hillis (cheap)

Draft:
- 1st Round: TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
- 2nd Round: WR Stephen Hill, GA Tech
- 3rd Round: OG Brandon Washington, Miami

I don't feel that we re-sign all the fa's that we have.... I could see maybe Garcon but something tells me he's going to get a big pay day from someone.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
LOL at hill being there for our 2nd pick, dude might not even fall to us in the 1st

McShay is saying 2nd round now.

And Peyton Hillis has major ball security issues. Do not want.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Hutchinson and Hillis wont be cheap and Hill wont make it to our pick in the 2nd round. This is very unrealistic

agree
I agree with the OP on everything except 2 points. 1) I don't want to get hillis in FA. 2) I don't think Hill will be available for us in the 2nd.
Hutchinson and Hillis wont be cheap and Hill wont make it to our pick in the 2nd round. This is very unrealistic

this
No thanks on Hillis. I don't want a RB who puts himself before the team, has fumbling problems, and is injury prone. Before you know both he and gore will be injured and they'll have to pick up a guy off the street.
Free Agency:- WR Pierre Garcon- G Steve Hutchinson (cheap)- RB Peyton Hillis (cheap)

uhh no freakin way we spend that much
Harbaugh + white rb = money
None of the mocks have him up there yet. He's a so-so route runner with amazing speed. Some mocks have him in the 4th round.

So you have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL @ using pre-combine MOCK drafts as an argument.
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit:
First post. Gonna start it off with a bang and maybe make myself an enemy early in the game with nickbradley.

I agree with just about everyone that these offseason projections are pretty unrealistic but I think you're looking in the right places. Firstly, like others have already said, Stephen Hill is not going to be available with our second pick - barring a freak leg injury. He might be gone before our first pick. This should be enough evidence to prove that thinking he's a third rounder with 2nd round upside is unfounded optimism:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/chad-reuter/90101
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php
http://walterfootball.com/combine2012stock4.php

Secondly, it might not be so realistic to think Garcon is going to be in our price range, especially if you project us to resign all the vets you have listed. He's apparently already turned down a potentially lucrative deal from the Colts, so he's going to try to get whatever money he can and plans to test free agency. Maybe he's overvaluing himself and the market limits his price but I doubt it. If anything he's going to get overpaid, just like Mario Manningham, because the market might have less top end talent than expected (I'm sure this has been discussed on this board). The likelihood is that Vincent Jackson is the only elite receiver that comes free after Desean and Bowe are tagged and Wallace is resigned or tendered, pushing up the values of guys like Garcon and Manningham.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/report-pierre-garcon-turns-down-contract-offer-from-colts/

Personally, I'm not against signing Steve Hutchinson if he has anything left in the tank, but if he has anything left in the tank he isn't going to sign cheap, and while Baalke has already proven he's sneaky good at signing undervalued FAs I doubt Rex Ryan wouldn't jump at the chance to overpay Hutch, or the Saints might look to try sign him to fill the void by Carl Nicks who is probably going to leave after the Saints eat up there cap room by franchising Brees (which is looking like it's going to have to happen, check nfl.com).

Peyton Hillis is a lost cause. You can draft guys like him in the late rounds with less baggage and lower cap numbers.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy. I like Brandon Washington in the third if that's any consolation.

Nice first post

Agreed.