LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins WR Illinois

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
McShay is already saying that he won't be a star. Now I don't know if he will or not, but I thnk we at least need to give him a shot before we condemn his career to mediocrity. I never cared for McShay anyway.

They didn't think Gore was going to be a star, either. These talking heads are talking out of their asses. Nobody knows how these guys are going do. Take it with a grain of salt.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Anyone feel foolish?

Is the OP even around here anymore? Maybe the light-heartedness of the ribbing from a couple of the "knowledgeable vets" went over my head, but, man, you guys were harsh / borderline mean in reponse to an honest question from a relative "newbie". If the OP got ridiculed off the Webzone, the mods should e-mail the lad (or lass) and warmly ask them back. Come on, guys, you're better than that.
McShay is already saying that he won't be a star. Now I don't know if he will or not, but I thnk we at least need to give him a shot before we condemn his career to mediocrity. I never cared for McShay anyway.

I dont care what these so called " Draft Guru " says cause if they are so good and they are " experts" why arent they a GM for a team or even a Scout. He might not be Stephen Hill or Fleener but we might've gotten ourselves a steal on this one.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he didn't say anything demeaning or out of line. I like it. He's just saying he may never break out into Steve Smith (Car) stardom.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
"Baalke said the Minnesota Vikings called the 49ers to see if they were interested in trading. That would have given the 49ers the third pick in the second round.

But Baalke said he worried that another team would have come in and taken Jenkins before the 49ers. "He would have gone a lot sooner tomorrow than a lot of people think," Baalke said."

This is what separates the good GM's from the great ones. The Patriots would have traded down in a heartbeat. They are the MASTERS of stacking picks and getting the most value out of each pick. If this was a legitimate deal, we should have taken it. Baalke must REALLY love Jenkins, I hope he's right.

Belicheck and the Pats success on draft day is mostly media hype at this point. Despite all their moving around the amount of talent added in the draft by the Pats over the past few years has been limited with as many misses as hits. Even the "best" have their issues.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Gold Helmet means that he's a high character guy. They have talked about that in the past. Baalke and Harbaugh agree that is something that want from a player. If you have selfless players you can move mountains. Baalke also said he doesn't consider a lot of guys if they have questionable character so Janoris Jenkins probably isn't on their list if you follow that reasoning.

yet we sign Cox

Not to a long term deal, not for a lot of money like a 1st round pick would be.

I can see a difference between the low risk / high reward types we've signed in Moss / Cox / Jacobs and the type of player you are investing in in a first round pick.
  • RKab
  • Veteran

That's what you got from that clip? Its the last line. He spent the previous time giving a positive spin and said he'd be a productive good player is not a star. At pick 30, I'm good with that.
Other than the fact that Jenkins might be very good which is the most important thing, I'm starting to feel really good about the perceived value now too.

Might be over thinking but if the Niners had good info that the Rams, or anyone else, were likely to take him in the second (and both organisations had him graded above Hill, Randle etc.), there was very little they could do but stay and pick him where they were. In all likelihood it looks like he was a good bet to go high (rather than mid to late) second round and almost certainly wouldn't have been there at 61.

Trading back (to 31 or 32 at best) wouldn't have netted much extra and The Rams have the first pick in the second so any trade down further opens up the risk that you don't get the guy you want. If The Rams were high on him (and it's a real position of need for them) they take him at 33 or at worst, 39. The Vikes or any other second round trade down becomes moot as soon as The Rams have 33.

Not worth the headache if it's the player you really want just for a fourth round pick and you have the added bonus of not having to go up against him twice a season either. Whether the draft experts think they picked him a half round too early doesn't matter - want the kid, go get the kid.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
As a non-expert a couple things that I've read / heard may have distinguished Jenkins from Randle / Hill

-> All these scouting reports talk about how Jenkins is a sophisticated route runner and can run the whole tree. Stephen Hill on the other hand did not have that level of sophistication and will be a work-in-progress. So Jenkins is more likely to hit the ground running day one, for a team competing for a playoff spot who has a lot of uncertainty at the WR position.

-> The scouting reports also all say Jenkins can separate. Randle was more of a question mark in getting separation. I believe Mayock called out Randle and Sanu about this issue. Now is getting separation a big issue if you had a great QB who can "throw guys open?" Not so much. But with Alex Smith, who needs to see a guy wide open before he deals, separation is huge. So Harbaugh and Baalke know the limitations of their QB and are working to get players to fit.

The biggest concern seems to be his strength. Luckily, the 49ers have weights that he can lift. And those weights can make him stronger :-)

The team got faster and a potential home run hitter who may be able to contribute early on. If you told me that before draft day I'd be OK with it.

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosell Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open
Really liked 49ers pick. Jenkins very good on film. Nice combination of traits. Think he has chance to be quality starting WR.
[ Edited by RKab on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:32 AM ]
The more I read the more I like the pick.

Originally posted by b9er37:
The more I read the more I like the pick.

yeah me too. And hearing about the QB situation at Illinois I know this guy can play with a QB that isnt as coveted.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
you get the bpa, and in their minds, Jenkins was the BPA

I don't believe that at all. I have SERIOUS concerns if they believe that Jenkins is the best player available. This was clearly a NEED pick. Harbaugh got burned last year when it came to WR depth. Edwards, Morgan and Williams all fizzled or went down with injuries. Harbaugh is trying to cover himself against that.

Personally thought they should have went with Fleener.

Well if ALL OF THOSE GUYS FIZZLED and Moss has arthritic knees and hasn't played in a year and failed with his last 2 teams then maybe just maybe this was a real good pick....

The fking world is gonna end when SD isnt complaining about the 1st rd pick. Im scared
"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

-Todd McShay

Makes ya feel a bit better about these "draft gurus"
Originally posted by jreff22:
He fielded a trade request by the Minnesota Vikings that presumably would have given the 49ers Minnesota's second-round pick (35th overall) as well as at least one other pick. Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/04/did-49ers-jump-the-gun-on-jenkins-baalke-doesnt-think-so.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks. Interesting. Curious what that other pick would have been. I'm sure Baalke had his reasons. I won't say I wasn't surprised by the pick, but like the Smith pick last year I wasn't upset with it either.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

-Todd McShay

Makes ya feel a bit better about these "draft gurus"

It doesn't say he can pass. It says the ball explodes.

Hmm.
Share 49ersWebzone