LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

OTC's First Mock of 2012

We didn't have too many significant injuries on the D side of the ball this year. There is unproven depth in the DL and LB ranks. Constanzo and Colin Jones have been superstars on ST, though.
Originally posted by ninergold:
We didn't have too many significant injuries on the D side of the ball this year. There is unproven depth in the DL and LB ranks. Constanzo and Colin Jones have been superstars on ST, though.

I agree with this too. We definitely need to make sure we have our bases covered. McDonald has been nicked a bit from time to time each season. RJF is very good depth for what McDonald's style is, but I'd like to have a guy who is good depth for what JUSTIN SMITH'S style is (I do think Dobbs if fully developed could be similar actually, but we can't be too sure just yet). Someone who can power through (although power PLUS speed would be great too) is a must, they often command double-teams. McDonald is more speed + technique/leverage. Justin is quickness + POWER + technique/leverage. J.J. Watt is a Justin Smith type.

There are a few Justin Smith/J.J. Watt types in this draft, and they are:

Michael Brockers, LSU (6-5 306 4.95) - 1st rounder.
Jared Crick, Nebraska (6-4 285 4.82) - 1st-2nd rounder.
Brett Roy, Nevada (6-3 280 4.88) - 4th rounder.
Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati (6-5 300 5.16) - 4th rounder.
Drew Nowak, Western Michigan (6-4 295 4.98) - 7th rounder. SUPER sleeper (currently), was a beast for WMU with 91 tackles, 20.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 1 FF, and 2 blocked kicks.

I'd like our DL to be something like:

DE - McDonald, J.Smith, Ricky Jean (DE/NT), ROOKIE*, Dobbs, Tukuafu (back from injury)
NT - Sopoaga

Dobbs has seen a lot of ST's action, while Ian Williams has often been inactive. Dobbs ST value I believe earns him a strong shot at making the team, while Williams may end up back on the PS because of RJF's versatility to play NT.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM ]
OTC what do you think of sanu from rutgers? Is he worthy of a late first round selection? like the physicality that he brings and he would be great on crackbacks. Reminds me of a poor man julio jones?
Originally posted by thuglife619:
OTC what do you think of sanu from rutgers? Is he worthy of a late first round selection? like the physicality that he brings and he would be great on crackbacks. Reminds me of a poor man julio jones?

NVM read your comments on the sanu thread. so dwight jones and mcnutt huh?
Originally posted by thuglife619:

He is worthy, probably. But he doesn't quite have the size of Julio (who is about 6-4 220+). However, I don't think he's the kind of player we need right now. He has injury concerns, and the way he plays, he is an injury risk and that's the last thing we need.

I think we would be well served adding a lightning bug and a physical freak to our WR corps. We have a lot of different packages, so we could use both. When I say lightning bug I mean a freakishly quick AND fast guy. Guys like Ginn are burners but don't have elite lateral quickness like Welker and Sproles (not a WR obviously, but just using him as an example). There are very few quick burners though this year. At least right now, no one other than the players below has elevated themselves to draft-worthy consideration yet.

A physical freak + one of the following quick burners would be great:

Jarius Wright, Arkansas (4.34)
Joe Adams, Arkansas (4.38)
Keshawn Martin, Michigan St. (4.44)
T.Y. Hilton, Fla. Int'l (4.48)
Devon Wylie, Fresno St. (4.38)
Patrick Edwards, Houston (4.44)

------------

7th-UDFA guys who need great workouts to rise.

T.J. Graham, N.C. State (4.36)
Travis Benjamin, Miami (4.36)

And that's about it.
Its pretty clear we need a WR, if not with the 1st pick then at least in the 2nd or 3rd. Morgan should be re-signed and back but I'm still not sold on Morgan/Williams/Ginn/Crabtree. Morgan should re-sign on the cheap.

Having Swain out there at the end of he game was kind of embarassing.

Personally I'm fine with any type of WR, I don't think we need size as much as some people think. I have complete faith in Harbaugh knowing how to use players' talent. We just need a playmaker at WR, whether its with their size, speed, YAC, route running ect.

Bascially I don't want to take a WR just because of his size, I want us to take a WR that can be used as a weapon and make it. Sometimes it seems like teams force picks on WR because of size, and they never pan out.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I agree with this too. We definitely need to make sure we have our bases covered. McDonald has been nicked a bit from time to time each season. RJF is very good depth for what McDonald's style is, but I'd like to have a guy who is good depth for what JUSTIN SMITH'S style is (I do think Dobbs if fully developed could be similar actually, but we can't be too sure just yet). Someone who can power through (although power PLUS speed would be great too) is a must, they often command double-teams. McDonald is more speed + technique/leverage. Justin is quickness + POWER + technique/leverage. J.J. Watt is a Justin Smith type.

Drew Nowak, Western Michigan (6-4 295 4.98) - 7th rounder. SUPER sleeper (currently), was a beast for WMU with 91 tackles, 20.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 1 FF, and 2 blocked kicks.

DE - McDonald, J.Smith, Ricky Jean (DE/NT), ROOKIE*, Dobbs, Tukuafu (back from injury)
NT - Sopoaga

Dobbs has seen a lot of ST's action, while Ian Williams has often been inactive. Dobbs ST value I believe earns him a strong shot at making the team, while Williams may end up back on the PS because of RJF's versatility to play NT.

