There are 188 users in the forums

My Ideal, realistic offseason

My Ideal, realistic offseason. I think signing Steve Hutchinson at a low price for 2 years to start at Guard is a fantastic idea. Snyder would continue to be our 6th O-lineman, and we should draft a young guard in the 3rd or 4th round to groom. Peyton Hillis will be good value in free agency too -- 3-headed monster at RB to help with short yardage and insurance against Gore going down (we weren't good on short yardage last year). Garcon is a great value signing at WR. In the draft, Fleener would be a great pickup at #30. Stephen Hill is a deep threat/burner to pick up in the second round, and a guard to groom in the 3rd is a good idea.

The thing about all these signings and picks is that none of them are "flashy", they're all value signings and picks, with the possible exception of Peyton Hillis. This is Baalke's style.

Re-Sign:
- QB Alex Smith
- OLB Ahmad Brooks
- CB Carlos Rogers
- S Dashon Goldson (Tag?)
- OL Adam Snyder
- WR Josh Morgan
- KR/PR Ted Ginn

Free Agency:
- WR Pierre Garcon
- G Steve Hutchinson (cheap)
- RB Peyton Hillis (cheap)

Draft:
- 1st Round: TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
- 2nd Round: WR Stephen Hill, GA Tech
- 3rd Round: OG Brandon Washington, Miami
[ Edited by nickbradley on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM ]
Hutchinson and Hillis wont be cheap and Hill wont make it to our pick in the 2nd round. This is very unrealistic
Hillis quit on his team last year to preserve himself for a better contract. Not to mention he's a one year wonder. I wouldn't want him at all. Get a young hungry back. Everything else is cool. I'd use that 3rd rounder on a corner or some d line/olb depth. If you have Hutch and Synder then why spend a 3rd rounder this year on another guard?
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM ]
LOL at hill being there for our 2nd pick, dude might not even fall to us in the 1st
Originally posted by valrod33:
Hutchinson and Hillis wont be cheap and Hill wont make it to our pick in the 2nd round. This is very unrealistic

Hutch might go for the league minimum after being cut. He's a 35 year old guard.

Niners Nation explained a move to Sign Hillis nicely:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/1/24/2730556/2012-nfl-free-agents-peyton-hillis-san-francisco-49ers
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
LOL at hill being there for our 2nd pick, dude might not even fall to us in the 1st

None of the mocks have him up there yet. He's a so-so route runner with amazing speed. Some mocks have him in the 4th round.

So you have no idea what you're talking about.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Hillis quit on his team last year to preserve himself for a better contract. Not to mention he's a one year wonder. I wouldn't want him at all. Get a young hungry back. Everything else is cool. I'd use that 3rd rounder on a corner or some d line/olb depth. If you have Hutch and Synder then why spend a 3rd rounder this year on another guard?

Because Snyder can play Tackle and Center too. And I don't want a rookie liability at guard. Let him sit behind Hutch for a year or two and he'll be a beast in '13 or '14.

Hillis would be a 8-10 carry a game power back.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/1/24/2730556/2012-nfl-free-agents-peyton-hillis-san-francisco-49ers
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Hutch might go for the league minimum after being cut. He's a 35 year old guard.

I stopped reading after this paragraph

Perhaps that's not the Peyton you were expecting, but to me, he's the perfect fit. Hillis is a power running back who had a monster season in 2010, before being simultaneously struck down by the dreaded Madden Curse and the realization that he does in fact play for the Cleveland Browns. First, there were a lot of issues with his contract, and then he was "sick," which led to many question whether or not he was faking an injury.

Perhaps that's not the Peyton you were expecting, but to me, he's the perfect fit. Hillis is a power running back who had a monster season in 2010, before being simultaneously struck down by the dreaded Madden Curse and the realization that he does in fact play for the Cleveland Browns. First, there were a lot of issues with his contract, and then he was "sick," which led to many question whether or not he was faking an injury.

Why? His bubble has popped and now we can get him as a power back at an affordable price. He's only 26.

Please, do a mental comparison between him and Harbaugh's power backs at Stanford.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

None of the mocks have him up there yet. He's a so-so route runner with amazing speed. Some mocks have him in the 4th round.

So you have no idea what you're talking about.

After his combine hes projected as a early to mid 2nd rounder and they said with a good pro day he could be a late first round talent. And I see your reasoning on Fleener but we have bigger holes to fill and I just dont see that happening.

Why? His bubble has popped and now we can get him as a power back at an affordable price. He's only 26.

Please, do a mental comparison between him and Harbaugh's power backs at Stanford.
If he comes cheap and is willing to be our goaline and short yardage back then Id be fine with it because thats all he is worth. He quit on his team, he faked injuries this dude does not fit our team
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
payton hillis?? oh lawd
Id rather draft Turbin than sign this dude.

Gore
Hunter
Turbin for short yardage situations
Originally posted by ninersfan23:
After his combine hes projected as a early to mid 2nd rounder and they said with a good pro day he could be a late first round talent. And I see your reasoning on Fleener but we have bigger holes to fill and I just dont see that happening.

Projected by who???

Not feeling the "Hillis" project at all......... He is not the answer at RB......
Share 49ersWebzone