There are 198 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins WR Illinois

Originally posted by mebemused:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by D-Money:
I've said it on numerous threads on here I love AJ Jenkins as something about him reminds me of Jerry. That being said Baalke is full of crap, we should've taken the Minnesota deal as Jenkins absolutely would've been there in the top of the second to middle of the second. I would've loved to get Janoris Jenkins here and AJ in a trade up in round two. All I'm going to say is bye bye Kyle Williams.

What deal was this? Didnt know one was on the table
He fielded a trade request by the Minnesota Vikings that presumably would have given the 49ers Minnesota's second-round pick (35th overall) as well as at least one other pick. Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/04/did-49ers-jump-the-gun-on-jenkins-baalke-doesnt-think-so.html#storylink=cpy

From Maiocco: The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the Rams liked Jenkins so much that his grade wasn't much different than the one their scouting department placed on Justin Blackmon, whom the Jacksonville Jaguars selected with the fifth overall pick. The Rams were expected to take Jenkins with the first pick of the second round, according to the report.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King reported that one receiver-needy team had Jenkins rated higher than Notre Dame's Michael Floyd, whom the Arizona Cardinals selected with the 13th overall pick.

Well D-Money, whose full of crap?

Okay okay. Waking up this morning feels so similar to last year the day after we drafted Aldon Smith. If that article is true about St. Louis than yeah Baalke was 100% correct to stay at 30 and get Jenkins. But well never know, all I know is I do like Jenkins, but still don't like him at this spot.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by valrod33:
hope jenkins learns a thing or two from Jerry

Best Massage Parlors in SF?
I KNEW IT!!!!!...that I had no effin clue what Im talking about. Never again am I going to spend this much time researching the picks that I want. I was shocked to see them pick AJ with so many other players on the board. I guess it's good, because how I feel today about Jenkins, thats the same way I felt about Aldon last year. I know nothing and will not quit my day job . Time to just shut up and enjoy the show.

Trent / Jim...I am but a simple peasant in your kingdom.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Jerry Rice ‏ @JerryRice
@Ajjenkins8 congrats on being a niner! Holla at me will take you to the hill. Lol

Do it A.J.!
Hope Trent B is right on Jenkins. I have been getting texts from my friend who is an Illini alum and he sees every home game and watches most of the rest. He provided a bit of the skinny on Jenkins to me. He says Jenkins had two really good games mid season 2011 (5 TDs) and then went missing TD wise the last 6. The receiving yardage was average those last 6 games. The Illini did not have a very potent passing offense though.He says it is a bit of a reach by Niners to take jenkins first round with Hill and Randle still on the board at WR. The one interesting thing he mentioned about Jenkins was the larger size hands he has for a WR. He said the 40 time does not seem to translate on field in pads. Take it for what it's worth.
[ Edited by jogr49 on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM ]
Anyone hear what they said on KNBR this morning: They gave 4 reasons Jenkins wasn't a reach or a "far reach"

-Peter King said Jenkins would have been taken 5-7 picks after ours.

-Rams were targeting him with their pick early second around (they were upset the 49ers "stole" him)

-Greg Cossell NFL Films said that Jenkins had a late 1st round grade, but he personally had Randle ranked higher

-One NFL team (assuming different than 49ers) gave Jenkins the same grade (mid-1st round) as Malcolm Floyd
Originally posted by Gore_21:
You know what Trent and Jim mean by golden helmet? Good character guy? Team leader? 49ers type of guy?

Like Anthony Davis, Brandon Jacobs(speed racer and multiple locker room issues), Randy Moss(too many to list), Braylon Edwards, Crabtree, and then you figure in the offseasons that Aldon Smith/Ray McDonald have had. Not exactly golden helmet behavior.
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
You know what Trent and Jim mean by golden helmet? Good character guy? Team leader? 49ers type of guy?

Like Anthony Davis, Brandon Jacobs(speed racer and multiple locker room issues), Randy Moss(too many to list), Braylon Edwards, Crabtree, and then you figure in the offseasons that Aldon Smith/Ray McDonald have had. Not exactly golden helmet behavior.

Stick to cheerleaders
Rams traded back and passed on Blackmon because they had Jenkins ranked barely below him, thought they could get him at 33: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18858088/report-rams-liked-wr-aj-jenkins-almost-as-much-as-justin-blackmon-in-2012-nfl-draft
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Originally posted by b9er37:
The more I read the more I like the pick.

yeah me too. And hearing about the QB situation at Illinois I know this guy can play with a QB that isnt as coveted.

I think we found our Mike Wallace

I'm sure a lot of us were saying "WTF" when the Commissioner announced A.J. Jenkins...but after reading Cam Inman's terrific interview of Baalke and Jenkins (see link below), I feel very good about this pick. What a great kid! And he can fly. He's run a 4.31, and did 4.37 at the combine. 90 catches, 1276 yds, 8 TD's. That tells me he gets consistent separation and has very good hands. What a great attitude, which is part of what attracted Harbaugh and Baalke to him. He can learn a TON from Moss, Manningham and even Crabtree. He can return kicks, too. Anyway, here's the link, it's a great read:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/04/26/transcripts-gm-trent-baalke-new-wr-a-j-jenkins/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
AND the fact that we STOLE him away from the Rams makes the pick even cooler. Prtty much leaves them hi and dry
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
He looks like Isaac Bruce to me

More Info on AJ....hope this has not been posted already.

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/a-j-jenkins-8/
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Best WR available that fits the system. plain and simple.
Share 49ersWebzone