Brockers is the kid to watch out for. His ceiling is so high that I could see a team in the first 15 picks selecting him. Devon Still is the obvious first DT off the board, but then the game begins between Brockers and Worthy to see which DT is next off the board

I am not sure if you noticed the stat line on Watt today: 12 tackles, 9 solo, 3 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, all the while being matched with Marshall Yanda, a Pro-Bowler. Quite a day.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

NT - Sopoaga

Brockers is the kid to watch out for. His ceiling is so high that I could see a team in the first 15 picks selecting him. Devon Still is the obvious first DT off the board, but then the game begins between Brockers and Worthy to see which DT is next off the board

I am not sure if you noticed the stat line on Watt today: 12 tackles, 9 solo, 3 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, all the while being matched with Marshall Yanda, a Pro-Bowler. Quite a day.

I am not sure Still will be the hands down 1st DT off the board. I think Coples will give him a run for his money. Right now, there are quite a few DT/DE that look like they could go somewhere in the 1st round. After Still, Coples, and Brockers, you've also got Cox, Worthy, Poe, and Crick. Even Billy Winn with an outside shot, though I think he goes in the 2nd.
So many variables between now and April, although we will have a much clearer idea where guys will generally fall within the next 45 days. There is almost always a DT picked in that top 5-6 picks and this year I am laying money on Still ending up in Charlotte. Really interested to see what weight Coples comes in at. I still technically list him as a DE, but he may be 290 pounds and headed to a DT or 5 technique. Somewhere around 10th overall. Maybe Brocksrs at 16th, Worthy at 18, Poe at 24. Right now, I think Cox, Winn, Crick land in second round. We will see.
So many variables between now and April, although we will have a much clearer idea where guys will generally fall within the next 45 days. There is almost always a DT picked in that top 5-6 picks and this year I am laying money on Still ending up in Charlotte. Really interested to see what weight Coples comes in at. I still technically list him as a DE, but he may be 290 pounds and headed to a DT or 5 technique. Somewhere around 10th overall. Maybe Brocksrs at 16th, Worthy at 18, Poe at 24. Right now, I think Cox, Winn, Crick land in second round. We will see.

I think the guy from Washington will sneak into the 1st round and go before Poe. I think Ta'amu plays with better leverage and moves quite a bit better.

True, we'll see. I'm sure we'll find somebody. My #1 priority for our draft (well, it's a tie) is WR and OG/C. Ideally, I'd like us to add two WR so we have not only more competition, but hopefully more depth too in the event of injury. Hastings I'm not sure will make it back to the PS after this season. Bogan, when recovered from that ACL, I believe will prove to be the better receiver.

The guy who I see as perhaps the next Wes Welker is Devon Wylie of Fresno State. Hadn't had much of a shot til this year, but he's so incredibly quick, but also FAST. Faster than Welker even. Many don't know that Welker ran in the 4.6's during his workouts, but it's his insane quickness that makes him look faster than he is. Wylie has the 4.3 speed to go along with it.

Right now, I think Devon could be a steal in the late rounds for a team looking for a slot guy. I'd take a shot in the 6th.

NT - Sopoaga

Brockers:

Makes some plays toward the end of the game, but gets handled easily by a single O-lineman way too often. Don't see a dominant D-lineman. Especially for a 3-4 end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQp5lx-hdCM

NT - Sopoaga

Watt is quickly becoming an elite player, no doubting that, however I'm not sure Brockers is anywhere near his level. I don't see a stat line or game footage that impresses me. His physical stature is impressive but I just don't see a guy who blows me away the way JPP did when I watched video of him from college. (And no, I'm not trying to pretend that I have game film, but elite players just kind of jump out quickly, the way Justin Smith does). So while I hear great things of Brockers, I just don't see it.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

NT - Sopoaga

Brockers:

Makes some plays toward the end of the game, but gets handled easily by a single O-lineman way too often. Don't see a dominant D-lineman. Especially for a 3-4 end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQp5lx-hdCM

Brockers won't get drafted high because of what he's done -- he'll get drafted high more because of what teams will believe he can DO in the future. It's not everyday that you get someone with monster upside like him, only a sophomore, coming into the draft.

I had the same worries with Aldon Smith. Only a sophomore, often played too high and would get stonewalled by top competition, although he showed glimpses. But was INSANELY raw with tons of room to grow. Brockers is the same way. Will he max out on his potential? Who knows, but whatever we saw with Aldon, we made the right call, because his growth has been much greater than expected.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

NT - Sopoaga

Brockers:

Brockers won't get drafted high because of what he's done -- he'll get drafted high more because of what teams will believe he can DO in the future. It's not everyday that you get someone with monster upside like him, only a sophomore, coming into the draft.

I had the same worries with Aldon Smith. Only a sophomore, often played too high and would get stonewalled by top competition, although he showed glimpses. But was INSANELY raw with tons of room to grow. Brockers is the same way. Will he max out on his potential? Who knows, but whatever we saw with Aldon, we made the right call, because his growth has been much greater than expected.

How impressive ARE his measurable? What is this potential that everyone sees? I'm not saying it's not there, but is he really THAT impressive physically? Or does he just show glimpses?
Share 49ersWebzone