There are 166 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Right on, OTC. I mentioned Orson Charles too. I don't know if he's athletic as Hernandez, where you can possibly use him out of the backfield, but that would be such a huge plus. Versatile tight ends make me

I kept hearing about him but never had the chance to watch him. If he plays the same as Hernandez then I would love to get him the team. Might have to look at some youtube highlights.
Originally posted by sfout:
Right on, OTC. I mentioned Orson Charles too. I don't know if he's athletic as Hernandez, where you can possibly use him out of the backfield, but that would be such a huge plus. Versatile tight ends make me

I kept hearing about him but never had the chance to watch him. If he plays the same as Hernandez then I would love to get him the team. Might have to look at some youtube highlights.

One thing I'm worried about is his height. He's listed at 6'3'' but could possibly measure up to 6'1'' - 6'2''. Also, his production in Georgia hasn't been something to jump for joy about, but his potential alone is worth it.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

One thing I'm worried about is his height. He's listed at 6'3'' but could possibly measure up to 6'1'' - 6'2''. Also, his production in Georgia hasn't been something to jump for joy about, but his potential alone is worth it.

Too bad we've got sit around until his pro day or the combine to find out his legitimate measurements.
Originally posted by dj43:
We definitely could use a second PASS CATCHING TE that can operate in the middle and under zones. Think Jimmy Graham. His height and hands automatically makes him an open receiver as soon as he walks to the LOS.

More and more, with rule changes protecting defenseless receivers, the game is played in the air. That means a tall guy with basketball skills: Hands, box out, body shield. all of that.

I agree from a strategic point of view on where the game is going this makes sense. Further, the WR crop available where the Niners pick have high risk written all over them to me. From an offensive point of view, Harbaugh loves running his multiple TE sets and unbalanced lines so having another TE who can generate offense out of those schemes would be huge. Most importantly, it would boost offensive production without having to change too much of the offense. Now, if you pair Fleener with one good WR free agent signing, a WR draft prospect, and resign Ginn and Morgan, and you have a significant boost in your offense from last year.

I'm liking Fleener at 30. Problem is, I'm sure lots of other teams like Fleener as well. As the Patriots and Saints have shown, offenses can be driven by TE's and the NFL is a copycat league.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Fleener is expected to run in the mid 4.7 range. If he clocks a 4.5 I will be the first to jump on the "Fleener in the first" bandwagon.

No way he falls to #30 if he runs a 4.5. Too many TE needy teams who want the next Vernon Davis, Gronkowski, Graham, etc.
Is Fleener the top rated TE coming out. Last year Kyle Rudolph went late in the 1st round to the Vikings. The Trend was still building though. Now with the playoffs showing really big games from Graham, VD, Gronk, etc... Yeah more teams will definately jump on board with the big TE's. Fleener's stock will rise to a 1st rounder. Last year Harbaugh wanted the Stanford fullback and Clevland got him first. I wonder if they will be more aggressive to get him if they want him or if they target another big TE at all.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Is Fleener the top rated TE coming out. Last year Kyle Rudolph went late in the 1st round to the Vikings. The Trend was still building though. Now with the playoffs showing really big games from Graham, VD, Gronk, etc... Yeah more teams will definately jump on board with the big TE's. Fleener's stock will rise to a 1st rounder. Last year Harbaugh wanted the Stanford fullback and Clevland got him first. I wonder if they will be more aggressive to get him if they want him or if they target another big TE at all.

I think Allen will be top rated due to his athletic ability with Fleener coming up 2nd. I just have a feeling that Allen will get taken between 15-25 and then Green Bay will snatch up Fleener 2 picks in front of the 49ers since he would be PERFECT for their system and Finley will probably walk as a free agent.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by dj43:
We definitely could use a second PASS CATCHING TE that can operate in the middle and under zones. Think Jimmy Graham. His height and hands automatically makes him an open receiver as soon as he walks to the LOS.

More and more, with rule changes protecting defenseless receivers, the game is played in the air. That means a tall guy with basketball skills: Hands, box out, body shield. all of that.

I agree from a strategic point of view on where the game is going this makes sense. Further, the WR crop available where the Niners pick have high risk written all over them to me. From an offensive point of view, Harbaugh loves running his multiple TE sets and unbalanced lines so having another TE who can generate offense out of those schemes would be huge. Most importantly, it would boost offensive production without having to change too much of the offense. Now, if you pair Fleener with one good WR free agent signing, a WR draft prospect, and resign Ginn and Morgan, and you have a significant boost in your offense from last year.

I'm liking Fleener at 30. Problem is, I'm sure lots of other teams like Fleener as well. As the Patriots and Saints have shown, offenses can be driven by TE's and the NFL is a copycat league.
I like Fleener alot but if they can't get him I still hope they go the 2 TE route like the Pats do. With our weird formations and Ball control offense it would make more sense to me. Everyone keeps talking about Colston and Bowe and all these high priced FA, etc... They want to put lots of wr's out there for Alex because they see what Rodgers and Bree's do and that's what they want. Those teams are built different though and we don't want Alex throwing 40 times a game. If we resign Goldson, Alex and C. Rodgers than we won't have alot of money to spend. So draft Fleener and it costs less. VD and Flenner and Crabtree still leaves you with great blocking for your ball control offense. Lots of mis-matches on the field. You can still draft a big fast wr in the 2nd and 3rd. And Fleener already knows the offense so it's less of a learning curve.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Allen will be top rated due to his athletic ability with Fleener coming up 2nd. I just have a feeling that Allen will get taken between 15-25 and then Green Bay will snatch up Fleener 2 picks in front of the 49ers since he would be PERFECT for their system and Finley will probably walk as a free agent.

trading up three in the end of the first would probably take a 4th, and the 49ers seem to hate those the way they get rid of 'em
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

trading up three in the end of the first would probably take a 4th, and the 49ers seem to hate those the way they get rid of 'em

i think the packers will address there horrific defense in the first with a solid DE. They have enough weapons but anything can happen
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

i think the packers will address there horrific defense in the first with a solid DE. They have enough weapons but anything can happen

They are pretty serious about BPA. If the value isn't there for a passrusher, they might get something else instead of reaching.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:

They are pretty serious about BPA. If the value isn't there for a passrusher, they might get something else instead of reaching.

thats true that they may go BPA but i dont see fleener being the BPA at their pick. If we pick him up at 30 it wont be bc hes the BPA, it will be bc we have a need for a tall receiver. As of now i see them taking Nick Perry
People keep talking about Fleener's size and speed helping the passing game. But along with this, the kid is a pretty good run blocker too! Plus he has the frame to add a bit more bulk and muscle (working out with VD!). So that formation would be dangerous if it was disguised and we passed out of it, and could be just as dangerous if we ran it.
i wouldn't be opposed to taking him at #30 but ONLY if we get some studs at WR in FA
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wouldn't be opposed to taking him at #30 but ONLY if we get some studs at WR in FA

this

if i had the choice between fleener and wright/sanu/jeffery

it would be one of the 3 WR all day with our current roster
  • cools
  • Veteran
He's on my list (Trade up a bit in the 2nd)

But Harbs/Baalke will end up doing somthing none of us expect, we will be mad about at the time
and then praise him later
Share 49ersWebzone