LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

MadDog's Pre-Combine Big 100 Board

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Do you have Martin higher than Kalil on your "Best Available?"

No, but I have some of the interior OL graded higher than any of the OT.

Really? Who would you have higher than Kalil other than perhaps DeCastro and Konz? I would disagree on you with both however having watched pretty much every USC game and seeing what a great pass blocker Kalil is. Also, the fact that a LT is just so much more valuable than an interior lineman would make me give Kalil a higher grade.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Nick Perry reminds me a little of Aldon. Heard any comparisons?

I see them very differently. Perry is shorter, with much shorter arms. I think their games are quite different.

Doesn't Perry remind you of Suggs dude?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Maddog/OTC:
Thank you both for all of your feedback. I would like your personal ratings of how you rank the top 150 in terms of quality for you and then a list of players that you think that the Niners would be interested in. Thank you for indulging us.

I think it is a good draft for interior lineman on both sides, pretty weak for 4-3 DE, a downer for OT's and CB's with any size and overrated for tall WR's. I tend to think many of the smaller midget WR's will have a bigger impact.

As for Niners' targets, think bigger, more physical players on both sides on the edge. Sanu is a player Harbaugh would love. I see the team looking at a taller CB like Minnifield, Norman. High character, hard working physical players. Maybe a Brandon Brooks at guard, Cam Johnson at OLB, Vick Ballard, Derek Wolfe, Josh Chapman

While agree that the niners will look for physical players, I think they will also look for speed. The only offensive player on the team known for speed-Davis-made the most offensive impact (I know Ginn has speed, but is barely an offensive player, as he only plays offensive when injuries dictate). I see versatility being the key. DBs that can play receiver for a few plays and catch punts. WRs that can run down the middle, RBs that can line up on the outside, etc. I see Harbaugh similar to Billichek in that regard. Boykin and Sanu are the guys that I specifically have in mind. I know Boykin is far smaller than we prefer, but he does bring that versatility that I think we'll target.
MD - back to Sanu. While I am heartened you are so high on him, I'm having a hard time becoming a believer. I desperately am looking for that #1 WR to possibly get us to Super Bowl. I must be missing something with this guy (although I only saw 2 games) and realize he's only a Jr, but could you expand why you think he will be coveted by Harbaugh. Thanks.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Really? Who would you have higher than Kalil other than perhaps DeCastro and Konz? I would disagree on you with both however having watched pretty much every USC game and seeing what a great pass blocker Kalil is. Also, the fact that a LT is just so much more valuable than an interior lineman would make me give Kalil a higher grade.

I grade Cordy Glenn higher than Kalil, as well. I simply think all three are better than him.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
MD - back to Sanu. While I am heartened you are so high on him, I'm having a hard time becoming a believer. I desperately am looking for that #1 WR to possibly get us to Super Bowl. I must be missing something with this guy (although I only saw 2 games) and realize he's only a Jr, but could you expand why you think he will be coveted by Harbaugh. Thanks.

Versatile (ran the Wildcat effectively at Rutgers), great hands, fiesty on the field, tough as nails, really fits the WCO, and most importantly, the best blocking WR in the draft, which I think Harbaugh greatly values in WR. He is not a big separation guy, but if yOu throw it around him, he is going to catch it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ishkabibel:

Versatile (ran the Wildcat effectively at Rutgers), great hands, fiesty on the field, tough as nails, really fits the WCO, and most importantly, the best blocking WR in the draft, which I think Harbaugh greatly values in WR. He is not a big separation guy, but if yOu throw it around him, he is going to catch it.

Sanu would be my selection also.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Do you think Coples sees a big drop from that top 5 area, and out of the top 10? His senior season has been pretty bad, and despite a good Senior Bowl performance, it's hard to imagine that it mitigates his entire last season of poor play. I know he's good the size/measurables that teams want, but does his tape justify a a pick in the top 10?
People are saying he had a season of poor play but in his one supposedly amazing season he had 59 tackles 15.5 for a loss and 10 sacks. In his season of poor play that people are talking about he had 55 tackles, 15 for a loss and 7.5 sacks. So in his supposedly amazing season he had 25.5 plays behind the line of scrimmage and in his supposed poor season he had 22.5 plays behind the line of scrimmage. He seems to be decently consistent to me. Not necessarily saying he's going to turn out as an excellent prospect but from one season to the next his season looked similar.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
People are saying he had a season of poor play but in his one supposedly amazing season he had 59 tackles 15.5 for a loss and 10 sacks. In his season of poor play that people are talking about he had 55 tackles, 15 for a loss and 7.5 sacks. So in his supposedly amazing season he had 25.5 plays behind the line of scrimmage and in his supposed poor season he had 22.5 plays behind the line of scrimmage. He seems to be decently consistent to me. Not necessarily saying he's going to turn out as an excellent prospect but from one season to the next his season looked similar.

You aren't factoring blown coverages, bad angles, or just bonehead plays in general.

Much more to football than stats.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
While agree that the niners will look for physical players, I think they will also look for speed. The only offensive player on the team known for speed-Davis-made the most offensive impact (I know Ginn has speed, but is barely an offensive player, as he only plays offensive when injuries dictate). I see versatility being the key. DBs that can play receiver for a few plays and catch punts. WRs that can run down the middle, RBs that can line up on the outside, etc. I see Harbaugh similar to Billichek in that regard. Boykin and Sanu are the guys that I specifically have in mind. I know Boykin is far smaller than we prefer, but he does bring that versatility that I think we'll target.

I like Boykin and thought he was the best cover corner during Senior Bowl week outside Jenkins

I like Boykin and thought he was the best cover corner during Senior Bowl week outside Jenkins

I do too, as I stated. However I struggle with the idea of CBs his size in the NFL. Not a lot of successful CBs under 6ft
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I do too, as I stated. However I struggle with the idea of CBs his size in the NFL. Not a lot of successful CBs under 6ft

He's listed at 5'10"... dunno if that's legit, but if so, that's plenty tall enough. I'd say more successful CBs are under 6 ft than over. Revis, Joseph, our own Tarrell Brown, Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, dunta robinson, Asante Samuel, you get the idea.

I grade Cordy Glenn higher than Kalil, as well. I simply think all three are better than him.

Maybe although I doubt that Glenn will be. DeCastro certainly might. However, a left tackle is so much more important than an interior lineman that I wouldnt take any of the guys you named ahead of Kalil.
Maybe although I doubt that Glenn will be. DeCastro certainly might. However, a left tackle is so much more important than an interior lineman that I wouldnt take any of the guys you named ahead of Kalil.

Normally I would agree with you. I simply think DeCastro, Konz and Glenn are exceptional players.
Originally posted by dhp318:
He's listed at 5'10"... dunno if that's legit, but if so, that's plenty tall enough. I'd say more successful CBs are under 6 ft than over. Revis, Joseph, our own Tarrell Brown, Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, dunta robinson, Asante Samuel, you get the idea.

He came in at 5'9 1/4" at the Senior Bowl. To me, that is also a concern in a league full of tall WR. At the same time, he is a terrific player. Very torn on the issue. In a perfect world, I would rather see a talented 6' guy than a guy barely over 5'9" but they are rare. That is why guys like Minnifield, Norman, Gilmore carry so much more demand on draft day.
Share 49ersWebzone