There are 158 users in the forums

MadDog's Pre-Combine Big 100 Board

Stephon Diggs may have just tweeted his way into unsigned free agent status.
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Whats your opinion on Alshon Jeffery now that we know he isnt 240+ lbs?

I am impressed that he has trimmed down for the combine. It shows that there is some form of dedication. At the same time, I am still not high on his ability to be anything more than a good red zone target. I don't see very good route running skills, and is not explosive off the line of scrimmage. To me, I still have him toward the bottom of my top 10 WR's in this draft, and give him a third round grade. In the end, I expect a disappointing NFL career.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
No thoughts on this anyone?

seriously, how is he not considered top 100?

at one point he was thought of as a future top 10. he's got talent, and is a definitely great value. frank ain't gonna last forever, and no sense getting hunter beat down after frank steps aside.

He has the wheels, but does he have the mind and body to be a top 100 draftee. The kid has a lot of strikes against him. He is a 5'8", 194 pound back, with smaller than average hands, comes from a sad background, and has an arrest on the record. I think he emerges a 4th or 5th rounder at best, depending on how many teams take him off their board.

I think if he's convincing in his statement that he's matured from that, he'll go in the later half of the 3rd.

WOW, back half of the 3rd to the 5th?

that is what you call a steal. what an opportunuty to grab talent if he drops because of those reasons. at the end of the day, the kid can straight play, don't let other factors overshadow that imo. could be a GREAT steal for someone if he goes that low.

There is just too much talent to consider James a serious contender to go in the 2nd round. This is a deep draft collectively. This isn't to say it's impossible that James goes sooner, but right now it really looks like this impressive talent pool will push players like James into the 3rd, or farther.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Hey MadDog what do you think of Cyrus Gray???

He's probably a fourth rounder who could sneak into the top 100 picks with a solid workout. His medical report will be gigantic on his shoulder, and I tend to be a bit skeptical about the result. Call it a hunch, but this may keep him in that fourth round area.

I am much higher on Mississippi St RB Vick Ballard, who is more of a three down back. I liked his overall performance during Senior Bowl week, and think he is kid of lost in the RB shuffle, but a guy I put a second round grade on. I think some team will have a starter with him.
There is just too much talent to consider James a serious contender to go in the 2nd round. This is a deep draft collectively. This isn't to say it's impossible that James goes sooner, but right now it really looks like this impressive talent pool will push players like James into the 3rd, or farther.

Agreed. When Chris Rainey runs a sub 4.3 forty this week, guys like James, who fit into that same smaller back catagory, begin to fall a bit on the board.
Hey MadDog what do you think of Cyrus Gray???

He's probably a fourth rounder who could sneak into the top 100 picks with a solid workout. His medical report will be gigantic on his shoulder, and I tend to be a bit skeptical about the result. Call it a hunch, but this may keep him in that fourth round area.

I am much higher on Mississippi St RB Vick Ballard, who is more of a three down back. I liked his overall performance during Senior Bowl week, and think he is kid of lost in the RB shuffle, but a guy I put a second round grade on. I think some team will have a starter with him.

I feel about the same on Ballard. I'd like to watch a little more before I lock him down as a 2nd round talent, but my impressions of him from what I've seen is that he is VERY similar to Frank Gore. Almost identical really. Runs low, displaying great balance and vision, deceptive speed in the open field, will bounce off of arm tackles, and can power through for extra yardage.

Really, as you say, a kind of "lost in the mix" talent.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM ]

Agreed. When Chris Rainey runs a sub 4.3 forty this week, guys like James, who fit into that same smaller back catagory, begin to fall a bit on the board.

I hope the niners are on the lookout for good players who get pushed down for reasons like small hands or other player's 40s.

At the end of the day, nothin overshadows tape imo, and James just has it during games.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Peter Konz only managed to put up 18 reps.

Ben Jones put up 29.

Garth Gerhart, whose arms are longer than Konz's, put up 25 reps.

This can not help Konz.

It makes it look like he did not put much effort into preparing.
Originally posted by fister30:

who? what position and what'd he say?
edit: just found out he's an 18 y/o freshman... what he said isn't even that offensive. People tell other people who are fans of a certain player to get off their ____ all the time. People are seriously wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too sensitive.
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Feb 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM ]

Ignore this, High School Senior tweeted something kind racist about Jeremy Lin, non issue since the dude is not eligible to be in the draft
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Ignore this, High School freshman tweeted something kind racist about Jeremy Lin, non issue since the dude is not eligible to be in the draft

Think he is a high school senior that just got recruited to Maryland. Not even close to the draft.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM ]
18 reps for Konz. LOL Maddog.. still think he is a better prospect than Kalil?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Yes. He handled some pretty strong physical defenders very well the past couple years in Jerel Worthy, Mike Martin and Devon Still, so I don't think one bench press makes a career. He'll be just fine.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM ]

I don't think the bench reps mean as much in terms of a players talent, but 18 is disappointing.

That said, I think Kalil is a better prospect by hype. We'll see what Konz does as his pro-day before I move Kalil above him on the 49er BPA board.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM ]

I don't think the bench reps mean as much in terms of a players talent, but 18 is disappointing.

That said, I think Kalil is a better prospect by hype. We'll see what Konz does as his pro-day before I move Kalil above him on the 49er BPA board.
Kalil is much more than just hype. Maybe MD and you dont watch many USC games but the guy is a great pass blocker. I just dont see anyway Konz would be rated ahead of him on any teams board. Not saying that he isnt a very good player but NO way he is a better prospect than Kalil. Stud OTs are worth WAY more than centers.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone